Game-Labs Forum

Share Your first day at see in the open world (Words only)

Young

Hey Guys thought this might be fun for everyone. So describe your first day at sea in the open World.

Spawned as a British lynx on Saint Johns. Sailed around aimlessly for 45min.

Found A battle joined in captured a cutter and sunk a lynx!

Returned to port bought cannons that were too big for my cutter wasted all my plunger :(

Went back out to see looking for a fight. Found A pirate!

Turned out he did not want to be a pirate and i made him promise not to pirate any ships in British waters.

He agreed but just to be sure i let the fleet know.

Found a lone French lynx!

Chased his ass down!

Started the take down!

Wait What!

A French Frigate come to his add followed by 6 other french ships!

Dam!

I try to Run

But its too late!

I turn and load double

my crew dies

I think of the Queen..

look at the clock i have been playing for 9 hours.

Bed Time :)

Hahaha And lets spell SEA right in the post tittle derp...  What did you See at Sea yes... :P

Edited by Young
  • Like 7

I think nothing sums it up better than this:

Spent the entire battle weakening an AI brig, boarded it, won, captured it and lost most of my crew, an enemy player joins, captures the brig I just spent the entire battle to capture, and I get nothing for.

No gold, no ship, nothing.

• Like 1

Ok....fess up....Who was the guy in the lynx flying the British colors that sank me (Captain Dean...formerly know as poosd also flying the British colors) after I spent 30 minutes just relearning how to sail!  You bum!  ;>)

All excited about being invited to play.  Can't make much sense of what's going on....so...not being one to waste time on silly things like instructions...I just jumped right in and start sailing.  Immediately ran aground. Cool...terrain....that does something.  Did notice that my little vessel submarined through a few waves.  Managed to get facing seaward and saw some other vessels...Alright...I am not alone!  Again....cool.  I tried to sail up to a couple of ships, but the unsociable blokes ran off.  Probably for the best...I didn't know how to talk to them other than chat anyway.

....And then...BOOM!  Time warp.  Wow, I guess this is what they call an "instance".  Look here comes a fellow lynx, flying the British colors.  Maybe he can share some tips with me.  Well he shared alright.  I slowed down all friendly like...he slithered up close to my larboard side...and WHAM!  A broadside right in the kisser!  Once over my wtf moment...I let off with a broadside of my own...then sent a kind message on chat to the effect of "hey....aren't we on the same side?...or did you leave your pirate flag in the other locker"  The chat silence was deafening...then followed by another well aimed broadside into my now quite beat up little ship.  I then implemented the tactics I learned so well in sea trials after being pounded to shreds by so many of you....I ran screaming like a little girl (no offense meant to little girls) for the boarder...then realized I couldn't see the boarder like in the arena.  Not good.  Flooding quickly.  Popped all repairs and still going down.  And my new FRIEND is still pounding hot shot into me.  Well, I didn't make it....You know....sinking in OW feels very similar to sinking in the arena, an act I've come to know and love. 

I don't know whose got my little tub...but your welcomed to her now that she at the bottom of the sea somewhere off St. Thomas (I think?).

Oh great....I've got another lynx to go sacrifice to the splinter gods!  Took this one out and CAREFULLY started exploring.  Then it got dark.  Beautiful. Stars, clouds, very, very pretty.

Then it really got dark...I mean dark like my system CTD (crashed to desktop).  And that was it for the night.

I CAN'T WAIT TO DO IT AGAIN!  It was fun.  Very different, but fun.  Yes there are bugs, but NA, thanks for letting me be part of finding and fixing those issues while at the same time having a lot of fun doing it.  Now....where is that SOB that jumped me....I'll be looking for YOU (if I can figure out how to look for you).

Captain Dean (formerly know as poosd)

• Like 4

My first day was me wasting about 20k from making mistakes on cannons and ships.. I try and forget it now ;~;

I will describe today instead as it was far more meaningful. 
There's Newly found friendship, vengeful escapades, tragedy and also a cliff hanger!

