Game-Labs Forum

Best Historical Movie

felelo

Kellys Heroes.

... On more "historical" point of view...

Dont remember the tittle ,it was a ships name. Movie told a story about slaves who rebelled against the slaveship crew. They tried to sail back to africa but end up being trialed in usa. Good movie, worth watching.

Edit: movie name is Amistad.

Trailer

http:/youtube.com/watch?v=KP0hwVVUTaci

I really wish that this game wont end up cleaning the history of slavery and abusive actons of european nations / religions.

From the Killer Angles trilogy ( yes yes the 3rd movies is ghostware ) I definitely sit through God & Generals more comfortably than through Gettysburg. One is very good, the other is very very good.

My favourite from ACW still has to be Ride with the Devil. And if you get the chance to see a mini movie called The Calf, is quite nice as well ( but I love horses so easy to understand ).

As I grew up with a healthy diet of old war flicks and westerns and pirate errol flynn 'boyant stuff I seldom find a enticing movie nowadays. I completely dispense the "moral dilemma" ones.

I absolutely put The Blue Max as one of my all time favourites. It is a story in historical correctness. Great historical fiction with superb aerial photography.

The Duellist, as posted before, is another must see again.

Tora! Tora! Tora! first and Midway as second regarding my interest in pacific naval ww2 theatre.

The Admiral, japanese movie, is also a great recent one.

Absolutely loved Warhorse, but biased given horses are simply my favourite animal.

Too many movies, too vast collection, so many timeframes covered...

I saw the new movie about Michiel de Ruyter a few days ago, its about the naval battles that the Dutch fought in the 17th century against the French and English, they actually used real English and French actors in this which is a big + for me. (its only in Dutch atm) 

Master and commander is a very good movie, and one about Jean D'arc (Joan of Arc) forgot the name of the movie :unsure:

• Like 2

From the Killer Angles trilogy ( yes yes the 3rd movies is ghostware ) I definitely sit through God & Generals more comfortably than through Gettysburg. One is very good, the other is very very good.

I heard the extended version fo God's changed the tone entirely, and is not worth watching. I have not seen that version.  A friend of mine went down to where they were filming to be in it.

My favourite from ACW still has to be Ride with the Devil.

Ha! I thought I was the only one who saw that movie! Now there are two of us! Decent, overlooked film. "Rodel.... you want my bacon?"

For me, M&C is always up there. I also like the HBO efforts: Band of Brothers, The Pacific, John Adams.

• 2 weeks later...

the HBO stuff like Band Of Brothers is pretty damn good. There should also be a series called ' A Piece of Cake ' out there on youtube. Although the book is about a squadron of Hurricanes during the phoney war and the battle of France, the tv show managed to assemble a bunch of Spitfires since there were no Hurricanes available.

• Like 1

"Master and Commander" has been my favorite lately.  I wish they would have stuck more closely to the series though instead of combining multiple books/inventing their own story.

From a historical standpoint, "Apollo 13" was very well done.  The inaccuracies were fairly minor.

I also like "Ride With the Devil" and am surprised to find others have heard of it. 

I saw the new movie about Michiel de Ruyter a few days ago, its about the naval battles that the Dutch fought in the 17th century against the French and English, they actually used real English and French actors in this which is a big + for me. (its only in Dutch atm) 

Master and commander is a very good movie, and one about Jean D'arc (Joan of Arc) forgot the name of the movie :unsure:

I instantly felt in love with this trailer, looking forward to find the movie with english subs to watch as an admier of admiral De Ruyter. The Dutch must be so proud for him.

Kingdom of Heaven, its surprisingly accurate not just in the locations but the events and the characters themselves. A few dates are changed but, still quite accurate. Definitely one of my all time favorite movies.

Master and Commander is of course up there as a favorite for me, I do love the Age of Sail.

Band of Brothers would probably have to be, hands down, my all time favorite historical movie/tv series. I watch the entire series at least once every year.

Master and Commander

+1 def the best age of sail movie. and easily top 10 war movie.

Call me strange, but I  found the storytelling in "The thin red line" facinating....

another great movie.

i love anything from WWII. Fury was amazing(i'm a tank fanboy). i really liked Red Tails, even though it got alot of hate.

the 1981 Galipolli, and to the same extent the new 7 part mini series being aired in Australia atm called Galipolli as well.(currently up to part 4 tomorrow)

The Monuments Men was brilliant. if you haven't seen it, put it to the top of your list.

The 'true' stories i enjoy the most, the ones that actually make you appreciate what these men and women went through.

but i also like the re-imagined movies too. like Saving Private Ryan, Full Metal Jacket, Company of Heroes, Inglorious Basterds ect.