Game-Labs Forum

Ship customisation

Is there some centre ground? Do you think allowing a player to pick a name from a list of historical/appropriate names would strike an acceptable balance? Not a huge fan of the idea, just throwing it out there.

This might be an issue, 

1. Name database will need to keep track of all names and remove those used, 

2. Database will need to be constantly fueled with new names. (Players will be creating multiple accounts and or leaving accounts sit when they quit for some time, so those names will be taken forever)

In this case 2 names must be used (like in POTBS avatar random name system), much easier to control.

Indeed, it's not the perfect solution. Plenty of two or even three word names knocking about, particularly on merchant vessels and in the naming traditions of some fishing stations. It'd have to be a pretty mighty database mind. Effective for character names in PotBS though, think it really did improve the vibe. By the way, utterly gorgeous brig diagram on page one, love it.

Customisable things I'd like to see that haven't been mentioned: some level of hull customisation (raise/lower bulwards, height of fo'csle/quarterdeck above waist, pierce hull for extra guns etc), rig customisation (short term, like swaying royal masts and rig and setting stu'nsails; intermediates like rigging peak halyard purchases for gaffers to allow a smaller crew and enable slightly better windward performance; long term like changing the cut of headsails or even re-rigging, eg cutter or schooner to ketch). Both big big shouts I know, but would increase the visual differences between otherwise similar vessels. Keen that all should have an impact, and if we must have MMO-style powerups and buffs (I hope we won't) then they could tie in to these rather than anything silly and magic. 

regarding names of the ship

how should we treat the famous ships

for example should a player be able to rename a ship from lets say HMS Surprise to XXPwnmasterXX? 

or ships should keep the names the game gave them.

I think one way of approaching this would be a brief historical description of each ship like War Gaming does in world of tanks. For example If I right click on a 'HMS Victory' Blueprints, I should see a 'Ship Description' link. If I click the link, it opens a little description of what that ship was in real life, as well as a few of it's accomplishments that made the ship famous.

Example:

HMS Victory was launched on the 7th of May, in the year of 1765 for the Royal Navy. Based loosely off the HMS Royal George she served as the flagship for many of England's finest admirals including Horatio Nelson, Augustus Keppel, John Jarvis, and Richard Howe. The HMS Victory participated in the First Battle of Ushant, Second Battle of Ushant, Battle of Cape Spartel, Battle of Cape St Vincent, and most notably the Battle of Trafalgar.

This should give people the feeling of freedom to name their ship what ever they want, while the ship remains historically significant in game. The plans, description, and ship class should all remain 'HMS Victory'. This by no means has to be limited to famous ships. Your 'Brig' currently in game can have a brief description explaining the historical significance of the 'Brig'. It's a rough rundown of my idea, bt it should outline what I'm trying to suggest. Hope it helps! :)

Interesting idea :) I think this sort of info would be pretty important, whether it's for this purpose or otherwise. Do you think that those who are tempted by the XXPwnmasterXX-style naming conventions would bother to read such info, and change the name of their vessel to something historically appropriate as a result?

Baggy

Interesting idea :) I think this sort of info would be pretty important, whether it's for this purpose or otherwise. Do you think that those who are tempted by the XXPwnmasterXX-style naming conventions would bother to read such info, and change the name of their vessel to something historically appropriate as a result?

Baggy

Personally, I like the idea of an approved list of names for both characters and ships. If I want to create a character, then there is a list of names approved by the admins you can chose from. At the beginning, this may seem a little limiting, but as this forum is for players to communicate with the admins, I think it would be a small task to open a thread specifically for suggesting new names to be added to the list. The same goes for ships.

If a new player wants to name their character Sack Jparrow but can't, then they will have to choose another name to their liking. If they get their first ship and wish to name it XxpwnmasterxX but it's not on the list, then they will have to pick something different. 

This shouldn't be too hard to implement, and as it's the players who are putting forward new name suggestions aswell, it shouldn't make much extra work for Game Labs. With this feature, players have the freedom to name their character and ship (the two most important entities in game) without ruining the immersion for the rest of the playerbase who happens upon them in game. I think a person will feel a sense of achievement if they suggest a name on the forums, to have it approved for in-game use.

As the game grows, it may become harder to find a first and last name for your captain that hasn't already been used. Though perhaps the game could implement first, middle and last names to choose from, with an option of showing your middle name to the rest of the world. 'Theodore Blackwell' to me is prefered over 'Theodore Augustus Blackwell', but if I have a choice to 'turn off' my middle name from being viewed, then no harm no foul. What do you guys think?

In answer to your question Baggy, probably not, but I hope the above has roughly outlined a possibility of getting around this problem through the use of these forums.

My first captain name suggestions,

1) Theodore

2) Blackwell

;)

I am of a different mind. Let me name my ship whatever I want to within certain perameters. Im all about realism but there has to be some room for a little bit of personalized fun. If two different players choose the same name for their ships than who cares. Its not like your gonna run across that name hundreds of times most likely. And when an OP player is chasing me with his ship HMS Minnie Mouse I will be just as intimidated by that name due to its reputation then if the name was HMS Indefatigueable. And when a group of my mates set out together to end the career of HMS Minne Mouse's captain and our ship names are Mickey's Revenge, Minnie's Nightmare, and Minnie Run, then I bet HMS Minnie Mouse's Captain will have a smile on his face even though he is gonna get sunk and maybe I make a friend through it all.

This is a game after all so comic relief can often counter the grinding, ganking, long sailing that the game is most likely to have.

