Game-Labs Forum

'Hellas' Greek Frigate 1826 (With Plans)

Sella

• 7 months later...

Added her plans to the original post thanks to a very kind gentleman,Hairy Fishnuts!

Just a reminder before you start saying that the Hudson should be added in the american tree,both of the ships,Hellas and Hudson were ordered by the Greek Navy but Hudson was eventually sold to the USA in order to pay for the Hellas (i know :P ).

Edited by Sella22

• 3 weeks later...

Amazing frigate. Can be a great addition after Constitution. Honestly light blue paint job sucks, add normal British colors and it will look kick ass.

Thank you for the kind words!

I tottaly agree on that.The light blue-white paint scheme was never used,probably the modeler took the liberty to paint her like that.With the british scheme she looks badass.

Let's hope she will make it through the end of the voting phase.Fingers crossed! 

Edited by Sella22

• 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...
13 hours ago, Fluffy Fishy said:

I don't normally like spardecks but I really like this one, its such a shame she's out of period for NA.

Here we say that hope dies last, so I won't stop hoping :) Also, it seems that her armament wasnt really heavy during he Greek service( 16pdrs) so maybe it wont be a beast of a ship if its ever implemented into the game. Plus her sistership the Hudson was only armed with 44 guns but I haven't found out of what caliber yet. I think that it would make a wonderful premium ship :)

I haven't managed to visit the museum yet, but it will most likely happen next month. So expect more photos.

Edited by Sella22

Indeed, I guess NA timeframe was made to have a collection of homogeneous ships in game ('same' armament, no steamboat...).

The date of construction of the Hellas (1826) is very close to the limit of NA time frame (1820). Some mod even spoke of 1820 +/- 5 years.

The Hellas doesn't seem over-powered compared to the others ships in NA. Correct me if I'm wrong.

+ it'd add a new nation of ships in game.

PS : on a final note, a fun nod about the 'Hellas' for our French-speaking ones :

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Fluffy Fishy said:

I don't normally like spardecks

Heh, It's the other way around for me. Poor Wapen is so unappealing to me with it's lego pirate ship looks and abominable vertical bowsprit I couldn't sail it if it was the best ship in game...

• Like 2

16 hours ago, jodgi said:

Heh, It's the other way around for me. Poor Wapen is so unappealing to me with it's lego pirate ship looks and abominable vertical bowsprit I couldn't sail it if it was the best ship in game...

That goes too far the other way for me, I'm quite picky with ship aesthetics. My favourite ships are all from the 1780s. I'm most fond of designs from this period when the waist is fairly enclosed but still a feature. It doesn't really matter if its a frigate or a line ship either I just like a nice bulwark without the enclosed design of spardecks which I think look a bit square and blocky but I don't like the lego pirate ship vibe either 😄

• Like 1

I like the ship... looks like a USA or French design to me... similar some what to the Essex I think... but taller for some reason in the hull... perhaps mounted more guns?

Also... the ship if added must have bow guns... without them it makes it really hard for the newer lone player to hunt with and this ship looks like a hunter to me.

Looks good to me, I am always in for a little more variety.

if so, OP should be updated.

However, only her greek armament could be implemented :

23 hours ago, Sella22 said:

it seems that her armament wasnt really heavy during he Greek service( 16pdrs)

Likewise, only the British armament is currently implemented for L'Unité/Surprise.

2 hours ago, Fluffy Fishy said:

My favourite ships are all from the 1780s. 

1740s is the nicest decade. 🙂

Edited by LeBoiteux
  • Like 1

The most viable option would be a 44-gun set up with full 16pdrs( probably 18pdr ingame). The 62 gun set up would be great but it might be too much unless its still full 18pdrs but that still may be an overkill. 

She has 2 bow chasers and 4 stern chasers as can be seen in the pictures below

20170103_121405.jpg

31671aa013ab049e945570d6c11d1b87.png

52 minutes ago, Hethwill said:

Was cannon :) 42's everywhere with a half a dozen carros ( as customary surely loaded with musket shot to sweep enemy decks ) 

Found her sisterships armament. Altough they say its a 44 gunner, the total amount is still 62 🤔 The source is "The Sailing Navy, 1775-1854" by Paul H. Silverstone.

c428da9504a31b3b3f3ce207dbbbfc9c.png

Also, from  "Register of Ships of the U.S. Navy, 1775-1990: Major Combatants"  by Karl Jack Bauer, Stephen S. Roberts

eb7767f46711deafcba7ab23fa8d0a29.png

"American Heavy Frigates 1794-1826" by Mark Lardas:

79509a5e6634648ea80b3cfb80f09fa8.png4cc8b605f460bd2eab729c1a52e7373c.png

Edited by Sella22
  • Like 1

On 12/12/2015 at 2:26 AM, Sella22 said:

Thank you for the kind words!

I tottaly agree on that.The light blue-white paint scheme was never used,probably the modeler took the liberty to paint her like that.With the british scheme she looks badass.

Let's hope she will make it through the end of the voting phase.Fingers crossed! 

but i do not think we have a list to vote at all...

or even a list for ships to come out 

or even known decisions about new ships.

• 1 month later...

Some new pictures of the model from my visit at the Hellenic Maritime Museum. They aren't of great quality because of the poor lighting and my camera but it's something :)

q6ukdV3.jpg

Jgg8lEe.jpg

bBuZXCF.jpg

TrDpMwW.jpg

qtjnwla.jpg

6LscE0o.jpg

uDMnLYj.jpg

Edited by Sella22
  • Like 4