Game-Labs Forum

A treatise on Naval Action: a complete guide - Mr. Doran

Mr. Doran

Dr. Doran, seriously, this is a peace of Art!  

Thank you so much for putting this tremendous amount of work into this piece. (Have to fully learn the terms to fully understand it though :) )  

This should be stickied on top of every guide subforum and every captain should be forced to read it! 

Thanks a lot!

(Puchu)

Which is pretty bogus. Was I going to repair my hull with that sailcloth?

Separate repair pools and cooldowns for everyone please.

Actually, you might fother a hole in the hull with a sail, but, yes, there really should be separate "stocks" of supplies for repairing hull and masts, sails, and equipment. There need not be the same number of,repairs available for each. It makes sense for a rudder or pump to only be repaired once, say, or for sails to only be repaired twice if damaged more than 50%, say. IBut it's possible the repair feature hasn't been fully developed yet for Open World, where I'm sir ethos stocks so supplies will come at some cost.

Back OT, though, thanks for this labor of love. Quite enlightening, and it has improved my play already.

a tip for non english speakers like myself: separation means: you need room while being on the luv side to turn towards the enemy, if the enemy closes in and denies you that room, you have to turn away from him (tack trough the wind). sounds simple, but i didnt understood it the first time reading :)

gifs for better understanding, all rights lie by mr.doran:

http://imgur.com/gURoO8Q

http://imgur.com/rFK2VJ3

http://imgur.com/DS4L0lK

http://imgur.com/Rw96lmz

Edited by Schuetzengel
  • Like 5

You should all be glad he wrote it, I was trying to make sense of all of this over skype :wacko:  Hence my little diagrams.  Schuetzengel, those gifs are excellent.

Grim, it is form both.  They apply to whichever situation you find yourself in.

Edited by Balck
  • Like 1

I think I dueled Mr Doran the other day.   I was in a pretty bad funk on how badly I was beat.   (I feel better knowing I was crushed by one of the best)

That being said this treatise has been what I've been looking for.    I hope to spend many-a-hour pouring over this (already have).

Thank you, this took a great amount of work.    But I bet you loved every minute.

A good guide for the aspiring duelist. It carries very little weight for larger scale engagements, but a basic understanding of the concepts laid out here are essential for any sea captain! Well done!

Group fighting is a mega dumbed down version of the duel and is covered. Larger the group fight......... the more dumbed down it becomes

Excellent. You go with that theory. You are 100% right...

When put into action on Trafalgar, and people actually listen, it is a complete wipe out.  Without fail, ever single time.  

Edited by Balck
  • Like 1

When put into action on Trafalgar, and people actually listen, it is a complete wipe out.  Without fail, ever single time.  

Unless the opposing team has also read the guide, and pulls to leeward, shooting at masts. The guide admits that this meta is practically unbeatable.

So the admiral needs to engage in a game of chicken, feinting to leeward in order to make his opponent mirror the move, then stealing the wind with the smallest possible margin of error.

Unless the opposing team has also read the guide, and pulls to leeward, shooting at masts. The guide admits that this meta is practically unbeatable.

So the admiral needs to engage in a game of chicken, feinting to leeward in order to make his opponent mirror the move, then stealing the wind with the smallest possible margin of error.

Indeed.  The margin for error is even smaller in group battles because the discipline needed to retake the wind is seldom present.  

The outcome of these battles can and is usually decided within the first two to five minutes.  Once wind is conceded it's lights out, merely a matter of time.  Shooting at masts is only effective if the charging team does to line astern rather than line abreast.

Manual admits its nigh unbeatable in a 1v1 scenario if you do it PROPERLY and 100% PROPERLY which most people don't. It has its highest strength in 1v1 and low-medium strength environments; in large scale environments E.I. Trafalgar it becomes suicide to perform kyting behavior if the opposing team can muster up the cohesion and discipline to close distance properly and quickly. The general reason for this is that fleet momentum of the kyting force is heavily weighed down by the constant turning. The energy deficits created aren't as big of an issue in duel but when you have an entire fleet trying to shove itself up your ass it becomes and problem and allows for easy division of the belligerent's fore. 

Excellent. You go with that theory. You are 100% right...

ALTHOUGH a public environment it still put theory to the test; group fighting is a dumbed down version of the duel.  

2015-01-09_00017_zpsm9xx96fx.jpg

2015-02-10_00005_zpsr7n2hdkt.jpg

2015-02-19_00001_zpsguica1ny.jpg

In fleet battle today, especially Trafalgar, I would contend that the leeway position is advantageous, and that the battle is most often won by the side that gets that slight jump that allows them to take a position that slightly kites the noise, curls and assumes the downwind position.

The guide is excellent...but I think fleet maneuvers is a slightly different beast.

Just my opinion. You may benefit fully from it as the opposing team if I am wrong :)

Edit: as with all these random pug matches, it really boils down to executing a single vision as a group (in an effective manner, with skill) ... And having leadership to guide that vision.

Edited by Grim DeGrim

Not that I care one way or another on whether a group fight is a massive duel, but those screenshots don't prove anything except that your team won.  I think all of us have had rosters look like that at the end of a battle they won decisively using any number of strategies.

• Like 2

Not that I care one way or another on whether a group fight is a massive duel, but those screenshots don't prove anything except that your team won.  I think all of us have had rosters look like that at the end of a battle they won decisively using any number of strategies.

And you're right, any wipe out rooster could be used to say x of x did y but that isn't the point of why these are posted but one way to show that x of x consistently does y and can not be beaten by z if x of x is done properly. 

Except that correlation does not always imply causation.

Anyways, we derail the thread. To each their own on group strategy I suppose. Your effort with the guide is undeniable and appreciated.

Edit: someone else can write a guide on group combat if they feel they can do better, until then...Yours is it.

Edited by Grim DeGrim