Game-Labs Forum

Getting started strategy

Blarneystone

Hello,

I stumbled across Ultimate General in the iPad App Store. Love RTS like Age of empires, etc, so bought it right away. I have done the tutorial 2x, but am still getting walloped mercilessly by the northern troops.

As I know little about the original Civil War battles and strategies, I am finding getting started much more challenging than I originally expected - even on Easy. Can you recommend some good strategies or a walk through to use for the first campaign so I can figure out what to do?

Thanks in advance

• Like 1

I'd recommend playing as Union, since a defensive playstyle would be better for a beginner. The true complication would be having to micromanage the skirmishers at first, but once you get a foothold on Seminary and Oak ridge with Iron Brigade and Cutler as they arrive, things will be easier.

A rule of thumb is to always attempt holding the high ground that has woods in them, or avoid them if the enemy has them.

Hi Blarneystone and welcome! Here are some tips that might help you. Your best units should be the infantry brigades. Position them in a line and advance steady. Use the light skirmishers to scout at the front or support the flank(s). Support your infantry with the artillery. Avoid to place your guns in front of the infantry in your first battles. They are more effective at the front but also attract the AI to charge and destroy them. Keep them in the back line protected to support infantry advance. Make proper gaps in your line, if necessary, to avoid blocking them with friendlies. Remember that casualties is not the only effect of a bombardment. The drop of morale, they also cause, will help your infantry to overcome easier the enemy infantry. When you'll feel more comfortable with limber and the handling of these slow moving units, you can try to engage them more actively and bring them closer to the enemy for deadly canisters (in iOS artillery chooses automatically ammo type regarding the target's distance). In contrast, try, if possible, to destroy the enemy guns.

Watch the little silver stars over the hostile unit, at the side of the small shield-indicator. Select a brigade of yours with more or the same stars (better or the same unit rate) to attack it. Avoid head on attacks on hostile elite units (3 stars), and prefer to flank or surround them.  

Support always your defending/attacking/cracking troops with the General. He will boost your units if they are inside his command radius (even partly). If your units suffer casualties or/and a vast  morale drop, withdraw them before start shaking. Always use the Fall Back control and never turn the back to the enemy. Falling back units have minimum casualties and a small boost in morale because of disengaging.

Try to create 2 to 1 situations and attack simultaneously hostile units with two or more of yours. Flank and rear attacks are far more effective. The... Fall Back (!) control can also help you to create such tactics. If one of your units is attacked, fall it back to lure the attacker to follow it. Repeat if necessary until the attacker is found among the other brigades of your line (or move the other units to set the trap faster). Then Rotate them to flank the attacker and the same time counter-attack with your falling back unit.

Though on the easy level head on attacks can bring you victories, on higher levels you will need more cunning approaches involving flanking and maneuvers. Easy level offers a good training ground to get familiar with such tactics. Generally, experiment with your units and their abilities trying to get the most of them. Then you can combine these tactics in solid strategies and lead your army to victories. Godspeed, General! 

• Like 1