Game-Labs Forum

French Frigate L'Hermione

PIerrick de Badas

• 4 weeks later...

Anyone still playing the Virtual Regatta race for Hermione? It looks like it froze up and ended once enough people reach Brest.

Oh well, I still clawed up to 1000th place after starting late and spending a few days sailing off in the wrong direction for fun.

I do not know if it was a lot of succes. How many players were conectés the game?

11,000 or so

They ruined it by introducing a bizarre "supplies" mechanic. The ship could only hold food for 16 days (instead of many months). And somehow the fact that your crew was hungry made you sail 4x slower. Because sails care about the health of the sailor or something.

That also made it impossible to go off on your own voyages, because you would run out of supplies.

11,000 or so

They ruined it by introducing a bizarre "supplies" mechanic. The ship could only hold food for 16 days (instead of many months). And somehow the fact that your crew was hungry made you sail 4x slower. Because sails care about the health of the sailor or something.

That also made it impossible to go off on your own voyages, because you would run out of supplies.

Yeah that was bizarre - I was in the top 500 until I had to ration supplies and sail off to a resupply point.

In this picture, we realize the size difference between the two frigates!

The mainsail of Shtandart is smaller than the spritsail of Hermione !!!

The mainmast of Shtandart is just above the topsail masts of Hermione ...

So, the Shtandart is like a sloop of war!

Beautiful meeting between these two frigates :)

41904110.jpg

• Like 3

The original was a little more faster. ;) Captain's log and modern estimation based on 14 or 14.5 knot.

After Hermione, we need english frigate "Iris" for remade an historical and epic combat 1 vs1 ! :D

What's your source for this?

Boudriot never mentioned it in his compilation of sailing reports, and states that the fastest recorded speed for a French vessel in this era is under 14 knots.

J. Boudriot has not worked on l'Hermione, and he could not see everything!

April 19, 1780, l'Hermione is 12 knots. In the captain log(January 23, 1780 to February 26, 1782) the commander does not say he goes faster.

But l'Hermione made another campaigns of war, and it is possible she went faster.

The new Hermione is run 13 knots. You should know; that it has less sail area and is heavier. And she has two pod coming out of the hull! So the old Hermione had to do more than 13 knots.

I'm almost certain.

• Like 1

Sorry for my bad English,

The new hermionen is run at 13 knots "au petit largue" Wind from 80°-90° with 7 meters swells

Le commandant poursuit : « L'Hermione semble glisser au-dessus de l'eau et, phénomène inouï, elle ne génère pas de vague d'étrave et laisse un sillage presque imperceptible ! Plus encore : suite à des difficultés dans le fonctionnement du sondeur et de certaines prises d'eau, on a découvert que sa carène s'enveloppait en route d'une nuée de bulles d'air minuscules, anticipant ainsi, de façon sans doute fortuite, l'une des solutions actuellement à l'étude pour faciliter l'avance des navires. Le sabot du sondeur a été déplacé, les prises d'eau adaptées, mais la « glisse » et les performances sont toujours là : 13 nœuds au petit largue, alors que les calculs théoriques en prédisaient 12.  Un grand coup de chapeau à Henri Chevillard, dit l'ainé, qui en avait dessiné les plans...il y a 240 ans ! ».

Note that the current coating of the hull (antifouling) is not at all the same as that of old Hermione. The old Hermione is lined with copper.

But she had no openings or motor placed on the hull.