Game-Labs Forum

List of ships and other vessels in the game

Brigand

Yacht now has 35 crew.  Privateer schooner is probably American.  Did they change the cutter?  I thought it had 40.

Updated, the cutter complement was my fault.

I didn't want to put up Privateer schooner as American, because it is essentially a fantasy edition, as opposed to the historic ones.

~Brigand

Ok, I didn´t know that ship-rigged was the old term for full rigged. As a German it sounds that stupid that I thought "It has to be wrong".

But the old term "ship" was used for every vessel with 3 or more square rigged masts + bowsprite, nevertheless Bellona, Victory Santissima and the future "big Boys" are Ships of the Line in type.

I hope that the confusion is over now.

Instead of Ship, list category as SOL which will eliminate confusion.

Yes - Ship of the Line (SOL) refers to a rate of ship big enough to sail in the line of battle whereas the term "ship" generally means a type of rig - ie 3 square rigged masts. A "ship-sloop" refers to an unrated warship with 3 masts as opposed to a "brig-sloop" which is an unrated warship with 2 masts. Then "sloop" also refers to a type of rig - a single masted vessel like the cutter (or a modern sailboat). Confusing, eh?

The caveat is that this is generally RN or USA usage. A good reference is Nelson's Navy  by Brian Lavery for the RN.  For anyone who wants to look up ship stats such as launch date, number of guns etc try here:

http://threedecks.org/

Instead of Ship, list category as SOL which will eliminate confusion.

... and ...

Yes - Ship of the Line (SOL) refers to a rate of ship big enough to sail in the line of battle whereas the term "ship" generally means a type of rig - ie 3 square rigged masts.

Due to popular demand, I've renamed 'ship' into 'ship of the line'.

A "ship-sloop" refers to an unrated warship with 3 masts as opposed to a "brig-sloop" which is an unrated warship with 2 masts. Then "sloop" also refers to a type of rig - a single masted vessel like the cutter (or a modern sailboat). Confusing, eh?

A bit of confusion seems to be around indeed. If you dig into the material from the period, you will find that sailors of the time where quite lax with how they described things, but at the same time it was all very clear to them, with little to no margin for misinterpretation. This lax use of words confused early 20th century writers, and their misinterpretation is now typically build upon by modern authors.

A Brig is a vessel with two masts (but the reverse is not necessarily true), as is a brig-sloop, where the sloop part refers to the hull lines. The same goes for a ship-sloop: a ship with the hull lines of a sloop.

The sloop also indeed is a type of rig for single masted vessels, not unlike the majority of modern sailing yachts. Yet, it is not the same as a cutter: the cutter has a bowsprit and possibly jib boom on which she flies additional head sails.

Cheers,

Brigand

Although `was build as a SoL we are going to have the razee-frigate version ingame.

No, the razee-frigate was a separate suggestion in the initial list of vessels if I remember correctly. The votes clearly went to the 64-gun ship version, which was, by the way, a fine ship. There was nothing wrong with her, she was only supersede by the French, which build only 74-gun ships and larger by the time Indefatigable was launched.

~Brigand

The final poll is explicit in describing the Indefatigable as a 44 gun razee.

Ah, yes, now I see. My mistake, I'll update the list.

It is curious though, she made it into the final poll bases on votes for the 64-gun ship?

~Brigand

Yep Ocean is in.  Not sure how I feel about that since we already have two other 1st rates and no 2nd rates but I guess it does round out the big 3 nations.  Victory for England, Santi for Spain and now Ocean for France.  

On a side note, of all the 1st rates, I think I like the Ocean Class the best.  It has great lines, very sleek and deadly looking so there are alot worse choices that could have been selected.

Edited by Austrum

second rates are not important they almost cost the same as an first rate have less fire power and are just as bad in handling.

the only decent and cost and performance wise are the later two decker second rates.

and there is a ship request still going on from admin for a second rate no worry.

second rates are not important they almost cost the same as an first rate have less fire power and are just as bad in handling.

the only decent and cost and performance wise are the later two decker second rates.

and there is a ship request still going on from admin for a second rate no worry.

I think 2nd rates are important for 2 reasons.  One, for progression.  Doesn't really matter that in real life they weren't efficient due to being almost as costly as a 1st rate while not providing the same level of firepower, this is a game and they are needed for progress purposes.  Also since they were built, you kind of need them for completion.  secondly, there is no best when it comes to games like this, not really.  For example one of my favorite ships is the HMS Mordaunt and I would love to sail her in game despite the fact that overall she would be generally weaker than most of the more modern frigates currently in game despite being rated as a 4th rate SoL.  Someone will just prefer the way a 2nd rate looks or because of some historical significance or because it happens to be a specific nationality and they will play it exclusively.  Happens every game.

Also not worrying.  I mean I know they are going to be adding tons and tons more ships to the game so eventually 2nd rate ships will show up.  I guess what I was getting at was we already had two 1st rate SOLs in game so it just seems like there were so many much more interesting ships they could have chosen.  I mean I was sincerely rooting for the Wasa with its unique Swedish nationality, not to mention I was intrigued by its description as being a SOL designed with a shallow draft so it could operate in shallow coastal waters.  This would could be an amazing ship in the open world of example and it would have added in a interesting 4th rate SOL which is currently a classification lacking in game.   That would have been a better choice for a wildcard in my opinion.

But....like I said, of the 1st rates I have seen, the Ocean class is the best looking in my opinion and while I didn't have much interest in the Victory or Santi, I might be able to climb into an Ocean. Can't really say why, it just seems to have better, more sleek lines than the other first rates. 

The main bonus of the three decked second rate was that they were often confused with first rates and also gave a superior position in close action due to the extra deck but in truth they weren't great and the third rates as Mirones has mentioned performed far better. Nevertheless I obviously would like to see one as I have written and have already approached the relevant channels to hopefully get it introduced.

Well, at least they chose a very beautiful first rate.

Totally agree with this one.  I am not hugely disappointed in the fact they chose the Ocean Class because it is quite honestly about the only 1st Rate I might be interested in sailing.  I guess I am just being a bit selfish because I am a huge fan of 4th rate SOLs from an aesthetics point of view and it is a classification totally lacking in the game and unfortunately seemingly unpopular both historically and by the game community.   On the other hand, I will have the Ingermanland soon enough so guess I will have to be happy with that hehe.