Game-Labs Forum
admin

Please post your major annoyances

admin    28,086

Hello Captains. 

Please list your top three (top 3) annoyances with the open world. If you have more please post more.

TommyShelby    3,161

1. Being able to stack modules as much as we want to. 

2. AI sometime being able to do stuff that we can't (They use magic). I'm referring to them sometimes sailing straight upwind and being able to fire their cannons during a boarding action. 

3. I have no other annoyances, i'm looking forward to what is already planned! ;) 

maturin    5,454

The Big Three

1. Ranging shots now fire from both decks. This might be useful when raking an enemy at point-blank range, but it is ruinous for accuracy at all other times. Needs to be a toggle if included.

2. Carronades still have high trajectories like a catapult, making it too easy to overshoot. They should use similar ballistics to double shot, but with better range.

3. OW storms slow us down to 1-2 knots in the worst case scenario. Square riggers should always be able to sail downwind from storms at a decent rate, and larger ships should be affected less.

Lesser Complaints

4. Yards and sails do not trim properly when sailing in the OW.

5. Sometimes the rudder reverses inappropriately at very slow speeds. Eg, speedometer reads -0.02 but rudder is not reversed. Or rudder is prematurely reversed at 0.5 knots.

6. Broadsides for small vessels are guaranteed miss now because of large delays and random spread. Impossible to account for movement of target because broadside don't roll from forward to aft. I use almost exclusively ranging shots now.

7. Bots survive enormous magazine explosions and repair.

Laik    395

1. The primary issue I encountered (and shamefully resorted to on occasion) is the ultimate escape button combo which is Alt+F4. The are 2 factors making it an exploit in my opinion: too short time for a ship to disappear and being able to do this with keeping full sails. This is unbeatable right now because if the target remains at full sails there is no way of catching him in 30 seconds or so (don't know the exact timer) when he hits Alt+F4. After that you can just log in, use invisibility/invulnerability to run and log off again once it wears off. I would suggest to make the ship cut sails to 0% when you exit the game and making the ship stay there longer. (inb4 'you're just a ganker, you just want to gank people' accusations - No, i'm not biased on this, I consider this a legitimate exploit which has the potential to be gamebreaking)

2. Number 2 annoyance - no limit on when you can enter an instance. It provides opportunity for people to do mega ganks, making it possible for players who are half an hour away to join the battle and drag it indefinitely. Also I had seen (and experienced myself) many times a situation when people fight a pack for 40 minutes only to have some little ship join the battle right at the end (being very far upwind as the battle naturally moves downwind) when you are about to finish the last ship. He can then either sink the prizes you've taken earlier, capture them and run or just stay in an instance keeping you there until the very end causing you to lose your hard earned prizes (which I read on the forums is happening often).

3. The final annoyance and possible exploit I can think of. Right now there is no set time in which the instance closes. But if the player who was in the instance leaves it, it closes then. This leaves opportunity for exploitation. Gankers can jump someone in force, and then one of them quits the instance, leaving enemy no opportunity to bring reinforcements. Again I think this could be remedied by making a set amount of time (say 10 minutes) when anyone can join the instance (minus the people who left if obviously).

Top 3 annoyances:

1) broadside delay and/or firing order

2) combat map should match OS map, many battles were won or lost by the terrain, I know this is likely planned for later

3) OS speed directly influenced by the wind.  I think it should be an average speed for the amount of time compression and account for some amount of tacking etc.  Otherwise, you are unable to navigate certain shallow areas without the wind, but perhaps that is intentional?

My top 3 likes others find annoying:

1) sinking and not getting gold or experience, this is good and eliminates suicide behaviour

2) no map, I actually like that we don't get a map

3) module stacking, I actually like being able to do this, a ship only has so many modules, if you want to double or triple something that seems ok, because other areas will suffer

And one last quip:

*) ai is too strong for brand new players, I have been playing NA for a few months now and found the ai tough, I cant imagine what a new player would do, likely quit?

Cheers...

Young    474

1. Global Chat ignore. You can block PM's but not "liberated speakers" in global chat. Having that would be great. 

2. Faction/Nation chat function. Would be nice to be able to speak with just your nation with a click of a button. 

3. Range AI can fire Cannonades i know it has been addressed but that's one of my big ones. 

Jack Frost    107

Why is nobody putting the map in there top 3? i'd be pretty annoyed if i had to alt-tab for navigation all the time.

Edit: I'm talking about a map without gps/location marker.

Edited by Jack Frost

Epyx OnE    1

Annoying

1) AI firing while Boarding Action - AI hits with every shot of one broadside

2) Wind turning very fast in OW. It should be a bit more slower for a long trip.

