Game-Labs Forum

Admittedly I've only progressed to a privateer, but as all of the ships to this one are fore and aft sailers (ignoring the foretopsail on  them) wouldn't it be better to have the sails hoisted in the regular manner that was (I believe) common at that time and have the staysails utilised for getting underway?

Or is this something that will change at some point in the future?

No I mean the small triangular sails at the foremast to the bowsprit, they're called staysails.

From what I seem to recollect the staysails were raised 1st then the foretopmast sail. The mizzen would have been last.

Weren't yards only struck down when the ship was laid up or removed for repair?

Edited by BusterGut

As I recall the foretopmast staysail appears about the same time as the fore and maintopsails when you go from Full Stop to Dead Slow.

AFAIK ships only ghost along on fore staysails when they are pulling away from an anchorage, barely at steerage way. Or perhaps to control rotation while drifting with the tide or settings topsails. Because if you want to go anywhere fast, you need the topsails set.

By hoisting yards, I meant the fact that topsail and topgallant yards need to be raised from the caps to their respective mastheads. In the game they are always fixed at the latter position, which means the sails are just being clewed up and down.

In the Navy fully manned a frigate or line of battle ship could set all three masts one sail at a time plus the headsails at the same time, main mizzen and for topsails would be sheeted home together and halyards walked around the deck at the same time.  Of course at sea in watches this didnt always happen this way but the Navy had the manpower and knew how to do things efficiently.  

Check this out.