Game-Labs Forum

Warning pings!

Have you ever had a teammate ram you despite that you wrote watch out in chat several times?

Have you ever been forced to take a full Santi broadside becasue a player is blocking your way and doesnt leave room for you despite that you ask him several times politly in chat?

A lot of the time people concentrate so much on the game itself and also tend to tunnelvision while aming that they do not pay attention to chat and sometimes not to the surroundings either.

I think it would be great if it was possible to warning ping teammates. Lets say you got a list of teammates on the left side of the screen at some hotkey combination to select one of them + issue a ping. That ping would show up as a red flagg on that players screen + a sound alert. 

If that player is aiming or looking in a nother direction or not reading the chat and a warning sounds he will know that a teammate wants his attention and hopefully check surroundings and chat.

If we tal about realism here I am sure that if ships sail close togheter they would be able to signal each other to communicate so it wouldnt be totaly unrealistic and at the same time might help the issue of friendly accidental ramming or blocking.

regards

Collision bells warnings right now provide enough time and distance to avoid collision and take corrective action. 

Additional signal can be provided on a button - with only concern - some players will ping it all the time, just for fun, making the feature useless. 

We can add a text pop-up in addition to a collision bell. 

Collision bells warnings right now provide enough time and distance to avoid collision and take corrective action. 

Additional signal can be provided on a button - with only concern - some players will ping it all the time, just for fun, making the feature useless. 

Wait, theres a collision bell in the game?

Collition bells??!!! Didnt know that. Anyone willing to part with info regarding hotkey for that? :)

Regarding the risk of players spaming warning pings. It would be possible to restrict the amount of pings possible to issue each game. Lets say max 10 pings/player and game. That way people have to use them only in emergency and if they spam, well they wont be able to spam for a very long time.

I hear them many times ( thought they were signalling ALSO other events ) even when far from ships. I will report.

I hear them many times ( thought they were signalling ALSO other events ) even when far from ships. I will report.

Bells only signal if there is a vessel nearby. Enemy or Friendly. You also hear other vessel's bells. They are fully automatic and give enough time to at least look at the mini map and change the course if needed.

I like the bell.

In my experience, the ESC-to-leave-chat causes many close calls.   The extra time to notice I'm not turning, see the line of ddddd's in the chatbox and then recover is a problem in a significant % of my close calls and collisions, especially when I'm the one having to react to a friendly whose lookout is distracted.

Edited by Lt. Obiquiet
  • Like 1

Bells only signal if there is a vessel nearby. Enemy or Friendly. You also hear other vessel's bells. They are fully automatic and give enough time to at least look at the mini map and change the course if needed.

Thank you. At what distance does the sound triggers ?

Edited by Hethwill_Khan

Wait, theres a collision bell in the game?

Well, yes.

I think it's not the case. Most people don't know what the bell means. If you find a way to inform all the players what the sound means, no pop-ups will be needed.

Actually, they provide too much.

90% of warning bells are false positive, especially in the opening moments of a game.

However, they could still be a useful feature if the sounding of a warning bell gives players that heard it the right the sound their own warning ping. And it would have limited audible range. This would cut down on the traffic jam car horn honking.

I like the bell.

In my experience, the ESC-to-leave-chat causes many close calls.   The extra time to notice I'm not turning, see the line of ddddd's in the chatbox and then recover is a problem in a significant % of my close calls and collisions, especially when I'm the one having to react to a friendly whose lookout is distracted.

imho, it can be easily fixed.

Every time you want to write in chat press "Enter" --> type --> "Enter" submits your text and exits chat.

If you want to cancel typing, do something and then continue typing: "Enter"---> type --> "Esc" exits chat box ---> Do stuff--> "Enter" back in chat and continue typing/delete or whatever...

Edited by uldo