I spent the start of the time wondering around aimlessly (and was drinking at the same time), 
Looked behind me to see two users following me for no reason,
Upon asking it was because I was a higher rank,
A user called Pullies stayed with me, 
We traveled across british held islands for a good few hours getting outmatched or just going round in circles (as I am obviously too intoxicated to function a compas and google maps), 
We ambushed a person, sunk their ship and carried on our way,
A Cerbrus arrives saying how we've been bad people, with the same guy we sunk behind him in his lynx saying the same nearon
Very scared, we ran away with our sails between our legs and tried to forget about the whole situation
Come across a SLVF fleet that was patrolling islands in loops 
Followed them through their adventures. 
Pullies sank and I cried a little inside
We reunited after several outings and unforseen navy brigs
Witnessed their leader get capsized by an AI Privateer,
Captures and sells the privateer in defiance
Follows one SLVF guy left as the others dissapeared,
Kill another 2 ships with my new found random excursion friend,
Now in a place that I dont even know the name of and am pretty sure there's loads of enemy ports nearby.

I am now 8k richer and close to my next rank. I started at about 2pm, as it is my day off, it is now 12:15am. I do not understand where the time went. 

Edited by Admaa
  • Like 3

Started from Gustavia (Sweden)

Sailed around looking for NPCs

Got wrecked by another player, two other enemy players joined the same instance (cool stuff)

Killed and captured a bunch of Trader Brigs

Sailed around aimlessly for a while (and getting lost) before deciding to check out Tortuga, first NPC pirate kills in this area

Sailed back north following the island chain, looking for Gustavia

Todays plan: Jamaica

• Like 2

• 2 years later...
On 5/8/2015 at 11:38 PM, Young said:

Hey Guys thought this might be fun for everyone. So describe your first day at sea in the open World.

Spawned as a British lynx on Saint Johns. Sailed around aimlessly for 45min.

Found A battle joined in captured a cutter and sunk a lynx!

Returned to port bought cannons that were too big for my cutter wasted all my plunger :(

Went back out to see looking for a fight. Found A pirate!

Turned out he did not want to be a pirate and i made him promise not to pirate any ships in British waters.

He agreed but just to be sure i let the fleet know.

Found a lone French lynx!

Chased his ass down!

Started the take down!

Wait What!

A French Frigate come to his add followed by 6 other french ships!

Dam!

I try to Run

But its too late!

I turn and load double

my crew dies

I think of the Queen..

look at the clock i have been playing for 9 hours.

Bed Time :)

Hahaha And lets spell SEA right in the post tittle derp...  What did you See at Sea yes... :P

seems like we should bring back

npcs entering your battles
reduce missions ;) 

• Like 2

When i want to pvp then i dont want to pv(p)e.

imagine liq would solo fight 3+ pirates and suddenly Ai joins his side to even out BR. All pirates would run away :(

Edited by z4ys
  • Like 6

20 minutes ago, z4ys said:

When i want to pvp then i dont want to pv(p)e.

imagine liq would solo fight 3+ pirates and suddenly Ai joins his side to even out BR. All pirates would run away :(

On the flip side you're getting ganked and suddenly AI joins your side, giving you new hope to fight off the offenders.

Could be a nice change of pace, and a better way to do reinforcements than just magic TP ships here for win.

17 minutes ago, Slim Jimmerson said:

On the flip side you're getting ganked and suddenly AI joins your side, giving you new hope to fight off the offenders.

Could be a nice change of pace, and a better way to do reinforcements than just magic TP ships here for win.

Then expand reinforcements. In the carezone you get super 1st rates while out of the zone you can always call for AI reinforcements when the battle is closed for joining your side to even out BR. ;-)

But still when i pvp i dont want to pv(p)e

Edited by z4ys
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, z4ys said:

Then expand reinforcements. In the carezone you get super 1st rates while out of the zone you can always call for AI reinforcements when the battle is closed for joining your side to even out BR. ;-)

But still when i pvp i dont want to pv(p)e

Or instead reinforcements you call from the ether, you call the nearest OW fleet to make its way to you and what you get is what you get. Basically the same thing as now expect we use OW fleets.

3 minutes ago, Slim Jimmerson said:

Or instead reinforcements you call from the ether, you call the nearest OW fleet to make its way to you and what you get is what you get. Basically the same thing as now expect we use OW fleets.

You just want to call the 14x Santi  + 6* Victory  + 5* Bellona fleet right?

• Like 1

Just now, z4ys said:

You just want to call the 14x Santi  + 6* Victory  + 5* Bellona fleet right?

That or the 1x Bello 2x Mercury. It makes OW fleets have a purpose instead of being cattle on rails.

Imagine port owners being able to assemble their own custom fleets to patrol their ports, and being able to destroy those ships to siege out the port and drain the owners bank.

