Game-Labs Forum

French Frigate L'Hermione

PIerrick de Badas

For me, the sails of the replica of Hermione are not entirely accurate. The lower sails are smaller than the original.

I think this is also the case of topsails.

Here are some different examples of Hermione:

La Belle-Poule, 12-pdr frigate (model of Mr B.Frölich)

la-bel10.jpg

24-pdr Brig  (Roux)

brick_11.jpg

Didon, the first frigate rank 60-gun 30-pdr (Roux)

frygat13.jpg

74-gun ship type 1780 (model of Mr J.Fichant, plans M. J.Boudriot)

p_74ca10.gif

There are other differences between the original and the replica.

It does not travel a lot. it will be at least six months a year in Rochefort. Is this small city it was manufactured. Before it was a great naval arsenal.

The town of Rochefort has given a lot of money, the elected representatives of the city have signs with the association that the frigate remains at least six months a year.

But perhaps that the frigate will rasempblement several boats.

Probably going to be one of the runner ups in the voting.

By the way did you know our forum member Surcouf works on this ship.

By the way, I didn't saw the Hermione (or any other Concorde class) in the blog post about coming up ships. That's a pity, 'cause my guess is that Hermione's visit in the US during the summer (June 5th in Yorktown to July 17th in Lunenburg) will get a lot of media coverage and general attention.

I understand a partnership with the Hermione association could be unacceptable for a lot of reasons and that time is running short to secure plans (probably easily available through French Navy historical department though) and start modelling the ship, but even a short trailer (like Assetto Corsa's ones in a complete different game type) released during Hermione's trip and featuring the Hermione could get a lot of traction for the game.

For me, the sails of the replica of Hermione are not entirely accurate. The lower sails are smaller than the original.

I think this is also the case of topsails.

Here are some different examples of Hermione:

La Belle-Poule, 12-pdr frigate (model of Mr B.Frölich)

la-bel10.jpg

24-pdr Brig  (Roux)

brick_11.jpg

Didon, the first frigate rank 60-gun 30-pdr (Roux)

frygat13.jpg

74-gun ship type 1780 (model of Mr J.Fichant, plans M. J.Boudriot)

p_74ca10.gif

There are other differences between the original and the replica.

The sails seem to be of a conservative cut, but otherwise I'm not too surprised by that gap. Google images of Rose and you'll see similar, even though they all seem to be taken in no more than a hatful of wind. Unlike the storming pic below:

ADY-111.jpg

stad_amsterdam_11.jpg

Christian Radich and Stad Amsterdam racing. Well cut canvas, well set, and still that decent gap...

Thanks for the continued updates Surcouf, it's great to see Hermione every time :)

Baggy

Thanks for the continued updates Surcouf, it's great to see Hermione every time :)

Your welcome  -_-

Be careful not to compare the clippers with  frigates or vessels of the 18th. There are absolutely not the same.

The France also has the Belem clipper ship. It is very different from Hermione.

Note that the commander of the Hermione is the former commander of Belem.

Belem to La Rochelle (this is my home :)  !)

3b42be10.jpg

tpm_to10.jpg
  • Like 1

You can find some information on the sail area or another, but not in detail. And even if I know the company that made plans, unfortunately, I'm not very friendly with the owners ... It was a can scolded some details of the construction of Hermione.

I'm sorry my English is really bad. I wanted to say I had a discussion with one of the owners of the company who designed the plans of Hermione and that we are not agreed on some details of the construction and especially how to explain why these differences.

But I have great respect the work of the association have managed to build such a boat. Many people did not believe and that many critical construction of Hermione but many people also argued that construction is now the fleet, sailing and preparing to go to the United States is a great success we must congratulate them.

The hull is made entirely of oak.

Some other figures illustrate the extraordinary challenge taken in Rochefort:

Total length: 61.5 m

Hull length: 44.2 m

Width: 11.55 m

Draft: 5.45 m

Displacement: 1,256 t

Sail area: 2200 m2

Length of mainmast 54m (56.5m???) above the keel.

Length of mizzen mast 35m

2000 selected in the French oak forests.

A puzzle over 400,000 wood and metal parts.

1000 pulleys.

1 ton tow for caulking.

26-guns firing cannonballs 12-pdr on the battery deck and 8-guns firing balls of 6-pdr on the forecastle deck.

The crew planned for the US trip is set at 79 people, it will be composed as follows:

17 sailors paid professionals.

A Messman and volunteer steward.

54 volunteers to form a complete crew, but in total, it will be necessary to train 200 volunteers to allow the crew members to the various stops the course of Hermione.

6 more supernumerary be allowed to board (representatives of the press, photographers, video team ....).

Hello all,

The frigate L'Hermione is back at sea for a two days sea trials following a transition in dry dock for preparing for his big travel.

It docked Saturday night in a basin of La Rochelle, it will be very beautiful. A frigate in the city!  :) 

I think I can take pictures next week.

In Bordeaux:

l_herm10.jpg

• Like 2