Game-Labs Forum
admin

Please post your major annoyances

1: The wrong flag for Sweden, the one ingame is not accurate. It should be the three tongued one without the symbol in the center.

2: No telescope on the open sea, id like to zoom in on islands in the horizion etc. And hailing atm seems abit to easy, that as soon as a ship get rendered in I can hail him, would like to have abit more of suspens by trying to identify a ship by looking at his flag.

3: Waves clipping my ship, make it look like im going submerged from time to time

4: The AI's laser-accurate shooting

Edited by Ponk

One thing that niggles me is when you fire your cannon,you dont actually see the ball strike the ship like you did in the Test games,all you get is some splintering,i really would like to see the balls point of impact.

One thing that niggles me is when you fire your cannon,you dont actually see the ball strike the ship like you did in the Test games,all you get is some splintering,i really would like to see the balls point of impact.

Hmm, that's strange, because I can see the impact point and marking appear on the targeted ship where the shot hits.

Hmm, that's strange, because I can see the impact point and marking appear on the targeted ship where the shot hits.

I see the ball leave the cannon and travel to the target and then it just "disappears" and then i get the splinter effect.

Trying not to repeat others... but...

1) Battle instances need to be revisited for all the reasons above.

2) Basic information is hard to get/find. For example, there are stats you can only see when in port.

3) Less an annoyance, and more a fear: This is not World of Warcraft. It is the age of sail, where honour was a real, honest to god thing and where there was more to life than fighting. That we are already talking about ganking makes me worried. Don't let this turn into a completely ahistorical free-for-all. Please don't let this turn into a multiplayer Grand Theft Auto with sails.

1- Lack of group chat / Not working group option / Lack of nation chat. Chat is a mess, You have to manually open it everytime You enter a battle, etc.
2- I prefer longer day, shorter night. It's always so foggy.
3- Lack of trading / player trading / selling modules / lack of loot from traders even if they have "contrabant loot" written on them.
4- Boardin mechanic.

Also most important 5- No information on OW how much money and exp You have.

1) AI accuracy & caronade range

2) No ability to check status (points & gold) in OW

3) No ability to get lat, long, position 'fix'.  I don't mind not having a map as there are plenty out there but in the age of sail they did have the tools to get a 'fix' on their positions and then use charts & time and distance calculations to provide dead reckoning navigation.

Haven't been aware of the module stacking but agree with the comments made above, Nation chat seems like a good idea as would a warning that you can't buy something that is no use to your current status/ship in the shops

Keep up the great work guys!

1. ALT F4 /Stacking/ and other types of exploits. Maybe not restrict to 1 slot only per upgrade type but rather to look at upgrades individually. Some upgrades could be possible to stack 2 times, some 4 times and some only 1 time. No machineguns wanted. But lets say reinforced masts could be stacked 2 times. Or hammocks 2 times but faster re-load only 1. You get the idea...

2. Panick button- I wrote a topic about this. Just a temporary fix but as long as we got bugs that can get you stuck inside an island when for example leaving a port we need somekind of way out other than recreating the account. Having the possibility to blow your own ship up in OW. With a long countdown of some 10 minutes with possibility to cancel during the countdown would give another way out.

3. well Have to think about this one. The first 2 being the most important ones in my opinion.

1. Module stacking, while I haven't personally had much experience with it seems like a big problem so I'll put it first

2. NPC accuracy at range

3. NPCs ignoring wind in OW (they can also sail through islands)

4. Cannonball and splash clipping and hitbox issues

Edited by Hra_N

1. Boarding:  Extremely broken and inconsistent.  

2. AI Mechanics: Tone down the accuracy and sailing ability.  I'm all for having more challenging AI, but not in the way it currently is.  The AI is extremely "stupid" and you can easily exploit this to get them sailing in circles and getting stuck in the wind. (This is how I capture navy brigs with a lynx).

However, the accuracy at range is too much and they seem to be able to turn more sharply in battle mode than player controlled ships (with identical tacking and "sailing" selected I cannot turn as fast as an AI in the same ship).  In OW the AI seems unaffected by wind direction.

3. Localized instances:  Your relative position and wind direction carries over into the battle instance from OW but none of the terrain or time of day.

If I engage someone trapped downwind against shallows that should carry over into the battle instance instead of it being open water.

Half of the issues mentioned in the topic will be fixed next patch (OW Patch 1) that will be delivered in 1.5 weeks (we will post the list once patch is finalize)

The other 25% will be fixed in patch 2.