AI actually adding to the OW.

Got cutter. 

Sailed into mission sword via map. Manual navigation, ooh, a challenge!

Fight against other basic cutter.

Got ass handed.

great fun, went for one more round.

Got stuck in wind. managed to hit more, won game. 

2500 hours later, still here. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Slim Jimmerson said:

That or the 1x Bello 2x Mercury. It makes OW fleets have a purpose instead of being cattle on rails.

Imagine port owners being able to assemble their own custom fleets to patrol their ports, and being able to destroy those ships to siege out the port and drain the owners bank.

AI actually adding to the OW.

I gave a suggestion for even and enjoyable fights all what you want is ganking and false hope?

5 minutes ago, z4ys said:

I gave a suggestion for even and enjoyable fights all what you want is ganking and false hope?

Idk what you mean. Admin implied something about NPCs entering battles. I say that's a good alternative to use the OW NPCs we already have to create a new reinforcement dynamic that once the AI pathfinding is implemented, could be further expanded into logistical gameplay options for players.

Nothing I said suggested a gank. Everything I've said was specifically for the reinforcement zone mechanic which I believe should be provided by the NPC ships we already have on OW, not magically produced in battles.

No I do not believe you should be able to get AI reinforcements outside of reinforcement zones to even BR. If we aren't gonna let players get a fast pass to help their friend 50kms out, NPC shouldn't be any different less we throw our current realism standards with battle joining

Edited by Slim Jimmerson

My first day at sea was something like that:

Take a BCutter set sails to somewhere between Morti and Islet...

Oh a Consti! Have to try to cap it!

Loading screen... ... ... BOOOM

Back to Morti, ok, let's try for a littlest ship...

Damn, now i'm trying to cap Fregate class ships with my Privateer...  haha :D

On 5/8/2015 at 10:38 AM, Young said:

Ooooh, a necro-thread.  Dialing the Wayback Machine to 2 years ago...

Looking at the server list with no information about the choices...hmmm, select one at random I guess? 

Character creation - looking at nation list with no information provided about the choices...hmm, will there be a language problem if I choose some of these?  I guess I better choose USA to be safe.

Load into port interface...oh dear, what does this all mean?  Why can't I move things around this mostly empty space?  Do I buy repairs?  What do I do?  How do I enter the big battles I've been watching on youTube?  Hello???  Check some more youTubes quickly to try to figure it out.  OK, screw it, start clicking things...

Click "sail"...lovely Charleston(?) harbor...hmm, should I be worried about these ships around me?  Click, click, click.  Sails up, try to go somewhere.  (It's a good thing Basic Cutter came with cannons pre-installed or I wouldn't have had any)

Woah!  That big ship says it's "France".  RUN AWAY...RUN AWAY...RUN AWAY!!!

This coastline is a little boring, and the ports are empty.  Since nothing has happened so far and the swords seem to allow me to join some kind of a battle I guess I'll do that.  Will it be like the battles I've watched on the youTubes?   

Entering battle....OK I see 5 players gangraping a "pirate" ship quite far away.  Spend a few minutes sailing...very slowly...clearly I'm not going to get there any time soon, and it's a mob scene anyway.  Guess I'm in gun range...lets try this...lob some shots towards the "pirate", miss, miss, miss, start to hit occasionally with no obvious effect.  Don't want to fire a broadside from far away and hit the other USA players that are piling on.  Fiddle with the guns for a while.  ..."Battle over", "pirate" sinks without my input.  Everyone leaves, so I guess I do as well. 

Sail back to Sudbury(?).  Log out, still very confused. 

• Like 2

Not really sure what all happen on my first day, but my first week was pretty much me going out in a basic cutter trying to do the missions and getting sunk about 22 times before I won a mission (they where hard back than).  Some one told me to do small battles as you don't loose your ships and you get XP so I started to do that.  Than I got my first PvP kill of this player named BLOOD, guy had no life he was always in small battles, but man did I sink him.

THAN SOME A-HOLE HAD TO KILL MY GLORY AND TELL ME HE WAS A NPC.......>>GRRRRRRRRRRR<<

• Like 3

Because just what we need is more ways to kill off the casual players in this game........

@admin Brother...you got bigger fish to fry.  Fix the wasa, nerf thickness, create an economy that forces players outside the safe zones......+ a litany of other issues are needed to be done before we have AI jump into missions again.  

Edited by Christendom
  • Like 3