Game-Labs Forum

"PVP Random" Battle mode?

I mentioned in another thread regarding sea trial changes that a random ships battle mode might be a good way to help some of the less tested ships get more attention and a few people seemed to think it wasn't a bad idea.

Is a random ships battle mode something the community would participate in for sea trials?

That is: a battle mode say "pvp light random" and/or "pvp random", in which you enter and for the battle get put in a random ship of the ones you've unlocked, and the system calculates after assigning ships how to split them for even sides?

If people would play it, would theoretically test all of the ships evenly.

Edited by Devante del Nero
  • Like 8

Great idea! I'm ashamed to say that I myself get caught up in the damage grind, and totally forget about how enjoyable earlier ships were. I also think that the earlier ships are probably the least tested, seeing as everyone speeds past them to get that first frigate or what have you, so there could be some problems with earlier Lynxes or Cutter's that might go unnoticed.

This sounds like a good way to get that well rounded game and testing experience.

a damage bonus for fighting one sided matches would be nice. lately for me each PVP match is no fun at all as the teams are just way to lopsided. If i go into a match where its obvious I will lose but I get bonus points for even sticking around and being a good target then why not make it hurt a bit less?

Edited by Joe

Its motivating to gain other ship, i think its bad idea to implementing random pvp with random ships.

It is not a bad idea. It simply doesn't suit everyone. After all, all gains will be lost.

Random at best would be another sea trials mode and wouldn't interfere with normal "grind crews", right ?

Your proposal is a valiant one, but you are, like many great men before you, ahead of your time. Currently, there are two major problems with your proposal.

A.

At the moment, the player base is split roughly into two by allowing PVP and PVE. A further division would result in smaller battles and extended waiting times, less accurate group battle samples and, most of all worse matchmaking. This is something one can look into once there is a stable playerbase big enough to support such modes. Think about it that way, would you rather have normal PVP or random PVP if you only could have one of them?

B.

The way progression is handled at them moment such a game type would not do. As ships tend to do more damage the more guns and higher caliber guns they have, you could not implement a general experience earned. One could implement a certain factor, like 1.5 for snow, 1.0 for trinco or 0.5 for victory. One could most certainly make it work, but only at the expenses of a lot of trouble and most likely a lot of folks unhappy with the progression system. After all, people want to play that shiny new ship they just unlocked and most think bigger is better.

Edited by Kngsbrg

Your proposal is a valiant one, but you are, like many great men before you, ahead of your time. Currently, there are two major problems with your proposal.

A.

At the moment, the player base is split roughly into two by allowing PVP and PVE. A further division would result in smaller battles and extended waiting times, less accurate group battle samples and, most of all worse matchmaking. This is something one can look into once there is a stable playerbase big enough to support such modes. Think about it that way, would you rather have normal PVP or random PVP if you only could have one of them?

B.

The way progression is handled at them moment such a game type would not do. As ships tend to do more damage the more guns and higher caliber guns they have, you could not implement a general experience earned. One could implement a certain factor, like 1.5 for snow, 1.0 for trinco or 0.5 for victory. One could most certainly make it work, but only at the expenses of a lot of trouble and most likely a lot of folks unhappy with the progression system. After all, people want to play that shiny new ship they just unlocked and most think bigger is better.

You have a point about smaller battle groups and longer wait times. The problem the devs are facing is that the smaller ships aren't being played as much. I don't think the current damage progression system would have to change at all even though progressing players would be less likely to use it. I could see random battle mode being used mainly by the players that have unlocked all of the ships. But you could just give random battle mode a general damage boost to encourage use by mid-progressed players I suppose.

• Like 1