3) Cerberus broadside firing delay

just a little annoying

4) OW speeds are higher than in a battle (you have a higher knot counter, like wind is coming from S im heading NE and got 20 kn on a snow but when sailing SW I only got 13kn.

5) Ships without crew and no sails set start sailing in one direction. I just had one starting to raise sails without crew on it.

thats it I think.

Prater    5,325

1.  Stacking on reload modules.  You should not be able to reload a 24 lber in less than 15 seconds.  Tommy has proven the effectiveness of this immensely.

2.  Laik ganked one of our members.  we set up a ring around him so he couldnt escape.  he quit out before his invisibility timer expired.  That is just plain dumb.

3.  Being able to add friends WITHOUT their approval so they can see if you are online.  The Rakers keep doing this and I have to keep removing them.  Block and Ignore IS NOT an option.  I don't want to block them or ignore them.  I only want to APPROVE their friend request.

4.  24lb balls bouncing off lynxes and brigs.

5.  Frequency of fires.  needs to be way less.  once you get to a larger ship you start one or more per battle.  that goes up when you have multiple large ships.  it should be very rare.  one per day maybe.

Kaos    375

1. So many ways to avoid a fight on OS: tagging npc + the dull alt+f4 logout thing (thanks TDA for making us aware of this!).

2. PvE progression (compared to ST1 where you could avoid all pve, perhaps skirmish or some viable arena progression will be available in future against other players)

3. Lack of practice room

DraigUK    30

1. Getting stuck when upgrading ship due to no guns and lack of gold to buy them.

2. Length of time stuck in a storm

3. Length of time travelling with no ships to been seen, sometimes for hours.

Less annoying:-

4.Having to use external tools for a map

5. Accuracy of AI shots at range

6. Lack of chat options for ignore/nation only chat

Chustler    1,353

I'll second Praters list

1. After Testing some setups, I am actually of the mind that we should not be able to put any 2 of the same upgrade items on 1 ship.  1 Item of any type should give plenty of room for customization without breaking the essence of what any given ship should be capable of.

Laik    395

After much deliberation I would like to add that I strongly agree about Tommy Shelby's first concern (an excellent point I must say which I didn't fully appreciate before). I would also like to elaborate on it a little bit since I don't feel Tommy explained the issue sufficiently in depth. Recently I had an unpleasant meeting with an individual (who will remain unnamed as I don't want to engage in any 'name and shame' campaigns like certain other people here do) who took great advantage of and issue raised by Tommy. Apparently it is very much possible to stack 5 upgrades (to be precise Powder Monkeys which add to the reload speed of one's guns) to achievie a machine gun like frequency of fire (5x -15% to reload time is it? could be -20%) which is very unhistorical in my opnion (I'm not an expert mind you, so correct me if I'm wrong on this one). I find these severely gamebreaking for people like me who are trying to immerse themselves into the age of sail time period that this game strives to accurately represent. I would be very much obliged if mine and Tommy's concern (who no doubt must have similar experiences since he raised it) will be given appropriate attention.

maturin    5,454

After much deliberation I would like to add that I strongly agree about Tommy Shelby's first concern (an excellent point I must say which I didn't fully appreciate before). I would also like to elaborate on it a little bit since I don't feel Tommy explained the issue sufficiently in depth. Recently I had an unpleasant meeting with an individual (who will remain unnamed as I don't want to engage in any 'name and shame' campaigns like certain other people here do) who took great advantage of and issue raised by Tommy. Apparently it is very much possible to stack 5 upgrades (to be precise Powder Monkeys which add to the reload speed of one's guns) to achievie a machine gun like frequency of fire (5x -15% to reload time is it? could be -20%) which is very unhistorical in my opnion (I'm not an expert mind you, so correct me if I'm wrong on this one). I find these severely gamebreaking for people like me who are trying to immerse themselves into the age of sail time period that this game strives to accurately represent. I would be very much obliged if mine and Tommy's concern (who no doubt must have similar experiences since he raised it) will be given appropriate attention.

Please re-write your post in 1,2,3 list format.

We want this topic to have maximum legibility for the devs, so they can aggregate a lot of simple feedback without reading prose and complex sentences.

Nathaniel    275

1. Lack of factional chat

2. Upgrade stacking

3. No /unstack option if you get spawned in an unreachable port

And if it's really so easy to avoid a fight by alt+f4, then it's a very heavy concern too.

