Game-Labs Forum

French Frigate L'Hermione

PIerrick de Badas

Arguably my favorite ship of the whole event (and the most popular it seems, thanks for the fast-passes Maw Maw!), it was astounding to find out that her crew was made up of volunteers only a few years older than myself (avg. age was 28). The history surrounding L'Hermione as Lafayette's carriage to America, and a symbol for the American-French romance adds to her magnificence.

The specs, from length of all the rigging to the length of the voyage :

c0muavJ.jpg

Bienvenue à Philadelphia! I thoroughly enjoyed my tour of the ship, and may very well for a second round tomorrow!

• Like 1

Here is a link to the photos I took at Tall Ships Philadelphia on June 25. I also saw L'Hermione at anchor in the Delaware river off of Wilmington the day before and watched several ships sail upriver. The Kalmar Nyckel from Delaware came out and saluted her as well. Unforutnaly she was anchored close to the opposite shore too far for good photos. I glad I took the next afternoon off to see the parade of sail and I did mange to get onboard just as the rain came and about 30 minutes before closing.

L'Hermione fired a salute that was a like a rolling broadside alternating sides (they fired about 5 guns on each side) which really showed the effects of smoke from just a few guns. I have a couple of photos from the salute. The captain and crew were all wearing 18th century naval clothing and uniforms. I asked about the cannon and they were all cast using 18th century methods. One of the 12lb guns is an original 18th century piece. She has 12 lb guns in the main battery and 6 lb guns on the quarterdeck. They really tried to use as many 18th century shipbuilding methods as possible, including making all of their rope (many tall ships use synthetic materials for their cordage).

I also took some photos of Pride of Baltimore II and Lynx including side by side comparisons of them docked across the river. The wind was actually very favorable and some of the smaller ships were able to sail upriver for the parade. The larger ships had to wait for low tide to pass under one of the bridges.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/25676973@N02/sets/72157654788764850

• Like 2

A good video.

Preparing to pass on the brink of a depression to navigate directly to Europe.

1st , turn to shift the tack and move into position until depression at the new tack. The goal is to return to the brink of depression and remain parallel road, without deviating for not losing it.

2nd, unrig the top gallants (sails and yards) and down to under the gangway. Then take the reefs in the topsails if necessary.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=9FvAq_U_Hwo

Currently barreling east at 10.8 knots. :)

But every time someone on board takes a really good video, they speed it up 10x so you can't see anything at all. Enough with the fast forward! I hope that soon they will post all the raw video they have taken on the internet. No one wants to see slickly-edited diaries, with 5-second clips, always changing. We want to see the ship sail.

A good video.

Preparing to pass on the brink of a depression to navigate directly to Europe.

1st , turn to shift the tack and move into position until depression at the new tack. The goal is to return to the brink of depression and remain parallel road, without deviating for not losing it.

2nd, unrig the top gallants (sails and yards) and down to under the gangway. Then take the reefs in the topsails if necessary.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=9FvAq_U_Hwo

Great video to show preparations for heavy weather. Something that is not modeled in NA. Looks like they did take a reef in the t'gallants (sequence with climbers and camera out on yard). Also good video showing what it is like to work aloft. One point though you can hear someone whistling which some superstitious captains do not allow! 

Surcouf will you tell us when they release the voyage DVD? 

Looks like they did take a reef in the t'gallants (sequence with climbers and camera out on yard).

Surcouf will you tell us when they release the voyage DVD?

The reefs are in the topsails, not top gallants.

Yes, of course, I inform to you for the DVD.