Game-Labs Forum

List of ships and other vessels in the game

Brigand

I would also like to see a more diverse line up of vessels, with more emphasis on the smaller ones. But the developmeers/admin have so far not given any indications that they are looking at things like ketches, bilanders, hoys or luggers.

In the meantime, I just try to keep the list of ships and vessels in this thread up to date. Who knows what the future brings :-)

~Brigand

• Like 1

you mean the mortar brig? she is based on the normal brig

I see I made an error in my previous post; the text in my previous post should have read:

No sir, that is a bomb ketch, not a brig. (I've edited my previous post)

Then, I'm aware that they choose to put a mortar brig in the game. I think (hope) this was done just for 'simplicity of development' a bomb/mortar vessel needs a lot of room between her masts to be able to fire the mortar. Because of this, the brig rig is not at all practical, with here two masts spaced quite evenly in the vessel. Far more practical (and the typical choice in history) is a vessel with her main mast set in the centre of the vessel and a mizzen set aft of that to balance the rig. This leaves a lot of room in the bow of the vessel, ideal to set up your mortar.

Brig rigged vessels where attempted, but I don't think they where the most succesfull experiments.

Also, since there is a book name "Anatomy of the Ship - the Bomb Vessel Granado (1742)" I think it somewhat logical that the developers choose to model her. But who knows, my crystal sphere is malfunctioning all the time :P.

~Brigand

List updated;

The developers wild card for the Player-selected ships 2015, Le commerce de Marseille (Ocean Class) a 118-gun first rate ship of the line has been added.

~Brigand

I'm pleased by this decision.

As I mentioned several times and not getting tired of it: I like the less decorated ships of the Napoleonic wars the most.

The Ocean-class is very eye pleasing to me for a 1st and the Le commerce de Marseille got a very modest yet beautiful take on the figurehead, just like Victory. I really like that.

All in all I would have preferred a ship of Téméraire-class since I believe it would probably get used more but I recognize that the Ocean-class is very sleek for a 1st rate and furthermore could serve the purpose of closing a gun gap between Victory and Santisima Trinidad though if balanced according to history it would end up stronger than the Santisima.

Either way beautiful choice.

I love asking this question  :)

But i would like to see whats being modeled since im eager to see La Belle Poule because ive seen pics of it being modeled and therefore i would like ask whats being modeled at the moment and what will be the ship we see next time an ship is being added, hopefully open world would be top priority but still want to know since im hyped about the open world trade and economy.

L'Unite's burthen is much too high. Should be down around 350 tuns for the 24 gun 8 livre corvette. This is the vessel that was taken into service as Surprise, with 24 carronades of 32 pound, and 10 carronades of 18 pound.

There are other vessels with the name Surprise or Unite/Unity but this is the "O'Brian" sixth Rate/fifth Rate.

You sure about that I got the the burthen from threedecks.org.

~Brigand

Updated:

• the brig is confirmed fictional: "It is not modeled after any particular ship".
  • The Surprise's tonnage (burthen) has been updated (thanks Lieste, threedecks had the displacement listed as burthen).

~Brigand

Why the Snow was named so in the game, when it is named Ontario?

I think the in-game snow was only roughly based on the Ontario (maybe on a cheap model kit?), instead of a detailed (digital) reproduction. The Ontario has been listed in the poll for player to vote on, on which I based my idea that the in-game snow is not the Ontario, or at least not identical. It has however been very difficult to get references about the origins of the in-game Snow or the cutter for that matter).

For this reason, I've listed her name as a best guess for her origins.

Hope this explains it.

~Brigand

Ah, the Thames shipbuilders method :-)

other methods include:

Burthen = ( (Length on deck - (Beam * 0.6)) * Beam * (Beam / 2) ) / 94

Burthen = ( Length on deck * Beam * Depth in hold ) / 100

Burthen = ( Length on deck * Beam * (Beam / 2) ) / 96

Where the denominator changed during the years (gradually growing smaller) and Depth in Hold was not uncommonly replaced by half-beam.

There is an interesting dissertation on the topic:

Tonnage Measurement of Ships: Historical evolution, current issues and proposals for the way forward

by Aji Vasudevan, World Maritime University, Malmö, Sweden

Cheers,

Brigand

Le Commerce de Marseille broadside is too heavy.

32 × 36pd + 34 × 24pd + 34 × 12pd + 18 × 8pd + 6 × 36pd = 2736pd

2736pd /2= 1368pd (36pd carronades included)

You are correct, and looking at the number I listed, I have no idea how I came up with it.

I've updated the list as follows:

lower deck   : 28 * 36-pounder guns  + 4 * 36-pounder stern chasers,

middle deck : 34 * 24-pounder guns,

upper deck  : 34 * 12-pounder guns,

fore castle   : 16 * 8-pounder guns  + 6 * 36-pounder carronades  + 2 * 8-pounder chasers

Broadside weight: 1,288 livre du roi (French pounds).

I wonder if I should show the values converted to English pounds; the difference in French pounds vs English pounds being 1 livre du roi = 1.079 lb. So a broadside weight of 1,288 livre du roi would translate in ~1390 lb.

Thoughts?

~Brigand

• Like 2

French 118-gun :

- 1786 :  32 × 36pd + 34 × 24pd + 34 × 12pd + 18 × 8pd + 6 × 36pd 124 guns

- 1807/1812 : 32 × 36pd + 34 × 24pd + 34 × 18pd + 14 × 8pd + 12 × 36pd 132 guns

Because so many ships have been upgraded through their career, it would be too complicated to list all their loadouts in one table. When I first started, I had the latest loadout of the ships career listed, but since some of the ships are quite modern, their loadout was updated later than the 1830s, so outside the period of the game. So, instead I choose to list the first/initial loadout for ships.

Hope this explains it,

Brigand

• Like 2