Game-Labs Forum

It's the economy...

I've seen lots of discussion on these forums on national navies, realism etc. but in my opinion the most important aspect of any open world game is the economy: it dictates peoples behavior and aims and is the bedrock of any mmo.

I don't know what the current plans of the devs in regards to this are but personally I'd like to see a player driven economy i.e. supply and demand is (mostly) player based, although there should be a demand from each nation's 'homeland' most of the price fluctuations should be driven by players, you deliver a cargo of (let's say) guano to Havana, the price will subsequently fall by a small amount as farming needs in Havana are met - but since it's a large town there will be a constant demand for guano, so prices will soon bounce back again. I'd also like to see national navy numbers (of ships commissioned) based off taxation, thus the merchants and protecting them have an important role to play in the in-game economy, not just something a nation does because it's 'right' but because it's in that nations interest to (and a potentially lucrative career as a smuggler becomes very interesting!).