Game-Labs Forum

There have been a number of discussions concerning communication and the etiquette of in-game chat. As an international community, it is inevitable that we will sail with players whom do not speak the same language as we do. This is no ones fault and should not be looked down upon. However, every well-rounded admiral knows that, especially during battle, communication is key. So how do we go about coordinating with those with which we cannot communicate? Simply stating "'X' is the official language now use it or sink" is a bit draconian (not to mention your message will probably not get across for obvious reasons). So I offer a possible solution: predetermined in-game chat options.

So you will be given a set list of options from which to glean possible phrases. For example

Answer

Action

Emotion

Person

Each of these will then lead to possible statements

>Answer - Yes

No

>Thank you

Action

Emotion

Further, more detailed phrases could be stringed out: Action>"attack" >Person

Answer

>Action - Defend

>Attack - Place

>Person - Enemy 1

Enemy 2

> Enemy 3

Then, because this would be handled by the programming who would already have all possible translations for all possible words and phrases on hand (and thus be completely localized), the computer will be able to spit out a phrase "Attack Enemy 3!" in whatever language the other player has the game running in (so this also works for multiple languages)

This would be crude, however it would be more effective than no chat at all. The dialect could obviously be fleshed out more as well (Action> Tack Heading> 90 deg= "Quick! Change Tack to 90 deg!" or Command> All ships> Battle Sails = "All ships, go to battle sails!")

Create global chat communication for all languages.

Add option to filter languages, ex. If I play in English and can understand Russian I will select those two, but hide all others. So, if someone said something in Spanish it would say in chat - (Player Name commented in Spanish) and if player said something in English/Russian I would see the whole post! 

In battle

​Create symbol communication system. Not words but pictures that all will understand. Only Admirals will have access to such battle windows.

Ex.

pic1224241_md.png

Code for each icon can be entered in chat, so admiral action icon will show up in chat and all captains can see it. 

ex.

00A - Attack nAw1YLU.jpg?1

00B - Formation Ynvoebz.jpg?1

00C - Focus Fire  9ta3zqA.jpg?1

In chat it would show up as a tiny symbol ---- Admiral (Players Name) ordered nAw1YLU.jpg?1 on (Enemy Player/NPC name)

What do you think?

World of Tanks (I know, I know, the devil) has quick keys for communication.  Attack <target>, Need Help, etc.  This can be language agnostic - if Spanish player 1 pops up a ship in their screen, and mashes the keybind for Everyone Attack this target, it comes across localized for each player's language selection.  On the one hand, we want a rich enough system that we can get many of the most commonly used concepts communicated with the least number of keyclicks or menu hits, on the other, you want some more advanced communications abilities.

Wind, you're really close there, but you require people to learn the icons.  You don't need the icons at all - you localize the icon's meaning into the player's chat using their language selection.  Instead of a fire symbol, a localized message appears letting the player know that another player has requested they attack a particular ship.  This combines with the Fleet Commander feature Admin discussed earlier to provide visual path guidance with plain text instructions in a "Signals" window.  

If symbols, at least make it flags.

Even if the flag makes less sense (because it is historically referenced), you localize it in chat just like Henry said. Even the chat with the flag signal right beside it (err, left beside it).

Kinda neat to add in the historic flag signals.

• Like 1

My cents.

After lobby, when teams are already choosen, but still before before battle starts,

1) add numbers for every player (random! not based on ship)

for example - brits team : B01, B02...

frogs - F01, F02....

2) add 30 second voting for commander for each side (of course -not visible for opposite side)

Since now, commander  can use set of icons, like proposed by Wind. 

I'm not big fan of flag (semaphore) system. Simple reason - it will be too exotic for casual players, and in effect - it will not help at all.

I could also suggest to use something similar to bf4 commo rose style. Different naval commands. Hold Q, use mouse cursor on enemy ship and select a command. 

Not a big fan of circular comms menus myself. Find them finnicky and unnecessarily... pretty. Im a big fan of tribes VGS system though, where V takes you to auto voice comms menu, next letter decides upon subgroup and last one sends the message. So:

VAA - Ill attack

VAB - Ill attack enemy base

VGY - Yes

VGN - No

and so on. It's tricky to learn it all at first, but before you notice you're popping these commands without thinking or looking anywhere, like your second nature.