Game-Labs Forum

Open world: technical problems, glitches, bugs and workarounds

admin

Thanks Game Labs! for the opportunity to 'test' OW.

I've had some of the issues described but this is only to be expected in this state of the game. I'm F11-ing everything as it happens and hope this helps the development team. Exiting and restarting the game mostly works for me although after every battle if returned to a port the graphics go haywire same after entering any port and setting sail again is a bit of a pain but I'm sure it will get sorted out in time.

Well done & Thanks

Every 10 seconds, far away from coast and shallow waters, whatever her direction from and to the wind, my basic Lynx stops during 1-2 seconds and then starts again for 10 seconds. On and on... All the time. At each session.

No FPS drops (FPS is between 40 and 60), only ship deceleration and acceleration (variations in speed)...

No sail changes, no direction changes. Moving in a straight line. No key pressed on the keyboard. 

Just an AZERTY keyboard with a QWERTY setup (english). It worked with sea trials and it works in combat instances.

No stop and go issue in combat instances. Only in the OW.

Geforce GTX 560 Ti

Intel Core i7-2600 3,4 GHz

8 Go RAM

Graphics : medium

FPS : 50-60

Ping : 60-70

Am I the only tester who have this problem since the beginning of OW test ?

Any idea ? Any suggestion ? 

Is my computer configuration/set-up too weak ?

I've already reported it several times (F11), tried tu run in win7 compatibility, updated my drivers and reinstalled the game once.

In game, I've changed of character, nation ; sold and bought a new lynx ; tried several graphics set-ups (from low to high).

It's hard to test the OW in these circumstances. 

Makes me quite seasick  ;) .

Edited by LeBoiteux

I changed the resolution to 512x384, just to see what it would do to my fps. since i checked the 'windowed' box, the window changed to really small(as expected). however, when i wanted to change it back to original half the options menu didnt fit in the window anymore.

(i'd give you a screenshot if the image extension was allowed in this comunity, whatever that may mean)

so there's no apply button anymore. if i hit the full window button it does go to full window, but then the mouse button doesnt work anymore.

I tried reinstalling, didnt work. also i tried going back to the old beta, changing the resolution there, and installing the new one again. didnt work either.

makes the game kinda untestable.

Edited by James Cook

Just run into a mildly frustrating bug. Started a fight between myself in a lynx and 2 french lynx. Managed to board and take Praters lynx, but had taken so much damage doing so I had to take control of his. As I did so I watched the lynx I brought to the fight sink alongside me. At this point I had all of 4 crew left and decided to try to escape. Luckily for me another british lynx had joined whilst we were scrapping and was able to buy me time to get away. However, when I left the battle in the captured lynx, I was informed that I'd sunk and as such would gain neither any gold nor xp and would be spawned at the nearest port.

It's not exactly an issue as all ships involved were basic lynxes as far as I could tell, but surely that shouldn't have happened? I should have spawned on the open sea in the captured vessel and gained xp if not gold as well? I've already F11'd this bug but was wondering if anyone else has run into it?

Edit: Found another one. The shops at different ports all sell different ships and modules, but the same cannon selection is present everywhere at the moment.

Edited by Hunter

Just had a fight suprise against suprise, was able to set it on fire, so it exploded, but then the game crashed. when i logged back in the message came "invalid_passwort_connection" and went back to open whorld and everything was like before the battle, even the other suprise was there.

I keep having very glitchy/choppy water that varies from a few lines and blotches to the entire screen freaking out. Ticket submitted. It can be fixed with a couple of restarts, but only for one travelling session. If I enter and leave a battle, port, or relog, it comes back. Only happens in the long distance open world travel, not the arena combat. Other than that I haven't experienced any bugs so far.

Edit may not be the water, in a few cases the distortion extends past the water line.

Edited by Capt Aerobane

I am currently stuck in the middle of the sea without a ship with camera half under the water. The bug appears if you capture a ship and take control of it and then leave battle while other enemy ships are still alive. I would appreciate it if someone could get me unstuck. 

Also had a bug where after being sunk by MrDoran I spawned in a port and could not exit the shallows area around it in a navy brig, had to sell my ship and sail away in a lynx. It was the port east of Jacmel.

Edited by scepo

I keep having very glitchy/choppy water that varies from a few lines and blotches to the entire screen freaking out. Ticket submitted. It can be fixed with a couple of restarts, but only for one travelling session. If I enter and leave a battle, port, or relog, it comes back. Only happens in the long distance open world travel, not the arena combat. Other than that I haven't experienced any bugs so far.

Edit may not be the water, in a few cases the distortion extends past the water line.

I have the same experience. The blotches are light blue on the water and the lines are pixelated and seem to originate in the water and often lift off the water in sheets. What hardware are you using to run OW?

I am currently stuck in the middle of the sea without a ship with camera half under the water. The bug appears if you capture a ship and take control of it and then leave battle while other enemy ships are still alive. I would appreciate it if someone could get me unstuck. 

