Game-Labs Forum

What are the best trading games you played?

admin

Ubi soft's Anno 1404 : nice graphics, fun, immersion, quests, six levels of housing, the range of goods (spice, milk...), two culturally distinct zones with specific architecture (Orient, Occident), the gameplay (easy to understand), the automatic trading process, the system of colonizing a new land.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anno_1404

Edited by LeBoiteux

Single Player:

My vote goes to the game East India Company

The reason? It is first and foremost a trading and market speculating game. Combat and conquest are secondary: you can play and win the game without waging war (if you're good). Any strategy that goes into the game is 1st about what to buy, where to sell it, and how much to invest in your trading fleet. Next is combat, and the combat engine isn't all that great. It's not bad, but also not stellar. But again, the focus of the game is on trade.

I'm just going to paste this text from another post that I'd made, with reference to crafting.

I don't know about anyone else, but some of the most fun I've had in an MMO as a crafter was in SOEs Vanguard, Saga of Fish/Heroes.... or something.

The crafting system in that allowed people to actually be skilled within their crafting sphere. Experience was a key factor that went hand in hand with the skill.

The system worked by giving the player X amount of points with which to complete the crafting task.

The task could potentially be completed at a poor quality level with few allocated points spent.

The *good* crafter could make the same item at a far higher quality by their use of their allocated points during the crafting process.

However, their (Saga of Fish) system had complications thrown up during the process, which cost points to rectify. These complications had to be addressed, or the finished item could be sub-standard, or at worst the crafter would not have the the required points to even finish the task.

If and when I see a similarly skill based crafting system in any PC game, I will be as happy as a pig in poo.

If I saw a similarly skill based crafting system in Naval Action, I'd probably wet my pants.

As for a trading experience in a PC game, EVE wins hands down. 

The economy in SWG (that's Star Wars Galaxies for anyone that doesn't know) was also a player driven economy, and worked extremely well.

Another vote for Elite Dangerous. It certainly has good Trading system, background simulation has it's failings but potential is great and it already works well enough. Also the starmap route tool was a horrible mess last time I tried it, but idea is good on that too.

My personal interest about Trading is that it causes reliable Merchant routes where I can hunt. So logical changes in economy and pricing ia what I'd like to see. Also good enough routes for traders so that they take the risk willingly.

I would just like to add in relation to the SWG crafting system, that the crafting itself was boring. The resource gathering and finding the best raw materials for the desired crafting sphere was great.

BUT, if a system could be implemented that had both in depth resource characteristics, which directly affected the crafted item, but also a skill based crafting system, then I'd relinquish control of my left testicle.

For me it would be Trevor Chan’s Capitalism II.

It allows the player to create and control a business empire. This in-depth strategy game covers almost every aspect of business that could be encountered in the real world, including marketing, manufacturing, purchasing, importing and retailing.

Although it is based on modern times, the core could easily be adapted to suit the NA time period and product line up.  

"In terms of scope and comprehensiveness, it has no equal in the world of business simulations.  IGN.com    Review Score: 9.0 / 10”

Guild wars 2

Hmm  can you elaborate why?

I have played a lot of GW2 and i have traded the whole time.

Some of the things i like about it.

1) casual players can use it without too much drama or stress from anywhere to sell the proceeds and loot quickly. 

2) It is quite big allowing for people to set up shop and play/corner small parts of the market.

3) It has a good mix of consumables and gear to make sure that items keep rolling over.

4) The stats and qualities are easy to find and understand.

5) The API means that although the stats within the game are lacking anyone who wants to can access the raw data  to make their own tools.

Things that it lacks.

1) charts of the recent prices for buy/sell orders

2) a good way to track your income/current money/future money.

3) a way to save favorite searches and items.

4) contracts or recurring buy orders.

Edited by Jack Feathersword

Hmm  can you elaborate why?

I can't simply explain the whole system, but it is one of my favorite ones. I can simply convert their system into realistic NA any day for comparison reasons. Please let me know if you need it. 

Some best features include:

User friendly interface.

On the go sale ability. 

Current buyer/current sellers option. Very good organization of products and resources. (Filters). 

