Game-Labs Forum

Age of Sail Replica Ships.

Sir Cloudsley-Shovell

• 2 weeks later...

One of my favorite Great Lakes replicas is the Friends Good Will. It's a small topsail sloop of 54 tons. It's a replica of an early 19th century merchant vessel.

102_0668.jpg

Here it is coming into port after a tour. It wasn't windy that day, so it used its diesel engine.

102_0671.jpg

The tiller is fully functional even with the diesel engine.

102_0679.jpg

The replica has one cannon, the British outfitted the merchant vessel with three cannons.

Here are some other pics if you're interested:

102_0670.jpg 102_0672.jpg 102_0684.jpg

If you're still interested, here's a link to the photo album.

Here is a link to the site for the vessel.

• 1 month later...

I can see the resemblance between a sunny island in the Caribbean and a town in the north west of England. I'm not sure what you mean sorry.

He means that "HMS Phoenix" (if that's what she's called now) is/was also known as l'Étoile du Roy, and before then was known as Grand Turk. She played HMS Indefatigable in the Hornblower TV series. 

He means that "HMS Phoenix" (if that's what she's called now) is/was also known as l'Étoile du Roy, and before then was known as Grand Turk. She played HMS Indefatigable in the Hornblower TV series. 

I think you are right actually, I know there is a HMS phoenix somewhere, but that one is the grand turk, well spotted.

Heh, it's not that hard. Grand Turk's kinda distinctive-looking, for whatever reason, and I've seen her in Hornblower enough to know her pretty well when I see her. :P

That does kind of leave the question, what happened to the HMS Phoenix I mentioned? I know there is a replica, but things keep pointing to Grand Turk now.

Apparently not, its still called Grand Turk but its a replica of HMS Phoenix, this clears it up :)

http://www.oldsaltblog.com/2008/11/replica-frigate-grand-turk-for-sale/

Grand Turk and Pheonix are not the same, nor was the Grand Turk based on the HMS Pheonix.  The Grand Turk was loosely based on HMS Blandford (1741).  Both the HMS Blandford and HMS Pheonix (1743) were "post ships", essentially small frigates of 20-24 guns, but I haven't found any indication that they were of the same design.  The Blandford and Pheonix were built from the 1719 Establisment, though the Blandford from the 1733 modification for 20 gun frigates, and the Pheonix from the 1741 establisment of 20 gun sixth-rates:

The 1719 Establishment was the first formal 'Establishment' (mandatory requirements to govern the construction of warships for the Royal Navy) laid down to govern the construction of all ships built or rebuilt down to those of 20 carriage guns, whether in the Royal Dockyards or by commercial contractors. It did not apply to ships and other vessels with fewer than 20 carriage guns (which were unrated vessels). It superseded the previous 1706 Establishment, which had only specified the major dimensions of ships of 40 guns and above (and had specifically excluded the 100-gun first rates).

The new 1719 Establishment was applied to all new ships from first rates down to sixth rates inclusive (i.e. all ships of 20 or more guns) as well as to rebuilds of existing ships.[1] In fact, for the first 20 years from 1719, all ships were technically rebuilds of existing ships, as the Admiralty were constrained not to build "new" (i.e. additional) ships. During this period, a rebuild could amount to anything from stripping off planking to facilitate replacement of rotten timbers and adjustments to suit the required dimensions, or complete dismantlement and construction of what was, for all intents and purposes, a completely new ship making but the scantiest use of timber from the old ship.[2]

More important was that the new Establishment in 1719 was not simply limited to specifying the overall dimensions of each type of warship, but now set out in great detail other factors used in constructing the ship, down to the thickness of timbers ("scantlings") used in construction and planking.

The Establishment adopted in 1719 was subject to substantial revisions in both 1733 and 1741, although on neither occasion was the 1719 Establishment replaced. A new Establishment was finally adopted in 1745.

Before the 1745 centralised all design work in the office of the Surveyor of the Navy, the design of every vessel was the responsibility of the Master Shipwright in the dockyard in which that vessel was built; thus ships built to one Establishment has to conform to the dimensions and other measurements specified by that Establishment, but were to varying designs and therefore did not constitute a "class" in the modern use of the term. The exception to this was when ships were built under contract by commercial shipbuilders, for which a common design was prepared by the Surveyor and copies sent to the shipbuilder for execution; this only applied to some of the two-decker ships and smaller vessels (all three-deckers were built or rebuilt in the Royal Dockyards), and was almost exclusively a wartime occurrence.

There is a brig replica called Pheonix these days, owned by Square Sail, but this is not a replica of that 1741 frigate.

for_phoenix_page_2.jpg

gloucester-tall-ships-festival---friday-

28te5mq.jpg

phoenix-as-la-mouette.jpg

phoenix-converted.jpg

Pheonix works a lot in the movie industry, so her appearance has been altered multiple times (yes, that caravel is Pheonix as well).

• Like 2

Maybe this is just me, but I've always felt that Gotheborg could easily undergo some minor and temporary alterations to play Bonhomme Richard in a movie or miniseries about John Paul Jones. If anyone wants to take this notion to a different thread topic, I'm for it!

The economic crash of this decade has really put some of these great schooners in penny-pinching mode for maintenance.  Unfortunately, they can't be kept up to shape in these situations (reference Bounty, for example), and eventually will hit a point where it is more economical to build a completely new ship.  For something like Amistad, a replica already, I'm okay with that as long as the boats do get rebuilt (or a similar one does).  For originals, I'd prefer to preserve them as much as possible.  As for sailing vs. floating, it all depends on how much of the 'historical fabric' you want to save.  Constitution and Charles W. Morgan have all sailed recently (relatively for their age), and with enough money, I'd imagine that Victory could do the same, though I doubt she ever will.  But, you look at a ship like Constitution, and they estimate only about 10-15% of her wood is original to her construction (much more is original to her active service period, but a lot is also from multiple restorations since then).  If you had the choice to either sail the ship or save as much of that original wood as possible, what's the right answer?  I sure don't know!  Depending on how Victory's current restoration goes, they may not need to end up like Vasa, especially as they weren't submerged, but it would require treating them more like a working ship and replacing parts as needed.  Planking, decking and rigging is fairly sacrificial, and I doubt any of it is 'original' to these boats, as it would be replaced during it's active lifespan (especially in a warship that has seen action).  Essentially, it's the 'grandfather's axe' analogy.  When does it cease to be the original boat and become a replica?  There has been great debate about the brig Niagara's status as either an original 1813 warship or a replica of that boat.  

Like several others have said, though most of her timbers are "new," I still think Constitution is the same ship she was in 1797. She will continue to be so until she is decommissioned (which isn't going to happen) or is totally lost (be it to fire or breaking up...Heaven forbid. Even sinking relatively intact would simply reduce her to a wreck).

On a side note, my wife gave me a pair of cuff links made from Constitution wood removed during her 1971 restoration and a tie clip made from Victory. She's officially won Christmas for the next decade!

Lastly (since we're on the topic of replica and original ships), if you haven't, take some time to look at the Olympia | Independence Seaport Museum. She's in dire need of funding and awareness to stave off a fate as an artificial reef! Next to Old Ironsides, she's America's second most important gem!

Maybe this is just me, but I've always felt that Gotheborg could easily undergo some minor and temporary alterations to play Bonhomme Richard in a movie or miniseries about John Paul Jones. If anyone wants to take this notion to a different thread topic, I'm for it!

True that.

And she would be a passable Serapis as well, perhaps with a CGI makeover.

Of course, she might need to be in dire financial straits for that movie to get made.