Game-Labs Forum

Fictional ships

colorado71

Probably for many of us, some of the best books about ships are Rafael Sabatini's Captain Blood's adventures. It would be nice to have in this game his Cinco Llagas/Arabella galleon. I always imagined it somewhat as Frigate Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde, but with only 40 canons.

friedrich.jpg

NO!!! as someone who left world of tanks because of the use of unhistoric tanks and joined war thunder for that reason and then left war thunder(one of hte reasons being they were doing more and more unhistorical things), i greatly dissaprove of this, there are plenty of real ships which sailed and often the fictional ships where based on something in real life(thus it will most likely allready come in game) or were not build due to various reasons including the config not working.

• Like 2

The community appears to be, in general consensus, against the use of fictional ships (however their concern is directed towards more of the "Black Pearl"-esque ships). However, the game and game-style tends to lend itself to historically accurate ships and combat mechanics, so fictional ships may not be the best option for the game. 

But as you stated, many fictional ships often are modeled after real ones (in some cases) so should you find what the inspiration for the fictional ship is, I'm sure the community would like to see it and consider it :)

Edited by William the Drake

I very much do not want fictional/fantasy ships. If your fictional ship was just a renaming of a real ship, then sure, but if the whole design was only on paper (and computer screen) then I personally do not want it.

Edited by Capt Aerobane

I very much do not want fictional/fantasy ships. If your fictional ship was just a renaming of a real ship, then sure, but if the whole design was only on paper (and computer screen) then I personally do not want it.

Aye, I agree with this. 

Second topic about this.. 

We already have several fictional ships in the game. We plan to add more.

Yacht for example - existed only on paper. Because we plan to use Chapman drawings further - we do guarantee that some fictional vessels will be implemented in the game.

Yacht for example - existed only on paper. Because we plan to use Chapman drawings further - we do guarantee that some fictional vessels will be implemented in the game.

But aren't these "fictional ships" in Naval Action created from plans that were drawn in historic times?   "Chapman" is Fredrik Henrik af Chapman correct? 

I suppose if a ship was planned/drawn, but never made, it is by definition "fictional" BUT this is very different than something like the Black Pearl which was never conceived historically except in Disneyland.

I'm OK with historically conceived ships, NOT Disneyland ships...

EDIT: Good to know below Admin, much appreciated!

Edited by SYN_Bloody-Bandy
  • Like 1

Yes.. historically conceived ships, or ships that could have been drawn by a historical architect.

Second topic about this.. 

Interesting.

I was given the impression that it needed to be stricter than this, pedigree and all.

Makes sense it solves a lot of problems, though it might rub the salty dogs the wrong way.

There's "fictional," and there's "fantasy." I can understand adding some fictional ships that are realistically designed (perhaps by basing them off historical blueprints and drawings) and can therefore fit in well with historical ships that are/will be in the game with them. Fantasy ships, on the other hand, like Pirates of the Caribbean crap or other fantasy ships that have significantly less connection to reality and would be very out of place alongside the historical ships... just no, IMO.  

I don't mind fictional ships as long as they stick to historic accuracy. like no really knows for sure how blackbeard armed his ship but based on salvages they can say that their was a real mix of cannon size and caliber. so for the devs to use that and guestimate his ship would be cool. but I don't want to see the black pearl or a whalebone ship :)

• Like 1

I definitely agree there's an important difference between fictional and purely fantasy.

I have no problem with 'fictional' ships as long as they're properly designed or just a generic ship type with specific exterior/decorations etc, as long as the ship is realistic, has a use in the game, doesn't break balance etc etc, the line between fictional ship and actual ship is rather thin. 

That said, no whacky designs please. No Black Pearls with tattered sails and magic. 

Would enjoy the TinTin ship, though  :D

Visuel_Licorne_40026_1321540842.jpg

Edited by SchurkjeBoefje

Can some one tell me if there is somewhere available plans/drawings of semi-fictional galleon Neptune from the port of Genoa? They say on wikipedia, the draft is only 2,2 meters, a fact that is surprisingly for a galleon with 65 meters length.

Title012.jpg

800px-Pirates%2C_Roman_Polanski%2C_boat_