Visuals will have to wait for one internal reason which we will talk about in another post some time later this week. (personal issues with couple of employees)

Please keep issues coming captains. Very useful post for us.

1. ALT F4 /Stacking/ and other types of exploits. Maybe not restrict to 1 slot only per upgrade type but rather to look at upgrades individually. Some upgrades could be possible to stack 2 times, some 4 times and some only 1 time. No machineguns wanted. But lets say reinforced masts could be stacked 2 times. Or hammocks 2 times but faster re-load only 1. You get the idea...

2. Panick button- I wrote a topic about this. Just a temporary fix but as long as we got bugs that can get you stuck inside an island when for example leaving a port we need somekind of way out other than recreating the account. Having the possibility to blow your own ship up in OW. With a long countdown of some 10 minutes with possibility to cancel during the countdown would give another way out.

3. well Have to think about this one. The first 2 being the most important ones in my opinion.

To point number 1,  The main reason I am advocating 1 of any type is the upgrades become much easier to balance that way, and the keep in mind that a ship comes with its own permanent fittings that could naturally stack with the upgrades we place on.  One of any type will give real choice, while remaining simple, and easy to balance.  In the future we may also have officers that play into things as well.  In any case, some kind of cap is clearly needed.

1: AI ships can sail through land, and they have the same speed no regardless of the wind direction.

2: Disconnect: the time for the ship to disappear is too short. Make it 1 minutes or something.

3: AI accurate and their canon range.

4: small ship can't sail in shallow water.

5: the game sometime just spike and laggy, my ship just stop for second then continue

6: where is my beautiful yacht. I don't want to sail in a lynx! 

Hello Captains. 

Please list your top three (top 3) annoyances with the open world. If you have more please post more.

random shop, shallows, grind.

1. The 250HP outboard motor affixed to every AI ship allowing them to virtually ignore the wind. This doesn't make them hard, this hurts immersion as they tack over and over in a small area; with this removed and with keeping the current accuracy of fire (sans the 1km carronades) and ability to reload they will behave much better and make for a more immersive experience.

I've experienced the stages of the game for new OW players on TS the past 2 weeks, it goes from excited praise to 'oh c'mon this is getting old, this son of a bitch is turning in damn circles the whole time' or 'wtf is this crap with the super tack power' etc, so this is a big one for a lot of people. That and the long range carronades is the two I hear from the guys who have been in 1-5 days.

2. Module stacking beyond believable limits i.e. cannon reloads under 30 seconds. I still think each captain can choose to focus on a specific skill for his crew, so maybe we can stack modules, but after a certain real life physical limit (i.e. sails can only rise and yards can only turn so fast) they have no effect. Stacking limits could be set to 'universal cannon reload for an x-pounder is a minimum time of xyz' then no matter if there are permanent modules or affixed modules, they are wasted past that hard limit.

3. Visual issues would go here like buoyancy and sailing through islands, but since those are being addressed separately, then I'll say frequency of fire and ricochets. Both are awesome, but happen far, far too much. 

1) The cannon class metric does not really tell you weather or not you can fit cannons of that class to that slot. 

For example. The snow fitting class 7-8 guns on the bow chasers. I tried both 6lb and 6lb long guns they will attach and then end up back in my warehouse. 

I suggest either adding other information about fitting, cannons and the ship fitting slots or replacing the class with a class and type identifier (class 8 = class 8L,8M, 8C) and each slot having a class and a type making.  (7C-8LMC) 

2) The view angle on the OS should be adjustable a little more, when sailing around i find myself squinting at the top 10% of my screen trying to see sails.

3) Lack of 360 point compass and spyglass on OS.

Edited by Jack Feathersword

Note: these are disappoints in current state in relation to the vision for a completed game. I don't really have disappoints in the game as an Alpha. It already far better and more stable than I expected.

1. Disconnect between open world weather, time of day, map location (shorelines and shallows) and battle instance.  While I understand battles must be instanced, it would be great if they could be connected as closely as possible to the beautifully crafted open world you have built.

2. Battle instance late joining mechanics and ease with which they can be exploited. Joining late should not be rewarded, and instances should only stay open long enough for ships within a reasonable distance to join.

