Game-Labs Forum

Multiple Players Crewing The Same Ship? and other ramblings....

We had a thread on this already.  It's not much fun to be clicking a ship part over and over to repair it, nor to man a single cannon and have to wait for the order to fire, nor to be a lookout with nothing to do for an entire battle.  I'd rather have 10 ships fighting with me than 10 people manning my ship.

Its actually surprisingly fun. You should try guns of icarus. Not sure it would work here, but multicrew vehicles often can make a game a lot more enjoyable.

Its actually surprisingly fun. You should try guns of icarus. Not sure it would work here, but multicrew vehicles often can make a game a lot more enjoyable.

Sure, if you're an autonomous turret.  I played subspace, turreting on another ship was quite fun.

In this case, you're a cannon, you can't aim anywhere but a limited side of the ship, and you need to wait to fire (and choose what to fire) based on the captain's wishes to allow multiple cannon to coordinate in a way that will fight the ship effectively.  It's really quite different IMO.

Individual cannon control sucks in most games imo, especially in mount and blade I've played a few mods where there were cannons on ships and more often than not they either missed or werent even ready to fire when the enemy ship presented itself. I don't think theres much a person can contribute to a ship other than pushing buttons to repair stuff and thats not really fun imo.

Though Battlefield Pirates has a special place in my heart and I wouldn't mind seeing some sort of FPS mode of a select group of ships fighting when attempting to capture someones harbor or going onto land. But thats a suggestion for further down the road when the game is in a stable position.

Sailing in cutter with multiplayer crew would be obviously mistake, ..but if u will have big ship with 3gun decks from which need set little diferent accuracy and range shot, and 3masts with manual controled rigs and sails up or down, than if someone proposed bfor enemy damage stats visible only in scope, ...multiplayer controll could give u some advantage, you could turn faster, aim faster and shoot faster, ..and you will need affort just for one big expensive ship instead of two;)

I would rather like to have something like Silent Hunter 5. To be able to see an outline of the ship and send crew to stations to, for example, repair. I would limit it to one player on every ship. And limit the possibility to move in the ship while in combat. But when not in combat it could be different.

• 1 month later...

This idea is very similar to a game called 'guns of icarus', in this game 4 people work together to control and repair the ship and also shoot others, i am suggesting a game mode that lets you do this, for example - One captain, Two cannoneers (one for each side of the ship) and another to repair. This would look great in a first person view and also encourage team work even further - which i am a big fan of. 

This would make the game even more immerseive than it already is and create a greater sense of realism, i would love to see this idea come to life and i hope others share the same opinion as i do. 

This idea is very similar to a game called 'guns of icarus', in this game 4 people work together to control and repair the ship and also shoot others, i am suggesting a game mode that lets you do this, for example - One captain, Two cannoneers (one for each side of the ship) and another to repair. This would look great in a first person view and also encourage team work even further - which i am a big fan of. 

This would make the game even more immerseive than it already is and create a greater sense of realism, i would love to see this idea come to life and i hope others share the same opinion as i do. 

its a good idea for another game in the future.

Naval Action focuses on Leutenants, Captains, Commodores, Master and Commanders and above. From our experience it is hard to get a good group consistently.

• Like 1

I would love the idea of a multi crew ship. Not necessarily 10 per ship but maybe one sailing whith one gunning. It would still be possible to have large fleets in battle.

If you think that putting more than one person per ship would cut down the number of ships in the battle then it could me made that everyone spawns in their own ship but once sunk they could jump aboard a teammates ship (with their permission of course) and work as their gunner etc.

SYN_Bandy and I sailed and fought a couple of battles together tonight and when one of us was sunk he would then go into spectator mode and help direct fire and keep awareness of surrounding ships. It was very intense and we had such a blast. We were communicating throughout the battle. The only thing that would of made it better is if we able to interact. Would it be so hard to implement? I hope not. I would to love to see this in the future.

I'm loving this game. Keep up the good work devs and thank you.

Well, there is one thing about this issue. From a business point of view, multi-crew ships are big sellers. Just take a look at

how much Star Citizen has racked in by allowing first person multi-crew ships. There's big bucks in it, if it's done well.

However technically, it's would require a lot of work to do it. So I doubt they'll consider it.

At the very least, I would love an option to have First Person view of the Captains position.

Neon

Its not planned from what we know. It would require almost a completely new game to be added.

Well, no, not "almost a completely new game", but significant re-coding yes.

Skydance and I belong to a flight sim squadron, and some of the best times our group of friends have is when we crew multiseat bombers; somebody pilots while others take up gunner positions and help with navigation.  Its a blast. 

You can of course pilot the aircraft and rotate through the gunner positions all by yourself if you want.  In NA, the extra-crew players would be taking over are officer positions (gunnery officers, commander of the marines, etc?) as outlined by admin above.

Just something to consider/keep in mind for a far away future feature update?

Also coming from the flight sim community, I'll agree with the SYN guys. You wouldn't need something as involved as what you have in Guns of Icarus. But two players proving input to the same vessel would be quite enough. One could do manual sails all the way while the other handled shooting.

At the very least, it'd be a good way to pass time after you've sunk. Just hop on a mate's ship and keep on truckin'. Err. Sailin'.

• 7 months later...

And just a quick necro on this thread (since I see Blackwake has already been mentioned on this forum... https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2000479544/blackwake-reboot)  that this 'other' age-of-sail game apparently uses the same game engine as NA and has multicrew ships, though has a different perspective (not trying to be historically accurate).

So it is possible to do mutlticrew without a completely new game, that is, if there is interest in exploring this by the community and time/resources by developers.  Not saying we need this right now, but again, it sure would be nice in the future...

• Like 1

Multi crew games will be fun in instanced mobs environment, with a proper consistent group of friends. 

Players will play for 100 battles and then ask what next. 

Beyond moba arena based shooters multi crew ships design starts to deteriorate:

Lets say you need to make a 2 hour trading run and need 5 people to do it.

Also avatar based games are very hard to make fully server based. Valve has all the resources and CS still has to rely on player reporting and VAC. They cannot make it server based (yet).

BW looks awesome and fun but I can guarantee they have everything on the client and good luck having fun getting killed by head shots from 1 mile away by a cheating enemy crew.

• Like 1