Game-Labs Forum

AI Kraken

b2sPH2k.jpg

AI Kraken suggestion

Before this idea is immediately dismissed let me start by saying I know this game is based on realism but in an MMO game there should also be some fun random elements added and besides the Kraken is NOT a mythical creature it's actually legendary one. Both scientists and historians have also debated its existence through the centuries as there are numerous reports of a giant squid like sea creature attacking sail boats during the age of sail period.

Think about it for a moment. An AI Kraken would be a perfect random event in an open world age of sail game. The mechanics behind it could be based off a chance percentage when a number of ships are gathered in one area and the Kraken could be limited to certain sea regions known as "kraken waters". It should also be a very rare event.

When the Kraken appears some Kraken-themed music should start and the Krakens job is to harass ships causing damage over time and players should team up to fight the Kraken or become victims of the Kraken. When the random event is finished and the Kraken is killed all players that took part in defeating the Kraken should be rewarded some gold or something.

I believe that a Kraken would be like the icing on the cake for Naval Action.

[Kraken themed music]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7uUVsfvlAzU

[some Kraken art]

kraken__work_in_progress_by_rkarl-d56zu6

kraken-2.jpg

Denys_de_Montfort_Poulpe_Colossal.jpg

Now I will tell you that there are two sea-monsters. One is called the hafgufa (sea-mist), another lyngbakr (heather-back). It (the lyngbakr) is the largest whale in the world, but the hafgufa is the hugest monster in the sea. It is the nature of this creature to swallow men and ships, and even whales and everything else within reach. It stays submerged for days, then rears its head and nostrils above surface and stays that way at least until the change of tide. Now, that sound we just sailed through was the space between its jaws, and its nostrils and lower jaw were those rocks that appeared in the sea, while the lyngbakr was the island we saw sinking down. However, Ogmund Tussock has sent these creatures to you by means of his magic to cause the death of you (Odd) and all your men. He thought more men would have gone the same way as those that had already drowned (i.e. to the lyngbakr which wasn't an island, and sank), and he expected that the hafgufa would have swallowed us all. Today I sailed through its mouth because I knew that it had recently surfaced.

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kraken

I'm torn.  I think it could be fun, but at the same time, I do prefer realism.  Perhaps, if it were AMAZINGLY RARE, like soooooooo rare that it's even a myth that it's in game....Then I could get on board.

• Like 1

You don't need to dislike the person to dislike the idea. It's very badly put out, very non-detailed and generally not something anyone with a right mind could get behind.

The fact that scientists <debated> existence of krakens is no reason to put it in the game. They could've confirmed it, this is still no reason to put it in the game. There is absolutely no gameplay analysis of how it would work, no reasoning for adding it, no sound argumentation on how to make it fit in... your whole idea could be as well summed up as "Hey, kraken! Also music. Because science!" and would be just as deep as your post. And if you want to add ONE mythical creature out of nowhere to a more or less realism-based game, you really need to do better than that.

I don't see no-one standing behind the idea as it is.

• Like 1

The fact that scientists <debated> existence of krakens is no reason to put it in the game. They could've confirmed it, this is still no reason to put it in the game. There is absolutely no gameplay analysis of how it would work, no reasoning for adding it, no sound argumentation on how to make it fit in... your whole idea could be as well summed up as "Hey, kraken! Also music. Because science!" and would be just as deep as your post. And if you want to add ONE mythical creature out of nowhere to a more or less realism-based game, you really need to do better than that.

I don't see no-one standing behind the idea as it is.

Before you get your panties in twist I suggest you read the wikipedia link I posted. Kraken is NOT a mythical creature.

Most open world games have AI random events, I don't see why NA shouldn't. I tried to give some gameplay analysis of how it could work, people are free to expand on it though.

I'm torn.  I think it could be fun, but at the same time, I do prefer realism.  Perhaps, if it were AMAZINGLY RARE, like soooooooo rare that it's even a myth that it's in game....Then I could get on board.

I think they should be very rare. It would make it all the more epic when you encounter one.

This is a case where if wikipedia says air is blue, air is not blue. Common knowledge is what people will use to judge the content you propose, and wikipedia will not make it common knowledge that Kraken is not a mythical being. For people it is a mythical being. For game purposes, and discussion purposes, it is a mythical being.

This is a case where if wikipedia says air is blue, air is not blue. Common knowledge is what people will use to judge the content you propose, and wikipedia will not make it common knowledge that Kraken is not a mythical being. For people it is a mythical being. For game purposes, and discussion purposes, it is a mythical being.

And just because you claim something is a mythical being doesn't make it so. The Kraken is actually a legend not a myth...

Or you could, you know, argue the semantics completely ignoring the point. Sorry, I got here for the discussing, didn't know it's not what the topic is intended for.

I'm out.

Showing your ignorance once again. This is not semantics my friend. There is an actually a difference between legend and myth, let me explain... Simply put legends actually have some proof to support the story as it reportedly happened during a specific historical period in time, myths don't. And clearly you came here insult my idea not discuss it...

Sure, lets bring Krakens, seadragons, giants, mermaids and all of the characters from the lores of seamanship.

BUT, if we do that, I really want that theres an option to counter some of these awfull encounters which might have dire consecuenses on poor sailors health and wellbeing.