• Like 2

Ship names could be a toggle. You turn off the custom name visibility and just see the name of the ship class, Victory, etc.

An approved list is probably the ideal, but difficult and problematic. Bottom line, we should be able to name our vessels HMS L33th4xxor, so long as other people have the option of not seeing it.

• 2 weeks later...

In this case i think is all about personal preference. pwnmaster maybe would ruin inmersion for us, but maybe to his captain, having the freedom of choosing it is primordial to enjoy.

Some people maybe dreams about commanding mythic ships, but i personally like the idea of name MY ship and forge my own legend, being recognised among the players by the name i choosed. So i think restraining or negating this freedom is a bad idea, and requires an extra effort with a dedicated database. If you want to name your ship Santisima Trinidad its ok, and if you want to name yours "Leviathan" or "Seagull" all right then.

Besides, whats the fun of seven hundred Santisima Trinidad on the server? That would ruin my inmersion too.

As a side note, maybe some unique npcs could be famous ships you could see on harbours or something.

Just my opinion. What dou you think?

PS: I like the idea of Theodore about the historical description on the blueprint

I agree we should be allowed to come up with whatever preposterous names we may come up with for the ships we sail. (and, as Johhny Reb stated, within reasonable profanity peramiters)

However, I also would like to avoid the X_PWNMASTER_SWAGKING_Xs (note: yes, this is indeed a name I have come across my MMO career. I will state that this is not a player in PotBS, heaven forbid).

Perhaps instead of compiling a list of pre-determined names, which would 1: Limit the player's overall experience and customization/individuality, and 2: will most likely continuously need expansion and changing, instead, have the player's name and ship name be verified by the server Moderators. This would be cumbersome, yes, but would keep the above's out while keeping some form of individuality in. (It may even be a way to avoid in-game character identity theft.)

This isn't the best possible solution, but may be the best balance perhaps?

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Personally after having seen some of RAMJB:s videos on youtube I'd like to say that firstly I'd like to see my name of my ship in the menu so you can easily identify your ship when selling, refitting and repairing similar ships in the menu.

There are a lot of names out there that would be acceptable even if they have no historic association, Moderation might prove difficult unless it should focus on only moderating the obvious policy violations.

Should the developers go with a moderation solution then consider having moderators and a control of individual ships names controlled fraction vise since some names like mythological names and such might be appropriate and in service in several factions simultaneously. First come first served should only apply fraction vise IMHO.

What about making your own ship mixing up and selecting different features from thousands of options.

For example start out with the lenth of the keel and choose the type of bow you want to make. Put some limits to the choices so the ship doesn't look bad and disproportionate. For example choose the shape of the stern and stern galleys from hundreds of different choices and choose decorations ornaments and colours from loads of options. Make sure that every ship can be unique.

Do you guys get the big picture?

It sounds amazing to me if it could happen .

Let me know what you think about it.

What about making your own ship mixing up and selecting different features from thousands of options.

For example start out with the lenth of the keel and choose the type of bow you want to make. Put some limits to the choices so the ship doesn't look bad and disproportionate. For example choose the shape of the stern and stern galleys from hundreds of different choices and choose decorations ornaments and colours from loads of options. Make sure that every ship can be unique.

Do you guys get the big picture?

It sounds amazing to me if it could happen .

Let me know what you think about it.

I'd much prefer sticking to historical models.  Trying to do a full-custom ship setup will very likely result, no matter how hard the Developers try to keep it balanced, in fad of the minute ships that are extremely overpowered.  It will be a constant battle to keep them in line.  Real life ship building at the time was art as much as science, and focusing on the designs that were gotten "right" in a spectacular way is enough "customization" for me (at least with regards to a hull).  Custom flags, figureheads, colors, and other non-performance related items would be amazing and fun.  Maybe a custom sterngalley, but fully custom ships requires a "ship building simulator" and would distract too much from an amazing, relatively historical Napoleonic Era environment.

I think players should be able to name themselves what ever they like. For let's plays and what not that becomes an important aspect. With ships, I think a drop down menu or two (for two word names) with a whole bunch of names input for selection would be a great way of naming a ship with a good flair for realism. We need to remember that while this in testing Naval Action is going to draw the nautical hardcore player who like a good sailing game right down to a simulator experience.

Though when this game release they are going to need to make money off the regular Joe that just wants to sail to Cuba and be the 19th century Fidel Castro as well as the original crew. This means that there are going to need to be some "allowances" so that the game seems interesting to the more casual gamer.

A good way of getting both would be to display the ship name instead of the character name when identifying a player at sea. I feel this would allow the immersion all the hardcores and role players crave. If the database were big enough, identifying a player by their ship name would be relatively easy. This way players would be able to go with what ever goofy name they want and feel that freedom while still having an impressively named and fame worthy ship.

• Like 1

Better in stern only the ship name. Player name only in info window when you look at the ship directly like now, but remove all letters floating over the ship.

Quick identification of ships you can learn the different banners on top masts or ship's customozation at first of the battle.

For justify the name on info window: Someone (the apprentice boy) in your crew is watching in all time the flags and banners and he reminds you who is who in battle. You for immersion reasons could don't look this info.

• Like 1

I was thinking about what if we could commission the build of a new ship ourselves incorporating our own modules instead of sailing port to port looking for one to fit our needs. The price would have to be pretty high or everyone would do it. But this way we could tailor the ship characteristics to our own fighting style. I am not so much bothered about the visuals or other things mentioned above but would like to be able to choose the permanent modules rather than spend a long time shopping and never finding my ideal ship.