Game-Labs Forum

Open World/MMO Blueprints For The Developers

Naval Action - Open World Blueprints

I started making this topic a couple of months ago. It was a collection of ideas I had for the MMO part of the game. I am sure that the devs probably already have plans for many of these things but its always nice to have a collective of them in one place to reflect on. This document is still a work in progress but I have decided to post it now because I have seen that Game-Labs are currently making steady progress on the Open world.

Networking

If this game had multiple shards like World of warcraft it would split the community up and mean less enemy ships you would encounter in your ventures. To counter this Naval Action really needs a single shard cloud setup like eve onlines Tranquility cloud server with a node assigned to each region. Another idea would be a hybrid system where the background simulation, political/economical information is on a server while the instancing with other players is handled via multiple P2P sessions I think elite dangerous has something similer to this. A piece of software Game-Labs may which to explore is called RakNet which is a Multiplayer game network engine.

The World

I suggest that the devs don't attempt to create whole coastlines of continents and countries but rather limit sailing to regions based around interesting geological locations, like ports, small islands, shipwrecks etc. This way game-labs can make the world as big or as small as they like. This would still be open world because players would not be limited to what region they travel to. For example when opening the map it should show water territories where you have the option to "set sail" to a region and your ship will then start sailing in that direction automatically with the option to cancel it and regain manual steering by pressing an WASD key. Gameplay wise traders will still have to plan journeys because some regions will be more dangerous to travel through than others.

Travel

Fast travel should be limited between certain ports within your own nation and cost a travel fee. This makes sense because in those times the most accurate Nautical charts would be regions of a nations own waters. I also had an cool concept for teleportation to happen through "whirlpools" which would be the equivalent to eve onlines "warp gates".

Ports and land

Any land related activities should be a bonus to the core game focus which is ships. Actual controllable avatar characters are not necessary. Ports should be non-pvp areas where players can safely dock their ships. Ports should also be the market hubs of the game. Harbor entrances could be patrolled by NPC's or have artillery on the land that would blow up aggressive players outside of certain nation ports. Pirate ports should be have no such added protection.

Clans and Fleets

It would be awesome if clans form fleets and make ship doctrines to fight each other. So say there is 30 different type of ships... A clan may only choose to use 6 different ones in battles but bring multiples to a fight with the same kind of fittings. This will add organisation to a clans navy.

Skills/Experience

There should be no skills or experience in Naval Action, this just makes things a grind fest and Naval Action should be as its name applies Action! The reward you gain from destroying another ship should be gold or equipment, these should need be looted from the water.

Currency

Gold & Silver doubloons.

Artificial Intelligence

Random events just as Krakens, whales, schools of fish, dolphins are all things that would make the open world more interesting,

Edited by Madoc
  • Like 1

As Raatha said...sorry..... but a no to World, Travel and Skills/Experience. No offense but in my opinion world and travel are just bad ideas but for skills/experience I would agree in regards to the player but if you are striving for even the slightest degree of realism it would only make sense for your crew to get better at their respective jobs through either experience or skill accumulation. Don't mean to be negative just my opinion.

Edited by 5KnuckleChuckle

Oh good! You've found another of Madoc's thread.

Trading mechanics: likely in reference to the sale of loot or crafted goods.

sry dude I'm very new here and english is not my native language, I'm from Germany, and if you refer to the krake topic, because of necromance it...

I just clicked on the link in this topic that i foun in first place and this topic leaded to the kraken topic. There I just missed these videos OK...nothing special.

I know from the front page, that there shall be an open world and i want to be a trader not a fighter ;) like I am gona be in SC, more over I found it though the SC Offtopic-Forum. And it's true i have not the total overview over this forum like you do not yet.

Edited by Obinotus

The purpose of the forum is open discussion of ideas. We suggest to discuss the topic and proposals instead of the person :). I would also say that some ideas that you might consider crazy could turn into great features if twisted properly and polished. 

But yes.. Krakens won't happen. PETA covers Krakens i think.

• Like 1

Networking

If this game had multiple shards like World of warcraft it would split the community up and mean less enemy ships you would encounter in your ventures. To counter this Naval Action really needs a single shard cloud setup like eve onlines Tranquility cloud server with a node assigned to each region. Another idea would be a hybrid system where the background simulation, political/economical information is on a server while the instancing with other players is handled via multiple P2P sessions I think elite dangerous has something similer to this. A piece of software Game-Labs may which to explore is called RakNet which is a Multiplayer game network engine. - I have no real opinion, but if pushed a single open world is preferred.

The World

I suggest that the devs don't attempt to create whole coastlines of continents and countries but rather limit sailing to regions based around interesting geological locations, like ports, small islands, shipwrecks etc. This way game-labs can make the world as big or as small as they like. This would still be open world because players would not be limited to what region they travel to. For example when opening the map it should show water territories where you have the option to "set sail" to a region and your ship will then start sailing in that direction automatically with the option to cancel it and regain manual steering by pressing an WASD key. Gameplay wise traders will still have to plan journeys because some regions will be more dangerous to travel through than others.  - Persisent interconnected worlds are better in my opinion. I want to see coastlines.

Travel

Fast travel should be limited between certain ports within your own nation and cost a travel fee. This makes sense because in those times the most accurate Nautical charts would be regions of a nations own waters. I also had an cool concept for teleportation to happen through "whirlpools" which would be the equivalent to eve onlines "warp gates". - I would prefer no fast travel, or limit like PotBS to virtual travel between ports with your ships.  i think you should have to pay dock charges to store ships.  I don't like the idea of whirlpools. 

Ports and land

Any land related activities should be a bonus to the core game focus which is ships. Actual controllable avatar characters are not necessary. Ports should be non-pvp areas where players can safely dock their ships. Ports should also be the market hubs of the game. Harbor entrances could be patrolled by NPC's or have artillery on the land that would blow up aggressive players outside of certain nation ports. Pirate ports should be have no such added protection. - Ports will always be the focal points of a game about ships. PVP will always happen around them as that is where ships have to go.

Clans and Fleets

It would be awesome if clans form fleets and make ship doctrines to fight each other. So say there is 30 different type of ships... A clan may only choose to use 6 different ones in battles but bring multiples to a fight with the same kind of fittings. This will add organisation to a clans navy. - Please don't call them clans, call them squardons or fleets or something, but not clans.  I would rather the games drives the type of ships the groups bring.  Hopefully, not all 1st rates because the smaller ships have uses.

Skills/Experience

There should be no skills or experience in Naval Action, this just makes things a grind fest and Naval Action should be as its name applies Action! The reward you gain from destroying another ship should be gold or equipment, these should need be looted from the water.  - I partially agree here.  I don't what crew skills per se.  However I do want an open world with things other than combat.

Currency

Gold & Silver doubloons. -  No make national currencies, pounds, francs, guilders, etc. as a minimum.  

Artificial Intelligence

Random events just as Krakens, whales, schools of fish, dolphins are all things that would make the open world more interesting,  - I like the idea of dolphins and birds, but open world, trading etc should take priority.