We need something powerfull, something which has as strong mythical/legendary power as the mighty kraken and other seamonsters all together: Gnomes.

Gnomes are helpfull and positive characters as long as you dont insult them. They can counter ALL of the most common bad omens. Gomes come with moneyback quarantee which covers following threaths sailors might face during their travels.

Black bags

Gingers

Albatross

Stones cast to sea

Krakens

Women on board

Stepping into the ship with left foot

All the other Seamonsters

Looking behind after leaving from port

For successfull journeys, Gnome.

Now on sale with just 100 pieces of gold and 10 silver/month for the milk it needs to stay happy.

Dont leave from port without it.

http://blogs.westword.com/showandtell/02gnome.jpg

Sure, lets bring Krakens, seadragons, giants, mermaids and all of the characters from the lores of seamanship.

BUT, if we do that, I really want that theres an option to counter some of these awfull encounters which might have dire consecuenses on poor sailors health and wellbeing.

We need something powerfull, something which has as strong mythical/legendary power as the mighty and seamonsters all together: Gnomes.

Gnomes are helpfull and positive characters as long as you dont insult them. They can counter ALL of the most common bad omens. Gomes come with moneyback quarantee which covers following threaths sailors might face during their travels.

Black bags

Gingers

Albatross

Stones cast to sea

Krakens

Women on board

Stepping into the ship with left foot

All the other Seamonsters

Looking behind after leaving from port

For successfull journeys, Gnome.

Now on sale with just 100 pieces of gold and 10 silver/month for the milk it needs to stay happy.

Dont leave from port without it.

http://blogs.westword.com/showandtell/02gnome.jpg

Can't tell if your for it, against it, or trolling. But allow me to debunk some of those ideas in your mind...

Giants were real but were on land and not from age of sail period. Any "Seadragons" would of been a dinosaur, again not from age of sail period... There is zero evidence for Mermaids...

Giant squids are real creatures that exist today so putting the Kraken in the same category as Gnomes is like comparing apples and oranges.

There are some large squids in the deep ocean waters, sperm whales dive down and feed off them.  

These creatures likely form the basis of the legend (on that point OP is correct) but they aren't big enough to endanger even a row boat...

-x2 for lame idea

GiantSquid_m_0320.jpg

Yeah that one is not even a giant squid. The largest giant squid ever recorded by scientists was almost 43 feet (13 meters) long, and may have weighed nearly a ton.

O_giganteus16.jpg

Legends of a massive, ship-destroying kraken date back to Icelandic and Norwegian writings from the 13th century.

Its not hard to believe a bigger species of Squid could of existed back before the Sea was so polluted and populated considering WE KNOW MORE ABOUT the surface of the moon than we do about the bottom of our deepest oceans, There is definitely a strong case for the kraken to be made and i truly think it has a place in Naval Action as a random event AI.

I'll say what I said in this threads other version, and hopefully bring perspective to the people who hate the idea.

There's 2 versions of Krakens, the real version, and the legendary version.

The legendary Kraken; The legend was born of the Norse Sagas, and was described as being so large, It was mistaken for islands. From the Viking Age, to the Age Of Sail, the legend persisted, but morphed somehow into the modern depiction we have of large squid or octopi attacking sailing ships.

There's no scientific basis of any cephalopod reaching the size where It could attack, much less sink ships.

And, the real Kraken; Colossal Squids are estimated, conservatively, to reach a maximum length of 14-15 meters. Though some scientists claim that this species, separate from the Giant Squid, can reach lengths meeting, or exceeding 20 meters. For comparison, the Victory is 70 meters long.

I actually support either in game, for no other reason than It'd be fun to see one. Making it realistic, and merely as a chance sighting wouldn't detract anything from the game, or ruin immersion.

There's 2 versions of Krakens, the real version, and the legendary version.

And, the real Kraken; Colossal Squids are estimated, conservatively, to reach a maximum length of 14-15 meters. Though some scientists claim that this species, separate from the Giant Squid, can reach lengths meeting, or exceeding 20 meters. For comparison, the Victory is 70 meters long.

I like when science is invoked without context.  Yes, perhaps "exceeding 20 meters" but 20 meters of what?  The tentacles are 75% of its length and rope-sized at best.  I've seen one first hand in the museum I work at.

And to OP, posting B&W pictures of beach offal is not proof of anything.  Most of those early accounts of sea monsters were simply rotting whales...

giant-squid-hoax_75355_990x742.jpg

I like when science is invoked without context.  Yes, perhaps "exceeding 20 meters" but 20 meters of what?  The tentacles are 75% of its length and rope-sized at best.  I've seen one first hand in the museum I work at.

20 meters total length, tentacles and mantle included. Just to clarify further, when was Madoc also saying the largest specimen caught was close to 13 meters, this Is also total length, as are any theoretical estimates.

And to OP, posting B&W pictures of beach offal is not proof of anything.  Most of those early accounts of sea monsters were simply rotting whales...

Why would you post fake pictures? What a very dishonest tactic to try and disprove kraken... The one I posted was 5 meters in length not including tentacles.

And just to clarify the krakens that attacked ships were about the size of a sperm whale.