Game-Labs Forum

Not enough Delay on "F" key--the Key changes to fast

AP514

*EDITED as thread grows

Really a Big Problem that I..and others that I have talked to... Is going from Manual Sail to Auto Sail.

The "F" key does Not have Enough Delay(*Registers several F's in 1 stroke)... So when I hit the "F" key I go from Manual to Autoback to Manual in 1 stroke of the Key.

**Note for those that could not figure out what I am saying :

KEYSTROKE  SPEED IS TOO FAST......not any problems with other Keys just wish they could program the F keystroke so it is slower

Here is an overblown example:

Say I hit the  "F" Key to type ( change from Manual to Auto sail )...and when I hit the key I get 2-F's in 1 hit....(  F F  )

I would like to see a delay in speed so when I hit the  "F" key I only get 1 F..........( F )

Anyone esle want to see a change PLEASE post.....

Edited by AP514
  • Like 1

I'm not sure I follow

yeah i'm going with this response ^^^

this sound like more of a keyboard issue than a gameplay issue. as if you have your keystroke turned up too high, or set to repeat instead of single stroke

I'll back this up.  I have had this happen fairly often with the sails mode switching back and forth.

In all my other games/general usage I don't have any issues with keystroke speeds.  Just naval action, and honestly just with the auto/manual sail settings.  Nothing else in the game seems to read/switch so fast.

Edit:  Thought about it some more and this could be way off base, but could it have something to do with moving yards?  Like you were just moving your front yards a bit before resetting to auto and there is a "lag" (for a lack of a better term) so it thinks you want to self-control them and switches back to manual?  As I think about it the "F" key will activate auto sailing, but it doesn't activate the manual in and of itself.  Could there be an issue there rather than the F key itself?

As I said, I have seen the seemingly touchy toggle back to auto from manual sails fairly often myself (not gamebreaking, just irritating at times) but have never had an issue with any other controls in either Naval Action or any other program I use.

Edited by ingerad

F key only puts sails to auto but what you said happens if you hold down some other key (wasd) at the same time.

Ah if that's the case then yeah should get a fix.  If it isn't a key that adjusts my yards it shouldn't effect manual or auto sails.

But as I said, hardly a major problem.  Once in a while it will hurt me, but the vast majority of the time it doesn't matter.  Fix it, but hardly needs a hotfix lol.

I've had a problem with the F key as well, but not exactly what you're talking about.

For me, sometimes when I'm in manual sails, I'll press the F key to switch to auto, but nothing happens. Usually on the second, or third press of the key it'll work. Not really a major problem, but It can be quite annoying during close combat to find out you're in manual sails when you were suppose to be in auto sails.

• Like 3

Im having problems with the F key, Im having to press it twice to go back to auto. When I click F from manual it is going to auto then back to manual with just 1 keystroke. Hit F twice fast and then it works fine. Something needs to be fixed its not on this end have tried with another keyboard also, same result.

If you hit F it often registers several F hits instead of 1.  This is what the issue is.  So it won't switch back to auto but go back to manual.  Often I have to hit f 2 or 3 times before it finally switches to autoskipper and sticks without going back to manual.  I know there is video of this issue somewhere, don't remember what one though.  There have been a few posts about it too.

Edited by Prater

I had noticed this problem with the F key from manual to auto skipper and was'n't too bothered by it, now  I am playing around with Voice Attack and so far have not got the timing of the commands sorted in order to eliminate the problem.

Still learning VA it's a WIP and good fun.

Its not a problem about the F key if you ask me.

I have this happen a lot times, too and I figured the problem is with setting yards manually.

If you put the yards hard over to the other side and then decide to go auto because of whatever reasons you tend to have no impact on the skipper. So as long as the maual yards want to go to their designated direction the autoskipper will not interfere.

By holding F down for a few moments the auto/manual toggels a lot until it finally sticks to autoskipper

If you hit F it often registers several F hits instead of 1.  This is what the issue is.  So it won't switch back to auto but go back to manual.  Often I have to hit f 2 or 3 times before it finally switches to autoskipper and sticks without going back to manual.  I know there is video of this issue somewhere, don't remember what one though.  There have been a few posts about it too.

Yeah but try this.  Make sure you're in auto mode and then hit F.  It won't switch to manual.  That's because F is only the toggle to go into auto.  Not between Auto and Manual.  That's why I think there's something else going on.

I've had a problem with the F key as well, but not exactly what you're talking about.

For me, sometimes when I'm in manual sails, I'll press the F key to switch to auto, but nothing happens. Usually on the second, or third press of the key it'll work. Not really a major problem, but It can be quite annoying during close combat to find out you're in manual sails when you were suppose to be in auto sails.

Liam

Not that the key is not working for you.....it actually is going so fast that your not noticeing that when you hit the F key to go back to AUTO it is going Auto to Manual in that 1 stroke. You think it is not working at times

Edited by AP514
  • Like 1

Its not a problem about the F key if you ask me.

I have this happen a lot times, too and I figured the problem is with setting yards manually.

If you put the yards hard over to the other side and then decide to go auto because of whatever reasons you tend to have no impact on the skipper. So as long as the maual yards want to go to their designated direction the autoskipper will not interfere.

By holding F down for a few moments the auto/manual toggels a lot until it finally sticks to autoskipper

You lost me...??

So are you saying that you can not go back into AUTO Skipper until a time period has passed from going Manual ? or are you saying that the yards have to finish moving from the manual inputs then you can go to auto ?

The Main Problem to me is I get Several F key Registers/inputs/hits from 1 key stroke

I am also having this problem.  Mostly just a nuisance until you get to close combat, I have missed numerous broadsides (and taken quite a few in return) because it didn't return to auto when I wanted.  Even got me sunk a couple times.

I am not sure if it's registering multiple keystrokes, lagging inputs, or what.  When I press the F key, I sometimes see it switch from Manual to Auto, then immediately switch back to Manual.  Other times it doesn't even switch in the first place.  Without more info about how the game processes control input, it's hard for me to figure out what exactly is going on.

I haven't noticed if pressing other buttons contributes.  I certainly am not pressing the manual sail controls, but I'm usually also straightening my rudder, changing sails, etc.  I will pay closer attention next time I play.

• Like 1

I am also having this problem.  Mostly just a nuisance until you get to close combat, I have missed numerous broadsides (and taken quite a few in return) because it didn't return to auto when I wanted.  Even got me sunk a couple times.

I am not sure if it's registering multiple keystrokes, lagging inputs, or what.  When I press the F key, I sometimes see it switch from Manual to Auto, then immediately switch back to Manual.  Other times it doesn't even switch in the first place.  Without more info about how the game processes control input, it's hard for me to figure out what exactly is going on.

I haven't noticed if pressing other buttons contributes.  I certainly am not pressing the manual sail controls, but I'm usually also straightening my rudder, changing sails, etc.  I will pay closer attention next time I play.

I've had these exact symptoms before as well.  Brand new keyboard, so a sticky key or the likes shouldn't be the issue.