3. Upgrade system feels more MMORPG than age of sail to me. Stacking, names, gaining as loot all take away from authenticity, player economy and player-skill focus of the game. I'd prefer a system where combat at sea leads to gaining experience, resources (treasure, trade goods, supplies), ship prizes and components (cannon, sails, spars, cordage, limited special equipment, etc.), and physical changes to your ship are crafted in ports utilizing resources and components. Modified stats should be aggressively capped, especially in areas of ship handling and reload. There should also be more opportunity costs (e.g. increasing berthing reduces cargo hold, reinforcing masts/spars increases sail handling time, etc.). Some upgrades currently handled as installed physical modules would be better handled as officer skills (e.g. Master Carpenter increases repair % rather than nonsensical "Steel Toolbox"), with officers having both opportunity to improve bonuses with experience, but at risk of loss in battle if ship is sunk (providing additional, logical incentive to surrender rather than fight to death in all circumstances).

1.  Modules and module stacking:  Nerf the modules, organize them in 5 tiers with a small bonus per tier (2% accuracy bonus at tier 1, 4% at tier 2, etc).  Reduce module upgrade slots to three.  In this way you can allow stacking or customization of certain characteristics, but it automatically means you cannot have great bonuses elsewhere.  Also - modules are destroyed when a ship is sunk, not when it is sunk at the end of it's 5 lives.  The drop rate of modules should be reduced.  If the drop rate stays the same and crafting of modules becomes possible you will have a market flooded with modules that do not sell as no one loses any modules in combat and no one will pay for modules when they can just beat up on a.i. ships and wait for drops.  You could also make crafted modules 50% better than non-crafted ones (so a tier 1 crafted module offers 3% accuracy bonus vs. 2% for the non-crafted one).

Ultimately, with just three upgrade slots and nerfed modules you give a captain the ability to do some things, but not all things.  And with perishable modules he will be risking something by mounting them.  You want an advantage over your opponent?  Pay the fiddler if you lose.  In fact, some of your modules should drop in your wreckage to be looted by the captain that bested you.

2.  Need a telescope on the Open Sea and the ability to zoom further out - not far, but further than it is now.

3.  Chat functionality - nation chat at a minimum.  Ideally, the ability to create private chat channels that include as many or as few players as necessary.

Overall Open World is a remarkable achievement, it's big and beautiful and fun to explore.  The size gives it heft, and makes for a feeling of accomplishment when you accomplish feats of navigation.  The battles are visceral, the smoke and sound effects are great.  I hate how accurate the a.i. is, how the a.i. Snows out-turn player Lynx' but I can live with it.

Everyone I am sailing with is excited about the Open World and is having a blast.  Great work.

ps - almost forgot.  Repair timers and a.i. repairs.  I have seen a.i. ships reduced to zero armor and watched them return to almost 100% by using their repairs.  Repairs should work as slowly as ours, and a cooldown should be required between using repairs - both for a.i. and players.  As it is now, a player basically has to sink an a.i. twice to accomplish a single kill.

(1) No Telescope in open sea

(2) No Map

(3) AI accuracy and sailing, abilities well beyond what a human player could achieve

Minor:

(4) Captured ships don't have cannons new ships don't come with with them. I bought a ship only to realize that I didn't have money for guns, then had to sell the ship for half price annoying. 

(5) Travel time is super long, if I spawn in St John and want to go to the edge of Cuba to meet my fleet they have to wait for me for more than 3 hours. In my mind it would lead most players to stay very local, even in big ships. Not me of course because I'm an addict but most other aren't I hope. 

(6) It would be awesome if the battle instances could reflect time of day, and tactical situation of OW. So, if I trap someone in a bay on a lee shore at night in a gale we should spawn in a battle instance in a bay with my appoint on a lee shore at night with a full gale blowing. 

Edited by yamms

In no particular order and ignoring the top 3 limit  :P

1) excessive gun loss

2) NPCs kiting at 900m while accurately hitting you. NPCs doing this while going upwind at twice your speed.

3) The shop never, ever, has what you want to buy at the same time that you have money to buy it (also once you get past a certain rank you can't find the guns for lower rank ships).

4) Captured ships are more or less useless because a good set of fittings and guns (which you'll lose if you sink in a 1 dura ship) costs more than a Santisima and you aren't competitive in pvp without these fittings.

5) stacking same type exotic fittings for absurd results

1. Shooting in the Open World without go in a battle

2. If someone goes out in a battle his ship stand there for 1 Minute [For example he press ALT + F4]

3. Individualize your Ship for example black sails or something else

Travel Speed is to fast!!!

