Game-Labs Forum

Queen Anne's Revenge

Tyrelli

There are no contemporary images of Queen Anne’s Revenge, formerly the French slave ship Concorde. Archaeologists believe that the 1730 French merchant ship Mercure, shown here, was close in size and rig to the pirate ship.

2053.jpg

qarcut1.gif

57466d1251439299-ciao-queen-annes-reveng

• Like 3

The issue with the Queen Anne's is that it was not common for pirates to pilot vessels of that size. Pirates preferred smaller vessels such as sloops, schooners and brigantines for their speed and maneuverability, as well as their low draught compared to larger naval vessels (for their ability to more easily maneuver shallow waters)

Pirates did not have the ability to construct their own ships, and would almost always utilize refitted versions of captured ships, as with the Queen Anne's which was modified to carry additional guns (from 14 prior to at least 40 after additions, some stories say upwards as 44), for example.

Ships like the Queen Anne's and The Golden Hind were very rare and, if in game, should be considered the equivalent of SoLs for pirates: ships that are hard to acquire and very valuable and expensive to purchase/upkeep

• Like 3

I see nothing wrong with having the Queen Annes revenge as a high tier pirate ship. Then again I don't think it matters anyway because the pirates will probably have to capture all their ships in the open world so this may as well be a regular frigate for the admiralty and privateers. Pirates will just have to hope to encounter one and board her. :P

Each Nation should have a ship as a reward for completing all levels and tasks. Like POTBS 4th Rate 'Reason' that used to be given to all navy players as an accomplishment. Qeen Anne's Revenge would be perfect gift to all pirate players after they complete and reach maximum level in Piracy. Very good way to keep players happy. 

• Like 1

Each Nation should have a ship as a reward for completing all levels and tasks. Like POTBS 4th Rate 'Reason' that used to be given to all navy players as an accomplishment. Qeen Anne's Revenge would be perfect gift to all pirate players after they complete and reach maximum level in Piracy. Very good way to keep players happy. 

Hmmm, last time I checked, there where no classes in Naval Action and I sure would like to keep it that way. No levels, just skills which each player can use to build his own perfect captain.

The problem with 'levels' is that progression is a) step wise, introducing 'new' and 'better' at certain predefined (and often arbitrary) moments (unlocking ships is a pefect example of step-wise progression) and B) it puts a limit on how people can progress in the game, both in terms of diversity as in terms of focus.

Cheers,

Brigand

• Like 1

they postet diffrent nations and such, so many diffrent ships/types is comeing...  the whole market is player based, so a pirate could easy buy a big pirate ship if he pleases.. and dont see anything wrong with it.. if hes supporting the pirate nation/faction..  jolly roger i think it was called... 

Well, As far as a Pirate "Faction" you could have the Pirates Republic, Based out of Nassau "New Providence" (Assuming you want to say the british never regained control of it) and Tortuga (Assuming again you wanted to bend the timeline a litte) really the problem is that the age of piracy was over by about 1730.

• Like 1

This ship can be included in the game as it was essentially a customised frigate however I was under the impression that pirates were not being included as a faction within the game. I suppose it is because I have never been pirate minded that I don't have the same enthusiasm to include the ship as others but mirones is quite right that if the ship is included then it was a frigate and not a galleon.

She was a merchantman and Blackbeard made modifications to the ship. Don't really know what she looked like. Imo no need to include her in the game as a 'fixed configuration'. 

Implementation of modifications would allow pirate players in possession of a merchantman to convert and modify her, bascially make your own Queen Anne's Revenge to your own specifications. 

Much more fun than having a generic copy-pasta ship as the pirate player's goal. 

not a merchant build as frigate by the british then captured and used by the french as slav ship then captured by hornigold and given to blackbeard. ;)

But didn't the French modify her to be used as an effective merchantman? That would've been the configuration the pirates captured it in. 

I guess her frigate roots may have led her to have a bit thicker planking than your run of the mill merchantman. 

I support this. As far as design goes, I'd like the developers to be given somewhat free reign over this particular ship. Since there's no definite plans for her, It gives them some room to be creative, which I think would be great for them, and us since It's an entirely new and original ship.

Of course It should stay true to known facts and such, but It's a chance for a real unique ship.

The criteria for acquiring it, should It ever be in game, would be an interesting discussion too, but I don't think that just because real life Pirates rarely used ships of her size, that this should affect in game pirates. NA Isn't a still image of a very specific period in the Age of Sail. As I understand it, many ships, many decades, or even a century apart will be sailing side by side in game. There's no reason why Pirates shouldn't have access to whatever ship they can acquire in game, simply because "History".

