Game-Labs Forum

De Ruyter and Nelson - Most Overrated Admirals of All Time?

Kontreadmiral

I have to echo what has been said before: being a great military leader requires just as much charisma as actual military genius/talent. I think that's captured in the Aubrey-Maturin series particularly - the quote about his zeal for king and country keeping him warm may not be historically accurate (or is it? I don't know enough about it) but it does highlight just what it was that made him such a true British hero. He inspired the men around him in a way that I don't think many (if any) of Nelson's contemporary naval commanders could, all the while displaying an aptitude for military tactics.

I have to echo what has been said before: being a great military leader requires just as much charisma as actual military genius/talent. I think that's captured in the Aubrey-Maturin series particularly - the quote about his zeal for king and country keeping him warm may not be historically accurate (or is it? I don't know enough about it) but it does highlight just what it was that made him such a true British hero. He inspired the men around him in a way that I don't think many (if any) of Nelson's contemporary naval commanders could, all the while displaying an aptitude for military tactics.

Certainly. Nelson is as much best admiral as Napoleon is the best general.

I could remove Nelson as greatest admiral of this nation with england in my thread if you like. :D

Fun fact: After the battle of Augusta when Michiel de Ruyter died the french actually did salutation shots in honor of him. Such was his fame, even in that time.

I don't know if many other admirals got that.

I could remove Nelson as greatest admiral of this nation with england in my thread if you like. :D

Fun fact: After the battle of Augusta when Michiel de Ruyter died the french actually did salutation shots in honor of him. Such was his fame, even in that time.

I don't know if many other admirals got that.

I just hope this thread will slowly die, I was not well enough informed about de Ruyter. Nelson was great, I just feel that he wasn't the greatest of all time like many people make him out to be. Nor do I feel that he was the greatest British admiral, that would IMO be Blake.

Edited by Kontreadmiral

• 1 month later...

De Ruyter definatly was one of The greatest, also entitled Bestevaer, meaning hé was beloved by his crew.

This title was also carried by Piet Heijn. The only one ever to return with a Spanish Silver Train, the biggest treasure ever! (The Dutch were thanks to that able to finance the war vs Spain!)

In my opinion Piet Heijn also belongs in top ranks as Admiral!

• 3 weeks later...

Both were Superstars of their time. History needs Heros in a way well we humans do. As with every Hero there is/was a portion of luck. Making the right decision at the right time is one factor but the eney has to react the same way also so that is kinda alyways luck involved. Their names were past on by generations. That's how history works.

Concerning both i don't think their fame is overrated. We can read but we can't feel the battle they fought. It soounds kinda weird , but i found out reading bouta battle and decision which were made and being there are 2 totally different things.

I was in the german army and i had read alot bout tactics aswell and even though i dont see the german army as well trained , i must say i was lucky as i had the privilage of getting more training as most others did. i hated at the time and didnt understand why. Well to make long story short, i did get into a combat situation and found out that making decision under pressure with all consequences in my head is something totally different. Reading bout the whole situation or even better explaing the situation to my superiors was a total different thing. It's actually impossible.

That's why i don't both are overrated. I can not imagine how it is to have command over so many ships with so many sailors and also always taking into account the emotional state of crews and the situation and the way of thinking in that time. History is always a point of view, even facts are a point of view., especially if it's way in the past. 

The biggest and best example for that , speaking as a young german is that none of us younger ppl in this country can reflect on the decision of our grand parents why in hell they voted for that austrina guy in the 30's . From our stand point now a days that's easily said but we never felt the time back then. I hope you understand what i mean , i'm not too good with words :lol:

• Like 1