Game-Labs Forum

A treatise on Naval Action: a complete guide - Mr. Doran

Mr. Doran

8 minutes ago, TheHaney said:

Well I'm almost in a frigate so I'd be happy to be a pawn in a video demonstration if this is being actively worked on :P I think a video, with pauses for commentary and notation, would be extremely valuable to newer players like me.

Hell, even a video of someone moving ship-shaped pieces of paper on a table with commentary would be useful as a visualization of these tactics.

It might happen. It was happening; Both an unfinished updated version that's sitting in Doran's drawer and supplemental (moving) illustrations. We came for the pure PvP and OW wore us down with all the added <clears throat> content other guys immerse themselves with.

Duel room and custom battles MUST come to NA Legends and I'll be happy to teach you what I was taught once that's easy to do again.

What server and faction are you playing?

Unfortunately I don't have access to Legends yet, just started playing the base game a few days ago, on Global PVP USA. For the purposes of contributing to an immortalized guide, however, I'd be happy to level up to a frigate or comparable vessel somewhere else.

I do find it interesting, the chasm between people that like the OW/open pvp versus what sounds like a more structured, balanced, faster-paced arena mode in Legends. Personally I came for a mix of Sid Meyer's Pirates and EVE Online, and I've been reasonably pleased so far :P

Edited by TheHaney

2 minutes ago, TheHaney said:

the chasm between people that like the OW/open pvp versus what sounds like a more structured, balanced, faster-paced arena mode in Legends.

OW is great, hunting there is great and will be missed in legends. 

While we wait you can practise this over and over until you puke. You need to be able to do this without even yellow-lining your cognitive capacity so you can use that to outplay your opponent.

mKmr3gA.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Read it some time ago, beautiful work mr Doran

Something similar maybe could be implemented ingame in a new tab in port, call it Manual, FAQ or "treatise on naval action" or whatever... 

Id imagine a manual kind of booklet where the most important things are listed and linked so a player can look it up there first. Maybe a bit more basic and not only battle oriented mechanics (e.g. ships listed with stats shown and explained, crew and rank explained, repairs, crafting a ship, buildings, ....)

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0mo_aCPriQJZE0zM3VkY2pRd3c/view

It might be a bit outdated but you could read if you like. Personally I think having the wind in naval action is not as much as an advantage as it should be since ships can turn very fast while tacking and angle themselves.

edit. I posted this on wrong topic lol 

Edited by HachiRoku
  • Like 2