Pirates had an role but not a nation they where independent captains that choose to kill people and loot ships mostly the ones from theyr own country

Nassau was, in effect, a Pirate Republic for a few good years. If the game allows It, I'd bet groups of players would aim to establish their own Pirate ports as well.

If we were to have the QAR in-game, which I'm all for, although we may not have any plans for here, there are certain things we know for certain about her, from which we can surmise details of her construction.

According to the research done by the Queen Anne's Revenge shipwreck conservation group, the Friends of the Archives of North Caroline, she began life as La Concorde, a 300 ton frigate, owned by Rene Montaudouin, a prominent merchant of Nantes. She cruised as a privateer armed with 26 guns during Queen Anne's War (the War of the Spanish Succession) to the West Indies, before undertaking three slave-trading voyages to West Africa and the islands of America, the last of which, her fateful final voyage, she was captured by Edward Thatch, aka Blackbeard and converted to his flagship.

Info here:

https://web.archive.org/web/20110727180932/http://www.qaronline.org/history/french.htm

From these facts we can surmise details of her construction.

Since she was built before 1710, according to RC Anderson's "Rigging in the days of the Spritsail Topmast" she would most certainly have had a spritsail topmast and been rigged with a lateen driver on her mizzen. Also, she would have had round-tops, rather than the later enlarged 'fighting-tops' with their squared-off after ends which we're all used to seeing which became universal later in the Age of Sail.

Being French she would be rigged with ties and masthead-halliards rather than the English practice of jeers, as was common foreign practice.

She would have also have no boat fenders down her sides (unlike La Rennommee) as this was not to come into common foreign practice until some 20 years later.

She would have also been built with a square tuck, as was the common practice with foreign shipbuilding, the continental shipwrights wouldn't adopt the decidedly English round tuck for another 30 years or more - it was actually a defining feature one could tell the nationality of a vessel by, if she had a square or round tuck.

This aligns perfectly with her descriptions, considering that a later witness of Blackbeard's described the QAR as being a "Dutch-built French Guineaman" - continental shipwrights shared many similar characteristics, to the point where the only thing defining a Dutch vessel from French could be her paintwork.

Her being initially armed with 26 guns while serving as a privateer is no indication as to her size, quite the contrary in fact, seeing as it was common practice for early 18th-century privateers to carry far less guns than their English counterparts, placing more value on their marksmen and musketeers, believing "Four muskets worth more than one gun[cannon]". (I'm not sure how much later this practice was carried on). This is also corroborated by later English witness who describe her being built to mount at least 40 guns, "The ship some say has 22 others say she has 26 guns mounted but all agree that she can carry 40." However these would have been rather small caliber guns.

According to the shipwreck conservation's website, the largest great-guns recovered from the wreck were 6-pounders, lighter caliber guns, which makes sense with her purported gun-count of above 40, the smaller guns would have taken up less space and thus made this large armament possible, also, they would have caused less strain on her relatively lighter timbers.

She could have looked similar to La Mercury posted earlier in this thread, albeit her hull would have had finer lines, she being built for a privateer, and later used as a slave ship would have necessitated her lines being designed for sleekness for the chase and on the Middle-Passage, a factor which likely largely contributed to Blackbeard's choice in keeping her and converting her into his flagship.

Most historians agree that she would have looked something very much like this before her conversion to the most famous pirate flagship in history: http://gallica.bnf.fr/ark:/12148/btv1b6935827n/f10.zoom

• 2 weeks later...

I agree and understand everyone concern that NA doesn't become POTC and tries to keep some integrity intact. However lets not forget the overall goal of our dear designers is to generate revenue and lots of people having fun playing NA does facilitate that goal. There will be parts of the game that aren't 100% accurate just for the sake of enjoyable game play. I understand everyone's concerns but a ship like QAR might satisfy those that want say the BP that is obviously a wild work of fiction out. gotta give a little sometimes for the good of the whole is all I'm saying.

Edited by Paxton Brimstone

I agree and understand everyone concern that NA doesn't become POTC and tries to keep some integrity intact. However lets not forget the overall goal of our dear designers is to generate revenue and lots of people having fun playing NA does facilitate that goal. There will be parts of the game that aren't 100% accurate just for the sake of enjoyable game play. I understand everyone's concerns but a ship like QAR might satisfy those that want say the BP that is obviously a wild work of fiction out. gotta give a little sometimes for the good of the whole is all I'm saying.

your signature is too big

• Like 1