Game-Labs Forum
admin

Open world - Beautiful places

Still trying to understand the open seas concept. Will we experience the same level of detail put into battles in the open world?

Yes.  From what Admin has said, you'll fight in an instance very similar to what you see in the current Sea Trials, so fights resulting from Open World encounters will look similar to what you see today (plus or minus, things are still in development).

Nice work!

While I certainly appreciate the posted 'aerial shots' and the work the devs are doing to make the world more visually appealing, and how 'aerial shots' show off the new terrain better and provide more aesthetically pleasing images for us waiting to join in testing, how does this distant 3rd person view integrate into the game?

I ask because you could be well zoomed-out and thus see what may be lurking in the next bay, or behind a headland.  If this distant view is in game, it could be abused to reveal someone waiting to ambush you for instance. 

We don't know, but personally I'm hopeful that the view will be limited to a sphere immediately around the ship.  If they replaced the third person view with a masthead view, that would be enough for me.  For now, one way to showcase the immensity and coolness of Open World is to pull back to a high altitude - look at it as a "landscape" shot and less as a "gameplay" shot.

I think a prototype view of immediately on the deck of your ship (and the option to walk about it) would be cool to pass some time. This could even be expanded into entering instanced rooms like your personal cabin, gun decks, etc

I think a prototype view of immediately on the deck of your ship (and the option to walk about it) would be cool to pass some time. This could even be expanded into entering instanced rooms like your personal cabin, gun decks, etc

Yes I would like this very much, especially after spending hours sailing in the test (which is not boring by any means) I have had many moments where I just wanted to listen to some sea shanties and walk around my ship, check my inventories, interact with/manage officers/crew. 

Looking at all of the images, and they truly look amazing. The turquoise waters, and the light blue for the shallows makes a feeling you are actually there.

I think color palette wise, you nailed it head on.

Speaking of the beaches, i would suggest if you could put few more "coastal" textures for the beaches itself. Right now, it looks like every beach is littered a bit with branches, and a bit of foilage. This is fine for the beaches that borderline the palms and such, but I would suggest having 1-2 more textures of:

1. Just plain clean sand

2. A big log (remaining of the palm tree)

... to vary the theme a bit.

To illustrate my point if you look at this post by Leviathan:

http://forum.game-labs.net/index.php?/topic/4225-open-world-beautiful-places/#entry83648

...the first island is actually more of a sandbank, and in that cases you might want a cleaner sand texture than the one being there. However, I am only saying this by examining the screenshots in great detail. I very well could be wrong and not seeing the other ones

Since we will be sailing a bit, i would also suggest adding a few "crooked palms" that bank over the beach here and there. Would make the foilage look more organic. To illustrate what i mean: (not a palm but will use for demo purpose)

5694658503_c9020bd68d_z.jpg

...anyway, can not wait to get to open world. Devs, i truly believe you have something special there. Keep it up :-)

Edited by Grunf

They've said they won't be beautifying the coast anymore for a while as they are focusing on open world game play, which means it opens to players sooner, but I've no doubt they will add to it in the future. The debris on some beaches looks great and has variety, there are also rocks and plants underwater in some of the shallow areas, really looks amazing.

A small patch they introduced after a few days of OW testing made an already gorgeous sky and lighting model look even better, so there will be continuous improvements as it goes.

Just off the coast of 'British' Jamaica....  ;)

jamaica.jpg

That definately looks like a photograph  :blink:

We don't know, but personally I'm hopeful that the view will be limited to a sphere immediately around the ship.  If they replaced the third person view with a masthead view, that would be enough for me.  For now, one way to showcase the immensity and coolness of Open World is to pull back to a high altitude - look at it as a "landscape" shot and less as a "gameplay" shot.

I hope that aerial views will somehow remain. It would be a waste of coolness if they completely disappair after testing. Maybe only when you're docked?

Could someone post some gameplay views of open world? Would love to see some shots from the deck.

Looking forward to claiming my home Hispaniola.

Just try to make sure that your home doesn't end up being a mud beach in Samana Bay... :P

(That's a reference to the book Lieutenant Hornblower, btw, for those who don't get it.)

Edited by Arvenski

I have a question but first OMG these shots are amazing!! Really has set my mind at ease concerning the open world.

My question is how do the clouds work in open world? I have seen the same tall cloud shape in many different screen shots even one that looks like it's same cloud just on back side of island. I'm not complaining just curious if I'm just seeing things or they are a place holder for the time being or can we expect the clouds to move along throughout the world? I would love to actually see a storm moving in with lightning and rough seas. Just dreaming for the future I know this will probably not be anytime soon but is there a chance that might come to fruition?

Anyways thanks so much for the screens! Very interesting some of the places mentioned too...

Im so ready to play (test)! *Whistling, looking up and to the left*...* slides money in devs pocket* <------ nobody saw that right!!?

The clouds most definitely move throughout the day/night cycle. Yes, there may be a few times you notice the same cloud but the area is so big that it doesn't happen often and is by no means obvious.

Any chances for more pictures? or you not allowed? :)

We can't post them directly. Admin runs through to choose images that best reflect the game and the state of the build, as well as screening for any issues or other items they don't want made public. Since they're working full speed on Open World features, they don't have time to do this at the moment, so unfortunately, there is a lack of information release right now.

The game as a whole is great, it's progressing, and the Developers are working extremely hard on it, which is why everything is so quiet. Take heart, be patient, and there will be Open World Goodness just as soon as they're at a point that they want to expose it to more testers. Naval Action expects every Captain will do his/her duty.   ^_^

We can't post them directly. Admin runs through to choose images that best reflect the game and the state of the build, as well as screening for any issues or other items they don't want made public. Since they're working full speed on Open World features, they don't have time to do this at the moment, so unfortunately, there is a lack of information release right now.

The game as a whole is great, it's progressing, and the Developers are working extremely hard on it, which is why everything is so quiet. Take heart, be patient, and there will be Open World Goodness just as soon as they're at a point that they want to expose it to more testers. Naval Action expects every Captain will do his/her duty.   ^_^

Thx for explanation:) all i can say; hurry up with testing:) joking...

Edited by Bart Smith

Thx moderators for updates, the screens truly look amazing.

Currently working on getting a Vic, then Santi, to get in the Open World test sooner ;-). Love the game so far

How come none of the pictures with ships in them show the six foot tall banners with the players name on them? Perhaps they are dropped in Open World (gawd I hope so)?

Is this 1:1 scale to the real world?

lol no.. And thats fine. After all this is a game not a simulation.

And as such gameplay needs to be exciting rather than boring.

But trust me when I say: The world is HUGE already!

You can not sail from one end to the other in a few hours. You need quite some time.

someone said its 20 hours from one ende ot the other of the caribbean. My experience says there's possibly even more time needed.

lol no.. And thats fine. After all this is a game not a simulation.

And as such gameplay needs to be exciting rather than boring.

But trust me when I say: The world is HUGE already!

You can not sail from one end to the other in a few hours. You need quite some time.

someone said its 20 hours from one ende ot the other of the caribbean. My experience says there's possibly even more time needed.

It depends on the time compression rates they implement (and wind of course).  I've heard moderators have already gone through a few different ones.  The time we gave of 20 hours was pure speculation based upon fragmentary clues from the devs.