Edited by haiduc18

omg only 3.. there r so many :P

1) attacks of AI on open sea. It annoys me that the AI is very active at attacking on open sea. sometimes im stuck in the wind when i try to reach a port and the AI attacks me. I would love to see a bribe/overwhelm system.

If AI attacks you get 3 options:

* You can fight (pulled into a battlefield),

* overwhelm (AI comes barking at you and u bark back. 50/50 percent chance. You scare them off and you dont pay gold and you dont get pulled in to a battlefield or they dont get scared of you and they will still pull you in a battlefield),

* bribe (you give a certain amount of gold and they will sail away. no battlefield)

2) AI shoot cannonballs as if they are laser-guided from distances over 800 meters with pinpoint accuracy. They turn at inmensly high turningspeed and (aspecially the smaller ships) are very hard to hit. Sometimes I had to shoot up to 6 ranging shots till I hit the target (mostly because i cant see if the cannonball splash is in front or behind the target) and after I finally got a hitting ranging shot and i fire my full broadside, about 90% of the balls still miss target. You have to be very close to the enemie to do enough damage.

3) No Logbook/map. In my opinion it should not be necessary to use a out-game tool to properly navigate in game. (what if google maps didnt exsist?!)

I think its crucial to atleast know the starting point like Oranjestad on st eustatius. If ppl look up Oranjestad on Google maps it will show Oranjestad on Aruba wich is on the south side of the map. If people think they are on arube, they will sail east.. and we all know there is nothing east of st eustatius and players will get lost). A good sollution for this problem would be a starting point and a Logbook. When u discover an island or a marking point it will automatically be registered in "the captains log" so that next time when u sail near that point u will get a notification where u r.

One last point...

Players who are trying to level up fighting AI ships/fleets often get annoyed by other enemie ships. I think that if a player attacks an AI ship/fleet it should only be possible for the players faction to join the battle. If a player attacks an enemie player it should be possible for players of both sides to join the fight.

Over all I really enjoy the open world already at this early stage of testing and I am quite optimistic about this game, but that is what I found on annoyances

-What I don't like is the lack of bigger for-after rigged ships to buy, at least the privateer and maybe something a bit bigger, maybe also with a trader version

Since after doing a lot of travelling in the open world, more then 4500 nm all together, I like the lynx for its for-after rigging which make for fast travel with various winds and gives you the ability to run away from AI fights you can not win.

-I am not really happy with the way the AI tags you. The tagging range feels to big and or the timer to short. In the lynx, but specially in the privateer you keep getting dragged into battles you basicly already run away from and then spend 5 min. of battle time waiting for a timer to run out, really annoying if the enemy ships are already 900-1000 behind you at battle spawn in a brig or so.

-the first time I set an enemy ship on fire it did blow up in my face after only mere sec (2-3 sec). So I was unable do any thing to clear away from it, really annoying since I was sailing a captured ship. Both ships privateers, maybe the should be a minimum time before the fire reaches the magazine to give you at least a chance to get a way

-captured ships having only 1 dura makes them almost useless, maybe they should get half the duras the ship had before you capture it. So a new ship (5 duras) gives you 3 duras, a used ship (3-4 duras) gives you 2 duras and a worn ships (1-2) give you only 1 dura

-AI of trader ships, they should try to run as specially the trader brig and not circling you. It doesn't really makes sense for an unarmed ship to present you the same broadside at all cost, does it now?

-AI for fighting ships is way better now then in sail trail, but there gunnery is a bit to good, they are using the same gun as us after all, aren't they?

-you should get more exp for boarding ships since that is what historically was the aim most of the time and its more tricky then just sinking a ship so it should be rewarded more (not just more gold)

-the lack of things you can only do at you home port or allied ports removes most reasons to be in your starting area and any feeling of been home. It maybe a bit tricky to test and compare the different nations starting positions till there is something to do there

-when buying ships you should be able to see its equipment setting, gun decks slot / levels and so on. So you know what gun you will need for that ship

Biggest Annoyances:

A lot of good ones already here, so I'll put a few of mine that aren't already covered:

1. AI Traders are WAY overcrewed.  Reduce crew on trading vessels to no more than 15 people.
  2. Lack of diversity of Traders - Add Lynx and Cutter Traders.
  3. Day/Night Cycle - Please make this half as fast as it is now.  I know it's "accurate" for the accelerated travel speed, but it's just too fast to be able to enjoy it and use it for tactical purposes.