Game-Labs Forum

Troop Locations when Scenario Ends

Maybe I'm missing a setting or something and if so, please tell me.

Each time the timer runs out and the 'battle' ends and the next scenario starts up all my troops are in different locations then where they were when the previous battle ended.  Why does the battle need to end - can't it just go on for the entire day rather than in these chunks of time?  If it has to be broken into smaller parts, please let the troops where they were.

Thanks.

Don

• Like 1

The slight change in unit location is due to multiple reasons. One, is that the scenario in which you choose through the strategy choices you get in between each battle causes the battle to play out in different locations. Two, that just in real life units need to refit and rearm. After each battle your men are exhausted having just spent an hour or more in battle. They are short on ammo and need to rest and refill canteens. Just in real life after a skirmish in the American Civil War units would pull back from their locations to rest in the trees. Find a creek, refill canteens and eat some food. Unless defending a strategic location your men will fall back. But if they are defending a strategic location you will notice your men will start in the relative same location.

Could there be an option for the Ultimate General (me) to 'lock' units of his command as the scenario in play nears the end? Example: Playing as the rebels in the opening scenario.. I don't care if the union takes Herrs ridge. I don't want any union positions. What I want is to wait for scenario II when reinforcements arrive. I want to avoid an engagement at all costs with just Heths men. I want to position them (as best I can) as they come on to the field in the northwest quadtrant of the map and wait.

I find the frustrating thing is more that at the start of each scenario I have to spend ages bringing my Corps back together again as it shuffles their units pell-mell across the line..... I can understand the brigades of a Corps being fluid within the line as units rest and such but for a Corps commander to spread his men so far in an age when battlefield orders are sent by written note and rider doesn't make sense to me in a logical sense, although my historical knowledge of the ACW is sketchy at best

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

I am a new player with this game, and enjoying it greatly, but this topic is about the only flaw I have found with this game.

If my units sacrifice a great deal to take a well covered hill, it makes no sense for them to retire 2 or 3 hundred yards away from the hill when the whole point was to occupy the hill.

I have only played the South, and while those units get wildly spread out and moved far away from the objectives they previously took, the Union seems to stay right where they were and do retreat as significantly.

It just makes no sense to me that in a battle like this where everyone there knows how important it is, that an army would abandon a hard fought after hill overnight.

I hope the dev(s) will strongly consider refining this behavior as the way it is implemented it is a severe disadvantage for the South.

Otherwise this is a fantastic game. It plays so intuitively, while the graphics are suitable.  10 times more fun than some other sims that have full zoomable 3d graphics but have many layers of incomprehensible control schemes.