Game-Labs Forum

The Battle Of Copenhagen / Slaget På Reden

Sir_Wiener_Von_Snitzel

Hello I have ben playing naval action for about a week now and i love it, I have notice that you have, the battle of trafalgar in as a battle option. It is great fun. So i was hoping to see mor historical battles in the game. And since i am a dane the first battle that comes to mind, is the battle of copenhagen, The british was attack copgenhagen, the the danish fleet was defending, so it could be some some attack defend game play. Mayeb something like if the brist get to much damage to copenhagen they win or something like that. As you can see on the old battle map wFNaPum.jpg

how the fleet is line up in a good way to start the battle with the british coming in and the danes waiting in line, and the just some scenery that look like old cophagen in the distance 

ApudaPI.png

More Painting form the battle :D

0yoBekj.jpgGad2A6S.jpg3EBLswm.jpgZ2i5VVs.jpgKvG2wwi.jpg

And a little video abourt the battle - Nelsons hardest battle

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w6AU6gIW0q8

Sorry for bad spelling, my enlish nor danish in not so good. Hope you will consider this suggention

Great work so far!

Its a good idea but I see a problem in the fact that the danish line was static since the majority of the danish ships were block ships. Players playing the danish side would there for be limited to firings their guns and unable to maneuver which might not be all that fun.

One could of course chose to give the danish ships riggings and thus give the danish line the possibility of maneuver (maybe with a slight handicap in ship management since the majority of the crews were volunteers and not trained sailors). This would not be true to the actual events but a lot more fun to play.

i was thinking that the danish would just start in a line fomation, facing the way the enermys wherer coming form, and could not go as far out form the city as the brithis, and not even close as the british spawn point. or something like that. I must atmidt the idea is not complete, i just though i would throw it out there :D

Some paint show freggats and other big ships patrolling in the baggruond so not all ships where blocking 

zDM9QoL.png

The Trafalgar option in the menu has nothing to do with the historical battle. It is just a death match option that allows for larger fleet battles.

I don't know if devs have any plans to recreate historical battles. I think they are focused on open world implementation, but you could certainly imagine a distant future where there might be such special events.

Whilst I don't believe staging particular battles from history should be part of any campaign strategy, I do believe that such a seige should be possible during a war.

Defenders have outnumbered and undermanned fleet, they opt to fortify the approach to the harbour at the risk of harbour and city damage to bomb vessel firepower. They also get landsmen quality recruits during the battle, if ships are attached by moles or sufficient ships boats exist to ferry them to replace casualties.

I don't know if devs have any plans to recreate historical battles. I think they are focused on open world implementation, but you could certainly imagine a distant future where there might be such special events.

That would be a great idea. Maybe with some kind of reward for participating and/or winning like a clasp or a medal. The question is how ever if these event would be an integral part of the ongoing gameplay or sort of extra events without any consequences for the balance of powers in the ongoing game.

Copenhagen was a difficult battle largely in part to a Commander in Chiefs inability to be decisive on the spot due to how he interpreted his orders from the Admiralty. If this type of battle is included within the game then it would only be such a difficult fight because the attacking fleet did so too late. Hyde Parker delayed the initial attack and had it been given the go ahead then the Danish were in no position to answer and there would have been virtually no contest. Parkers delay gave the Danish substantial time to set up their block ships and arrange crews (even undermanned ones) for them. Of course it is easy for us now to judge Parkers inaction as we have the ability to see the consequences. If you ever get a chance to read Nelsons and Parkers correspondence though it makes for great reading/insight.

I forget the reference material I read, but it essentially said that the Danes were in a position to "potentially" win the battle. They had ships in reserve that did not enter the fray. The British ships, pretty beat up by this point... Correspondence between Nelson and the (? Prince or is it King) of Denmark actually resulted in the surrender.

None the less, if I have the facts less than completely accurate, it is a fascinating piece of history.

One last note I remember: Nelson was given the order (... Option, I guess one could say) to retreat. It is said that he put the scope up to his blind eye and commented to his aide that he had trouble seeing sometimes :) I paraphrase. He sounds like an interesting gentleman.

You are quite right that a letter was sent via Nelson and it was definitely a ruse that won the Battle. Essentially he said that he could not ensure the safety of the Danish prisoners and would burn their fleet without the ability to free those incarcerated in their blockships. The truth was that the British fleet had virtually exhausted its ammunition and its warships were in a very sorry state. The Danish fell for the ruse and the Battle ceased. The glass to his blind eye has never been proven and many have noted it as a myth, there were letters/diaries though that stated that he made a reference to being blind sometimes and did not see the signal; however raising the glass to his blind eye most likely did not happen. There are some great books on the subject and I would certainly encourage reading through both the literature of the Battle and letters/diary entries of those who were present.

• Like 1

IMAGINE!!!!  A RUSE!

That the battle could have so easily gone the other way.  God, that just amazes me.  And send correspondence!  How much more outrageous does it get!?!  It was an age that baffles me, but I am enjoying my studies thoroughly.  How did they do it?  A guy rows a boat to shore with a note?  Was it by flag?  How did the man find the king so easily / quickly?  How long did such correspondence take to send back & forth?  (it was 2 notes if, if I remember correctly).

Craziness.

It is an incredible battle for certain with interesting Captains taking part. Many overlook the fact that William Bligh (well known for HMS Bounty) was commanding HMS Glatton (the experimental carronade ship of the line) and interposed himself between the enemy and Nelson to protect the Admiral whose flagship was in dire need of repairs.The person who carried to message from HMS Elephant (Nelsons flagship) was named Thesiger as he could speak Danish. It was done under a flag of truce and was delivered to the Crown Prince at Citadel Point.

• Like 1

The Danish commander-in-chief was the Crown Prince (the de facto ruler of Denmark-Norway at the time) who exercised his command from ashore in Copenhagen. In the given moment presented with Nelson´s letter he probably did not have the full overview of the status of the ships of his fleet nor that of the enemy. Imagine making decision based on a naval battle you watch from ashore. Probably he could only see the nearest ships. The rest would have been covered in smoke and all information from the fleet commander (Olfert Fischer) would have had to be relayed to him by row boat from the flag ship.

I do not know that many details of the battle but I imagine, that an alternative outcome would have been a ceasefire between the combatants, the withdrawal of the british fleet (including their grounded ships) and the release of the danish prisoners.

The primary objective for the brits was to break up the armed league of neutrality between Russia, Sweden and Denmark-Norway. The league was dissolved anyway by the death of the zsar, thus reducing the importance of the battle.

• Like 1