Stonehouse    4

From my viewpoint so far it is mostly the accuracy of AI fire, probably already thought of but AI crews should have a gunnery skill rating that ties into their role but allow for random quirks. eg a trader usually will not be accurate in their fire or fast to reload but every now and then you may find a trader captain who trains his crew to a higher standard. A pirate crew will most likely be better but may not be too as they weren't always the most disciplined so might be accurate but slow. Navy crews you'd expect a high standard from but even then there were show boat captains that were all gold leaf and not nasty messy gunnery.However it shouldn't be dumbed down to the point of people being able to farm AI.

Most of the other things I find annoyances are simply due to it being alpha at present, eg buying the wrong cannons accidently but then not being able to do anything with them or get the money back. 

One thing I would like to see is amount of sail you can carry linked to wind speed and at least it should be that sail damage is incurred if you have too much sail up in storms or strong winds.

A thing I do really like is the size of the map and the accuracy and a recent trip from St Johns to Kingston using google maps was fantastic and the shapes of the land and bays matched the map to a high degree. Contrary to some others I found the fact that when you were away from the ports and main routes and the traffic did thin out was good and seeing a sail on the horizon was always a tension making moment (I was sailing a Lynx) until you either confirmed what it was or avoided them if you could. Getting caught by pirates a couple of times south of Haiti and just managing to get clear was a highlight.

Puchu    747

After 15 minutes of gaming:

1. Smoke (WHY should it be a good thing to NOT see where your shots are goig? especially if you only have 4-3 cannons per side)

2. Waiting time for the precision on the guns

3. The starting ships are a pain to sail because of the instability

Basically ... shooting and gunnery in general has become a pain in the ass, no precision possible, its just some luck and estimation festival... I'm very very annoyed by the gunnery changes! 

Edited by Puchu

Scout    87

No1 : Module stacking  ( limit it to 1 per type )

No2 : No ingame map

No3 : the fact your crew auto fills after combat ( want to see players go back to the bar to recruit sailors )

Nation chat is also that will be good to have in do time 

Edited by Scout

Schuetzengel    180

1. Module stacking

2. shooting mechanics (especially the huge scattering when moving the guns horizontally and ricochet of cannon balls at reasonable angles like 45° with high caliber guns vs. thin armor)

3. never closing battle instances

kang    76

1)  Getting your guns on target is mostly guesswork at this point.  Even if you let them settle, if you move the pointer around too much, you have to let them resettle. I don't mind that mechanic at all but you kind of need some sort of feedback to know where your guns are aimed at currently or at least some indication that they are all on target and ready to fire.

2) Having to click spam to select a long range target in OW.  Might be too unrealistic but a cycle targets command would be super nice.

3) The post battle and item UIs are a little clunky. 

Daniboy3000    63

1. AI fleets, if im in a more populated area, e. g. Jamaica i get constantly attacked by AI fleets, sometimes a bunch of small ships, sometimes with Suprises and Trincomolees. I am always able to get away, but its annyoing to waste 5 minutes so often, since every AI fleet bigger or stronger than me to a certain degree attacks me. Would be nice if they attacked you not everytime they see you.

2. AI behavior in battles: i feel they constantly tacking back and forth which can be a bit boring, i guess this just them beeing really good (they are tought to beat sometimes), but it would be nice having some variation in their behevior.

3. The AI accuracy is sometimes way to high, hitting full broadsides at 500+ yards without ranging shoots, also the range of carrondes especially in the trader snow seems to be way to high.

marecek05    382

Major:

1. Module stacking

2. Trader snow sniper carronades (being a part of a larger problem - AI being too accurate for new players)

3. Instances having no closing time to enter

Minor:

1. Wind going in circles (accurate wind patterns would be much preferred)

2. No XP and gold after sinking, or striking your colors - This will be much less of an issue, when there will be other ways to make gold and xp (crafting, trade, packet service, etc.)

3. Yesterday i journeyed from montserrat to haiti, and any shipping was very scarce. (ship only started appearing near dominican side of haiti). I think there should be something for me to do in such a case, fiddle with sails trim, or something similiar.

BTW: I love the distances and time compression, once you manage to make the ship not look like a speed boat, it will be spot on. I am also getting strong mount and blade feels from the OW.

scepo    89

1. module stacking

2. having to alt tab to google maps constantly

just those 2 other things are small annoyances that i am sure will get fixed eventually

Rafael    67

1. Hail distance need to be slightly shorty say 30% and we need the telescope and ship flags on the open ocean

2. Capped ships have no cannons once the battle they were capped in ends

3. Nation chat and group is not in / working

M G    80

1: Module stacking.

2: No time limit on being able to enter instances.

3: Instances disappearing from OW when 1 person leaves.