Game-Labs Forum

Can't get past the login screen

John Teaque

Ahoy!

For about a week or two now I haven't been able to get into the game. The game starts fine and closes when I quit. When I try to login (Steam login as always), it just keeps connecting and nothing happens and if I quit the game at this point, the process "Client.exe" is left hanging in the Task Manager Process list without any description. It also is impossible to close the process at this point as it just gives an error about not being able to close the process. Only a reboot works at this point as Steam also thinks the game is still open even if it isn't (only the "empty process/shell process" is hanging on the list).

Any idea what might be causing this? As I said, this just started maybe a week or two ago and I haven't been able to solve it. Also nothing has been chanced on my computer.

My PC specifications:

- ASUS P8Z68-V PRO
- i5-2500k @ stock speed atm
- 16gb DDR3 1600MHz
- NVIDIA Geforce GTX 980
- 2x SSD (120gb for OS and 256gb for top games - NA installed on this one)
- 1tb HDD

- Windows 7

Things I have tried:

- Checked that NA is on the firewall's allowed list

- Also tried shutting down firewall entirely

- Repairing game files in Steam

- Reinstalling Naval Action

- Repairing C++ redist x86

- Reinstalling C++ redist

- Rebooting PC many, many times

- Resetting modem and router

- Forwarding needed ports

- Even bypassed all my network devices connecting to internet via my phone's shared mobile broadband

Thank you for any information & solutions on this problem!

Kind regards,

John Teaque

Edited by John Teaque

Ahoy!

For about a week or two now I haven't been able to get into the game. The game starts fine and closes when I quit. When I try to login (Steam login as always), it just keeps connecting and nothing happens and if I quit the game at this point, the process "Client.exe" is left hanging in the Task Manager Process list without any description. It also is impossible to close the process at this point as it just gives an error about not being able to close the process. Only a reboot works at this point as Steam also thinks the game is still open even if it isn't (only the "empty process/shell process" is hanging on the list).

Any idea what might be causing this? As I said, this just started maybe a week or two ago and I haven't been able to solve it. Also nothing has been chanced on my computer.

My PC specifications:

- ASUS P8Z68-V PRO

- i5-2500k @ stock speed atm

- 16gb DDR3 1600MHz

- NVIDIA Geforce GTX 980

- 2x SSD (120gb for OS and 256gb for top games - NA installed on this one)

- 1tb HDD

- Windows 7

Things I have tried:

- Checked that NA is on the firewall's allowed list

- Also tried shutting down firewall entirely

- Repairing game files in Steam

- Repairing C++ redist x86

- Rebooting PC many, many times

Thank you for any information & solutions on this problem!

Kind regards,

John Teaque

i miss: checking your steam name i can only contain letters in order to connect to the game

i had the same thing i couldn't get in open steam and noticed my old name

What about your router? One way you can check is:

Download TcpView from Sysinternals suite --> run it --> start your game and try to login --> pay close attention to tcpview for the "client.exe" line and see if establishes

I have tried to reboot my modem and router but actually I could try to reset my router to factory defaults and see if that helps. I'll report the results when I have tried it. :-)

i miss: checking your steam name i can only contain letters in order to connect to the game

i had the same thing i couldn't get in open steam and noticed my old name

try this first

edit: how I understand what he said is that if the steam name contains anything other than letters you can't connect to the game.

Edited by uldo

try this first

edit: how I understand what he said is that if the steam name contains anything other than letters you can't connect to the game.

Oh sorry I forgot to mention that in my last reply. My steam name is quite short and contains only letters (no numbers, spaces or any other special characters). It is also the same that I used until this problem began. :-)

Edited by John Teaque

I tried to reset my router to the factory defaults and no luck, still getting infinite "Connecting" -phase and at that point I need to restart my computer if I want the Client.exe process to clear up. I wonder if it is something in the newest patch that wreaks havoc with my system? Don't know, the problem is really weird I must say.. I will keep tuning in to see if someone else has anything else regarding this problem. :-)

Have you checked logs? in you game logs directory (default C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Naval Action\logs or in Steam --> right mouse click on NA --> Properties --> Local file --> Browse local files) there's a "custom_[date]" logs.

Check at which point it hangs and what it says. DON'T POST THE WHOLE LOG HERE!!! It contains information that shouldn't be publicly shown. If devs ask - that's a whole different story.

Edited by uldo

Have you checked logs? in you game logs directory (default C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Naval Action\logs or in Steam --> right mouse click on NA --> Properties --> Local file --> Browse local files) there's a "custom_[date]" logs.

Check at which point it hangs and what it says. DON'T POST THE WHOLE LOG HERE!!! It contains information that shouldn't be publicly shown. If devs ask - that's a whole different story.

Thank you for your reply! A dev actually asked me for the logs either sent manually or using the crash report tool and it has been done now. We'll see if the devs come up with any solutions. :-)

You don't have a recording software active do you?  I think I had a similar case once and I needed to exit out of the recording software and relaunch it before I launched Naval Action.

The only other thing that probably (most likely) wont work but deals with program startup is deleting the CLIENT entry in c:\windows\prefetch   I highly, highly doubt it will fix it but worth a shot.

You don't have a recording software active do you?  I think I had a similar case once and I needed to exit out of the recording software and relaunch it before I launched Naval Action.

The only other thing that probably (most likely) wont work but deals with program startup is deleting the CLIENT entry in c:\windows\prefetch   I highly, highly doubt it will fix it but worth a shot.

Nope, no recording software.. nice catch though! Also I'm gonna wait for devs first but I'll keep that prefetch folder in mind. Thanks! :-)

this could fix your problem...

Thank you for the reply! Still, I'm sorry to say that did not fix it. A dev said it seems to hang because of something related to network. It is just that my network devices and firewall settings are absolutely same as they have been since I bought Naval Action and started playing. I have tried to disable my firewall and reset my modem and router but it did not help either. It seems to be a really strange and mystical problem, I'm starting to lose hope soon, I've tried everything I can think of. Let's hope it will fix by itself in result of some update or something like that. :-)

Funny you should mention this, it took me 7 attempts to get into the game around 4pm uk time today, it just hung and when I went into the game the clock  or timer stopped, did'nt need to re-set my router I just logged out and waited 5 minutes and it's ok now. gremlins in the system I guess..

For grins, have you tried bypassing everything but the modem by plugging directly into it?  If the modem is an all in one switch/router/firewall, that might be pointless.  Heck, try Starbucks (though I'm not sure if they're passing the correct ports there or not).

Yep I shared my mobile broadband connection to my PC and tried to play but still the same problem persists so that definitely rules out my network devices as the source of this problem. I've also reinstalled Naval Action and checked that my firewall is not blocking it (as I said before, tried even disabling the firewall) and I don't have any other programs or changes that have been made/installed since I started playing Naval Action... So like I said it's a really, really mysterious problem.. :-)

Edited by John Teaque

Have you tried this?

also a little explanation about it

Thank you somehow I have missed that post before! My apologies! As I said the dev also said the logs show that the problem is related to network and that's why I tried to connect via my phone's mobile broadband connection and even that didn't help. I will try the TcpView to see if I can resolve possible problems with my computer/windows settings (even though they are 100% same as they were before the problem started). :-)

EDIT/UPDATE: I tried to use TcpView but couldn't make anything out of it, "Client.exe" never showed up in the TcpView list. Time to give up! :-P

Edited by John Teaque

• 2 weeks later...

Ahoy!

Today out of the blue I managed to successfully login! I have no idea what was wrong as everything I tried was in vain but now I tried to login once more and I got in easily. See you all on the high seas! ;-)

This thread can be closed.

Edited by John Teaque