Game-Labs Forum

Interactive travel map?

I just posted something like this in a different post under a different topic but figured it might get more attention here. I apologize if this has been brought up before. 

What do you think about (if travel times are long) while traversing the open sea you might be able to retire to the captains quarters.

From there you can access a interactive map on the table where you can see what you've mapped and be able to add way points (not sure about controlling the ship from here by clicking the map for a new heading) or points of interest like. Whale sightings... ship wreaks... strong currents... new towns.

Maybe add notes and as you progress throughout the game your maps would get more useful and would give you something to mess with while underway.

Set up a watch and have them warn you of things that might need you on deck.

Not sure how hard this would be. Like an alternative world map with the look of a map on the desk. Maybe some 3d objects like chess pieces representing ships. Lanterns swaying back and forth shifting the lighting on the map.

By looking at the screenshots of the open world I wouldn't want to miss out on the beauty of the travel in the open world I only suggest this for adding notes and possibly something to do while headed for the new world from the old... 

This might be a more realistic way to handle a map rather than POP its a big map in the middle of the screen when M is pressed.

Just a thought... Trying to waste time until I can come play.

post-11799-0-96410100-1426621682_thumb.jpg

post-11799-0-88087600-1426621683_thumb.jpg

post-11799-0-58524800-1426621684_thumb.jpg

post-11799-0-10845400-1426621685_thumb.jpg

post-11799-0-44946700-1426621688_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

I like the idea of a captains quarters with a map, log and so on that gives you something to do/look at while traveling long distances. It doesn't have to be a 100% accurate map, and your location could be an esitmation so you could still get lost.Also you would have a place to hide during a heavy rain shower...

• Like 2

Ah yes 

Discover a new world while lost.  :D

I'm not sure getting lost would be a long term thing. Most sailors used maps and the stars to determine where they were in general right? I could see in a storm or in the fog.

I can understand that the whole map thing can turn into a go online and look at maps players have made then no getting lost. 

I don't have a good answer for that. Myself would like to have my own maps to show my discoveries and an area to place notes but I hear what your saying. 

Will wait and see what direction they head. 

Nice Kao1808!! " um I see the weather changing... come get me if you need me I'll be in my quaters!" 

Edited by StuffinBeard

Where are you headed? What is the heading to such a place?

32 degrees thata way ----->

I'm not against hardcore sailing I kind of welcome it. I just kind of doubt sailors went anywhere without some kind of map or journal other than across the bay. Even today they use GPS but that's kind of cheating haha!

again for gameplay reasons we will have to wait to see where they want to go with it. 8)

I like the Idea of having a map table that has maps/charts that show what you have explored.  Think it would be cool if you could overlay temporarily your estimated bearing/speed/time etc.  When you find a new island it would be accurately placed on the map.  This would help you to compare where you thought you were to where you really are.  I think this would help teach us to navigate and more accurately plot our next voyage.  I don't think this would take away from the ability to get lost and would add to the over all feeling not detract from it.

• Like 1

How about purchasing maps for each Caribbean region in the near University? Player starts game with a simple small outdated map, later when exploring becomes more intense player can visit national universities in big ports and try to get more updated and detailed maps. This way player builds up the ship's library that can contain books, maps etc..

How about purchasing maps for each Caribbean region in the near University? Player starts game with a simple small outdated map, later when exploring becomes more intense player can visit national universities in big ports and try to get more updated and detailed maps. This way player builds up the ship's library that can contain books, maps etc..

I could see a number of rolled up maps that you might have to thumb through to find the right area you are in. This makes checking the map a little more work and not something someone will be tabbing back and forth to. Check the map... head back to deck... check your surroundings and head off toward where you think you need too. 

You know the nearest town so you grab the map associated with that town and you have a map of the areas around there you have been to or what ever a purchased map has revealed.

Maybe in you journal you have what towns = what maps so a quick reference check and you can pull out the map. 

well - its caribbean :)

once you know the name of the nearest town.. you know where you are.

Very true. Maybe the maps could show some finer details like currents or small towns or things that you have marked on the map as poi...

I find the captains quarters a neat way to add some avatar feeling without really having an avatar. (not sure if avatars were ever a thought for the game...I assumed not) 

Even If you were pinned to a spot and could access areas with a simple mouse click... like the journal or the map table. I don't feel the need to walk around in a cabin atm. Have the map only be accessible from the cabin so if your on deck you don't have that map. this would still allow for " getting lost" 

I suppose it might be an issue with ships without cabin space..didn't think about that yet.. :D

Anyway just food for thought

Edited by StuffinBeard

I do not think there will be one. Advanced navigation is what we need. 

I hope it's not to advanced navigation as that time and you will need alot of time to do that and a correct map of at least where you are and where your going and if you are gonna travel over the atlantic you need to know latitude and longitude and the time differance in hours -1 hour for every 10 degrees you go east, thing that to mush work and not enough fun, so i hope it's not "advanced Navigation" we get but just a bit of navagation as it's no easy thing to navigate and i know ;)

I hope it's not to advanced navigation as that time and you will need alot of time to do that and a correct map of at least where you are and where your going and if you are gonna travel over the atlantic you need to know latitude and longitude and the time differance in hours -1 hour for every 10 degrees you go east, thing that to mush work and not enough fun, so i hope it's not "advanced Navigation" we get but just a bit of navagation as it's no easy thing to navigate and i know ;)

There was a post made by Admin not long ago about - Navigation using stars. ;), this will be 'advanced navigation' and could actually educate players.