Game-Labs Forum

Rescue survivors

Okay I don't actually have the game yet (just bought the key today) but I have been watching it extensively on Twitch and YouTube.

I was thinking it would be a nice feature if, when a ship is in danger of sinking nearby friendlies could come along side and transfer crew off the sticken ship and add them to their own compliment. 

Or, when a ship does sink it could leave behind some lifeboats with X amount of crew in each one, that friendly ships could intercept and rescue. 

This way a friendly could replenish dead crew or add extra crew members for ship duties.

• Like 1

I think that would add an element to the game and certainly add to the level of graphics. (I do like my pretty screenshots)

For me I think anyone in a ships boat is a survivor or rowing to a surrendered ship to place a prize crew on board.

I also think that a ship with a mass of debris close by and boats in the water, Ensign lowered/white ensign flying is a brilliant way to depict a ship that has lowered its flag and undergoing emergency repairs. Any enemy ship approaching to close range and I imagine this ship would strike to them and become a prize. Original Ensign flying below the new owners Ensign

After battle survivors could be friendly therefore returned to their own establishment after the battle (Maybe a fixed reward) and enemies could be exchanged for similar incentive.

I would see survivors as a hold commodity, anyone dragged out of the water or prolonged time in a ships boat after working like demons first to save their ship is unlikely to be in a physical or mental state to be worked. However after the battle perhaps the option to augment your crew with friendly survivors somehow may be possible.

My favourite battle pic, note the survivors in boats and in the water and the floating wreckage, part damaged masts etc.

The_Battle_of_Trafalgar_by_William_Clark

• Like 3

It would certainly put a face on those over the battle declining crew numbers... but too much to handle, I doubt this will come anytime soon. It would either look very generic or would be a huge burden on the engine, even if you'd run it completey on the client side.

I will save them al'right. That is what grapeshot is for :D

Joking aside, exactly what Monsieur Darby said.

Maybe for Open World we can have this feature. Would add some nice levels of interaction including the exchange of prisoners, increase of crew ( for pirates ), etc

Nobody is going to stop fighting their ship mid-battle to pick up crew.  This isn't a good mechanic and it would in no way reflect real naval battles.  After the battle, and assuming it hadn't torn off over the horizon, yes, but not during.

Depends on the battle, really. I often see on YouTube/Twitch ships spreads out in the battle area... there may be one pocket of ships engaged in heavy combat in one spot, and a few more elsewhere while some are on the fringes of the battle area. If I wasn't under immediate threat of attack and there were survivors afloat nearby I would definitely consider stopping to pick them up en-route to the enemy. 

Depends on the battle, really. I often see on YouTube/Twitch ships spreads out in the battle area... there may be one pocket of ships engaged in heavy combat in one spot, and a few more elsewhere while some are on the fringes of the battle area. If I wasn't under immediate threat of attack and there were survivors afloat nearby I would definitely consider stopping to pick them up en-route to the enemy. 

In my opinion, you owe it to your teammates to get your ship to them as fast as possible, instead of delaying to zigzag around picking up survivors.  Even if you're undercrewed by a bit, getting what guns you had into the battle as soon as possible would be the best goal if there is still shooting going on.

I'm inclined to agree with Darby in that it should remain a post battle mini game as it were. It is interesting though. Prisoners (officers) would be exchanged so how would that then be replicated in the game if we are going to bring up the issue of prisoners and their worth. They would have to have some significant worth to then collect them from a stricken warship.

To expand on this topic a little further, even when it was dealing with a ship that had struck its colors, the victorious ship, if there were still enemies in the area, didn't stop to take possession.  They didn't even stop though it meant a prize and head money.  They'd sweep on and trust that the stricken ship remained in place until they came back.  It's just not logical that they'd heave to and start the extremely laborious and time intensive process of picking people up out of the water.

• 2 weeks later...

so i though after a ship is sunk you could maybe go and rescue them, but only if they are from your team. this could replenish your crew and after rescuing a set number of crew you could maybe get another repair. 

you would have to be stopped to rescue the crew and maybe take 2-5 seconds for 1-4 crew members to be rescued depending on size of ship and how many places they could climb up. 

the repair could be awarded when you rescue 20-50 crew? 

just an idea to make it more interesting when ships are sunk. 

thanks for reading. 

To take the crewing conversation a step further....I think it would be much better if there are mechanics in place for filling a crew. Instead of buying a ship and automatically having it filled with crew maybe you only have a partial crew of those who survived your last sinking but then you have to find other crew members. Obviously this probably wouldn't be an issue if you are playing as say a military character but if you are a privateer or pirate finding crew becomes a bit of an issue. Wonder if there will be press gangs. Much of this relies on how the overall game ends up panning out but something to think about.

I like the Idea to bring up in Open World, you can go after the battel and save Crew of the same Country, take them as yours or bring them back to home of them and get some gifts like supplys or money.

Also i would like to take enemy Sailors as Hostages and sell them back to the enemy Country, but you may only get money for like officers.