More info:

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Trading_Post 

Trading_Post_buying.jpg

Trading_Post_selling.jpg

Crafting disciplines:

(Runes, Sigils, Runes add extra % to stats we need these similar items in NA)

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Crafting

Armorsmith_tango_icon_20px.png ArmorsmithHeavy armor

(Used by soldiers — guardianswarriors and revenants)RunesMetal boxes

Artificer_tango_icon_20px.png ArtificerMagical weapons

(Focistavesscepters, and tridents)SigilsPotions

Tonics

Tuning crystals

Chef_tango_icon_20px.png ChefFood-Dyes

Huntsman_tango_icon_20px.png HuntsmanProjectile weapons and off-hand utility items

(Short bowslongbowspistolsrifles , harpoon gunstorches, and warhorns)SigilsMaintenance oils

Jeweler_tango_icon_20px.png JewelerTrinkets

(Amuletsrings, and earrings)Jewels-

Leatherworker_tango_icon_20px.png LeatherworkerMedium armor

(Used by adventurers — engineersrangers, and thieves)RunesLeather packs

Tailor_tango_icon_20px.png TailorLight armor

(Used by scholars — elementalistsmesmers, and necromancers)RunesCloth bags

Weaponsmith_tango_icon_20px.png WeaponsmithMelee weapons and shields

(Axesdaggersswordsgreatswordsmaceshammersspears, and shields)SigilsSharpening stones

Great amount of resources around the world. Nice crafting system with tiers and recipes. 

More info:

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Crafting

Recipe levels:

Armorsmith_tango_icon_20px.png Armorsmith Novice • Initiate • Apprentice • Journeyman • Adept • Master • Grandmaster

Artificer_tango_icon_20px.png Artificer Novice • Initiate • Apprentice • Journeyman • Adept • Master • Grandmaster

Chef_tango_icon_20px.png Chef Novice • Initiate • Apprentice • Journeyman • Adept • Master

Huntsman_tango_icon_20px.png Huntsman Novice • Initiate • Apprentice • Journeyman • Adept • Master • Grandmaster

Jeweler_tango_icon_20px.png Jeweler Novice • Initiate • Apprentice • Journeyman • Adept • Master

Leatherworker_tango_icon_20px.png Leatherworker Novice • Initiate • Apprentice • Journeyman • Adept • Master • Grandmaster

Tailor_tango_icon_20px.png Tailor Novice • Initiate • Apprentice • Journeyman • Adept • Master • Grandmaster

Weaponsmith_tango_icon_20px.png Weaponsmith Novice • Initiate • Apprentice • Journeyman • Adept • Master • Grandmaster

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Recipe

Crafting levels and experience:

Crafting Level Experience per

Level

0-100 1%

101-200 2%

201-300 3%

301-400 4%

Crafting levels are grouped into ranks.

Level Rank

0-74 Novice

75-149 Initiate

150-224 Apprentice

225-299 Journeyman

300-399 Adept

400-499 Master

500 Grandmaster

1. Pirates of the Burning Sea. - Can't beat that, years of economy development that is still being expanded. 

The system is rather poor compared to eve... Not the way you build stuff it self(that was great),. but a lot of functionality is still missing.

There is still have no easy way to lots of stuff from one person to another and a lot of other functionality that was in EVE 5+ years ago that is not in the game...

(buyorders, sell orders, containers, corp orders and so on... easy ways of transerfing goods from one person to another... "hangars" corp hangars and so one...)

But I still played  PotBS one and off from beta until the "eco patch" last year...(that pretty much ruined the system)  mostly as a ECO player... (then I moved to this game.)

Edited by thomas aagaard

This may be skirting at the edges of this topic question but as part of the trade aspects of the game I would like to see the ability to 

Craft chests with different sizes weights and volume for contents *( Volume and weight assignments should be a part of every item and should play an important roll in assessing ships cargo) 

Place chests and have a running log of those chests locations

Sell and buy chests both filled and empty with items

The ability to hire a store clerk to which you can attach chests to one set for goods to sell, one set for coin to buy and one set empty for goods received.