This is the situation I am in everytime I go into combat, exiting game just brings me back, sometimes I can leave usually with a damaged ship, once I must have been sunk as found myself in port without a ship.

Have tried at all graphics settings, buying new Lynx and selling old, 3 different characters, uninstalled/reinstalled game. Have submitted reports via f11.

Any help much appreciated

S!

I stalked Raatha's Navy Brig as emerged from a battle, and attacked it. A split second before the countdown reached 0, the brig froze completely, with waves submerging it in the water. Then the brig vanished, and Raatha said he had a random disconnection.

Perhaps 40 seconds later I saw the brig re-emerge several dozen shiplengths to the west of where I had tackled it (that is, near the former battle area).

Aren't ships supposed to stay on the OW for 10 minutes after disconnection?

• Like 1

If this is the wrong place to post this, I apologize. Please enable rudder control using the left and right arrows, as it was in the alpha combat testing.

Must be an easy thing to do, since you already have it in alpha. Not being able to use the arrows is a hardship for me. In my case, it is a big deal.

I would appreciate a response to this. Thanks!

• Like 1

hey is anyone else glitching out heaps in game? at the moment its completely unplayable for me.

Symptoms  - sailing along, and then all of a sudden all the ships merge into a blob, then pop back into place. rinse and repeat.

- getting forced back to the opening log on screen whilst the battle is on.

I've played through ST1 without this and nothing like this happened before the santi guys came in. But now? can't sail without locking up, or crashing out.

Sent numerous F11 reports along the way. 

I hope the next patch is kind to me.

I was attacked by a navy brig.  When the instance loaded the ship had no captain and no name something like "shipname", no crew, and no flag.  The flag and rigging were totally white with no rendered textures.

Cool, free brig to capture right.... wrong.  The ship had no collision and did not move, I could sail right through it.

However I could not leave the battle and after a while noticed that my hull armor was being damaged.  It was like there was an invisible npc ship somewhere hitting me.  I had to sail away for about 10 minutes before I was able to leave the battle.

(submitted an F11 report)

Also: There was an instance where I joined a battle to help a fellow Frenchman out.  It was him in a snow pitted against an AI Navy Brig and Privateer (I think).  Well the guy who started the battle decided to run and the privateer gave chase.  I engaged with the brig and was soon joined by another French Captain.  We sunk the brig and started to look around for the remaining ship.  This privateer was barely visible on horizon in the battle instance (still chasing the snow who left the battle 10 minutes earlier).  There was no way for us to catch him and he was just sailing straight still focused on a ship that had left the battle.  So we had to leave the battle leaving the AI ship to sail off into the abyss.

It seems AI will stay focused on a player even if he leaves the battle and keep chasing a "ghost ship"

(submitted F11 report)

Edited by Neverlucky

The reversing rudder is frequently a problem, because the speed scale is not totally accurate at the low end.

Frequently, when tacking I will find myself going -0.5 knots, and yet the rudder is not reversed. Or the reverse happens. The speedometer read 1.2 knots and yet the rudder is still reversed. This happens every 10 battles or so with every ship.

If we're going to have reversing rudder, it needs to reverse based on the speedometer and not lie to us. There is nothing realistic about guessing whether we are going forwards or backwards, because at this speed a rudder is useless IRL.

Thanks for suggestion, but I have tried that (I'm using W7 anyway) there must be some specific conflict with my system or problem would be more widespread, its strange that I  had no problem in the seatrials.

S!

Edited by Cherkasov54

If this is the wrong place to post this, I apologize. Please enable rudder control using the left and right arrows, as it was in the alpha combat testing.

Must be an easy thing to do, since you already have it in alpha. Not being able to use the arrows is a hardship for me. In my case, it is a big deal.

I would appreciate a response to this. Thanks!

Yes,yes,yes!I agree 100% with this!

• Like 1

I have already f11 reported this but when I capture a ship and try to send it to one of my two outpost ports it always send it to the same one regardless of which button I click at the end of the battle.

For example, I capture a Cerberus and try to send it to Oranjestad but the game say "confirm you are sending the ship to williamstad"  and i'm like "no i want it to go to Oranjestad" so I click the oranjestad button again and get the same response. So then I click the Willamstad button thinking the wire are crossed but no the same response. So then i think ok maybe the text is wrong and click the oranjestad button and click confirm even those the text says willamstad. I travel to oranjestad only to fine the ship has been sent to willamstad anyway. I in effect cant send a ship to oranjestad and only to willamstad, a problem because that's over and hour away at best.

:(

Your starting port's Outpost - did you close it?

Oh sorry for misunderstanding your intent seems obvious now. No i did not delete my starting outpost. I kept Oranjestad and moved to willemstad to build a new one. Both are operational;. I even bought a lynx in oranjestad to make sure its still in use.