Game-Labs Forum

On the differences between Naval and Civilian Vessels

Portsdown

You never see it on models - the differences that make Warships Warships rather than Civilian Ships with more guns. And they are important, they have an impact on the relative capability of vessels.

The most obvious can be seen, or can be seen partially, here:

gallery_10090_143_4805.jpg

See that 'knitting' on the bulwarks? Its for the hammocks. Buy day, in all but the worst weather, and at Quarters by day or night, those nets would be full of tightly rolled hammocks, in special weatherproof covers, stood on end. The effect was to raise the bulwarks as an obstacle to borders and to provide cover from Musket Shot and, to a lesser extent, Grape. The nets were also provided along the forward edge of the Quarter Deck - they had an impact on the casualty rate among the officers stood there.

Commercial ships didn't have the ratio of crew to volume that a Warship had, so they neither had the need to stow so many hammocks out of the way nor the number to provide the protection. So the crews on the exposed decks of Commercial ships would be at greater risk from Musket and Grape than those of Warships.

As I say, you never see those nets full in models, physical or electronic and preserved ships. You do see it sometimes in paintings, but not as often as you should.

----

Now to things I have seen described but NEVER seen in model, drawing or painting.

The first is a simple extension of the hammock nets - Boarding Netting. Its hard to pin down exactly what it looked like, as it changed according to ship and era. But at the very least the areas not covered by the Hamock Netting would be provided with extra netting to make it difficult for borders. I have read of it being angled outward somewhat, also of it being extended up the shrouds (the ships own crew would ascend the first stretch on the inner side, leaning backwards). It was still in use late enough to be photographed on American Civil War ships - but it was in use as early as the era of the Mary Rose (see below).

The other is Splinter Netting. This was rigged horizontally, above the decks, and caught splinters, block and other material dropping from the masts and rigging. I have never seen examples or illustrations but have seen it referred to in many sources. Again it probably varied from ship to ship and captain to captain. Steel (1794) refers to it as Quarter Deck Netting, rigged to protect the officers in that area only. It also had an incidental anti-border role. In fact, on the Mary Rose, in an era where gunfire was much less important, that was its principal role and as a result it was much more tightly rove to the edges of the ship, to prevent men crawling round the edges. As a result many more men died when the Mary Rose sank, unable to get out through the netting, than would otherwise have been the case.

It was also a common practise to prepare for damage in other ways. For example a Warship would rig its Relieving Tackle, tackle directly connected to the tiller that would allow steering, with reduced sensitivity etc; should the wheel or its ropes be shot away (this happened to Victory at Trafalgar).

In short - a Warship cleared and rigged for action would have a somewhat different appearance than you see in museum ships and models, including the models used in this game. It would be somewhat more resistant to the effects of musketry and grape, losses due to items dropping from the rigging and boarding, than the equivalent Commercial vessel. Finally it would recover from the effects of damage even faster than you would expect from the disparities in crew sizes between a Commercial and a Naval vessel.

Obviously, however, Commercial vessels could have rigged Boarding and Splinter Netting, or done some of the other things, - but they would have had to trade that off against expense, storage space and the limitations imposed by their smaller crews, which is probably why they didn't, as far as I am aware.

Edited by Portsdown
  • Like 3

It was also a common practise to prepare for damage in other ways.

Chains on the yards, too, so you don't get several tons of timber crashing to the deck when a lift gets cut.

As for the boarding and anti-splinter netting, it's always been my impression that no one (even serious nautical artists ever represent it because how un-aesthetic it must have looked.

• Like 1

Very much so.

May I ask for more details of the incident depicted (I am unable to read the name) and the artist?

I note no hammocks - but the vessel is small and might lack this feature.

PS: I suspect that arrangement is a bit 'extreme' for use anywhere but at anchor.

Edited by Portsdown

After much searching.

A man bringing up his hammock for stowing:

gallery_10090_143_164608.jpg

Later, a man with his rolled hammock, as if ready for stowing (left bag)

gallery_10090_143_321484.jpg

A model showing one idea of how they looked. Some ships used canvas rather than nets but I think there was an upper cover that protected the hammocks from the weather and would have hidden their indevidual detail.

gallery_10090_143_41714.jpg

A model with a set of full nets, closer to how I understand they looked.

gallery_10090_143_8969.jpg

May I ask for more details of the incident depicted (I am unable to read the name) and the artist?

I note no hammocks - but the vessel is small and might lack this feature.

PS: I suspect that arrangement is a bit 'extreme' for use anywhere but at anchor.

I only stumbled upon the painting by sheer coincidence (I was looking for image that showed a guy pendent attached to the boom of brig or schooners).

The painting is Pacific Intentions, A visit to Hope at Cumshewa's August 20, 1791 by Mark Myers; (painting info, painter infp, more images).

I agree that the netting is somewhat extreme, mostly because the boom is prevented from moving to either starboard or larboard.

~Brigand

I agree that the netting is somewhat extreme, mostly because the boom is prevented from moving to either starboard or larboard.

Yeah, it's probably designed for inshore work. The painting certainly gives you the feeling that they are worried about being boarded by indians at any moment.

you forgot the planking.... :) Not that you can see planking.

I take it you are referring to Scantlings Sir.

You are indeed correct, I thought it unnecessary to mention such a well known detail.

For shame! Such lack of Nauticality! Officers today, mere Theorising Landsmen! One would think that you had never been to sea, never stood a watch in a true North Atlantic blow!

<Leaves the Quarter Deck muttering about the wreck of the service and the wearing of Round Hats>

Edited by Portsdown
  • Like 1