Game-Labs Forum
admin

Open world - Beautiful places

Poyraz    129

I use R9 280x and it can run everything on ultra with 45fps, and 75 fps with antialasing turned off on 1920x1080. New video cards won't break the sweat. Game is very stable.

I have also 280x in my rig and I would suggest keeping antialiasing while reducing anisotropic filtering since it gives better quality/performance results.

Antialiasing: Softer edges on all objects

Anisotropic Filtering: Optimized graphics on far away objects on the horizon

Windy    28

Has anyone notice theres NO crew or Guns in the screenies of the Lynx...Interesting...

Ned Loe    3,790

Has anyone notice theres NO crew or Guns in the screenies of the Lynx...Interesting...

It might be added later.

we use library of congress maps from 1700-1800 period. If you have detailed maps of old bahamas and the spanish main coast (from trinidad to sisal particularly) we would appreciate it a lot. You can upload them to drop box and send the link to me in private.

ADMIN, you have a MP

mouse of war    532

I have in my house a cute little puppy. I am holding a gun to his head.

If you don't let me into the open world now the puppy gets it.

Mouse of War (aka Captain Office)

Nice work!

While I certainly appreciate the posted 'aerial shots' and the work the devs are doing to make the world more visually appealing, and how 'aerial shots' show off the new terrain better and provide more aesthetically pleasing images for us waiting to join in testing, how does this distant 3rd person view integrate into the game?

I ask because you could be well zoomed-out and thus see what may be lurking in the next bay, or behind a headland.  If this distant view is in game, it could be abused to reveal someone waiting to ambush you for instance. 

Windy    28

A small question, has the land collision been fixed in open world ?

Because Ive noticed sand bars here and there, and running aground would be problematic and also real.

And sailing through the islands would be intresting but unreal.

Nathaniel    275

Nice work!

While I certainly appreciate the posted 'aerial shots' and the work the devs are doing to make the world more visually appealing, and how 'aerial shots' show off the new terrain better and provide more aesthetically pleasing images for us waiting to join in testing, how does this distant 3rd person view integrate into the game?

I ask because you could be well zoomed-out and thus see what may be lurking in the next bay, or behind a headland.  If this distant view is in game, it could be abused to reveal someone waiting to ambush you for instance. 

Well, the Open World with all the kindy is in essence a map, like the potbs-one global transportation map was. So while ship visibility is a thing to tune, surely, you probably won't be able bo hind behind a headland.

Killick    57

I really dislike the birds-eye aerial view, both in combat and now also in the open world. We go through all the effort to recreate the 18th century and then we look at it from a perspective nobody ever saw it from back then. Why? It completely kills immersion and realism. The ships look like toy boats from above. The fact that a 3D engine can provide aerial view doesn't mean it should.

maturin    5,454

Well, the Open World with all the kindy is in essence a map, like the potbs-one global transportation map was. So while ship visibility is a thing to tune, surely, you probably won't be able bo hind behind a headland.

Oh, you can certainly hide behind islands and headlands. Why shouldn't you be able to?

If we measure distances in the open world based on the size of the islands and landmasses, visibility is 20-35 miles. If you are sailing in hostile waters, survival will require constant vigilance, with your head on a swivel. Just like in real life at sea, a strange sail can be a smudge on the horizon one moment, and bearing down on you another.

I really dislike the birds-eye aerial view, both in combat and now also in the open world. We go through all the effort to recreate the 18th century and then we look at it from a perspective nobody ever saw it from back then. Why? It completely kills immersion and realism. The ships look like toy boats from above. The fact that a 3D engine can provide aerial view doesn't mean it should.

Don't worry. Aerial views are just prettier, so people use the Home button (a free camera testing tool that will be restricted in the final game) to take them.

The actual gameplay camera is the same as in battles. That means that if you want to look at something in the distance, the height of your camera is no greater than the masthead.