Game-Labs Forum

British Seafaring Tradition (C. Caldwell)

Grim DeGrim

While not the topic we so passionately discussed, I read this... And upon finding it quite humorous, thought you might like it too. (other British enthusiasts may as well)

Robert Louis Stevenson and quote from his essay, "The English Admirals"...Stevenson in his splendid essay continued to give examples of the sea-going event which gave rise to the "noble, sound and the very proud history" of the hierarchy of the British navy.

"Duncan, lying off the Texel with his own flagship, the Venerable, and only one other vessel, heard that the whole Dutch fleet was putting to sea. He told Captain Hotham to anchor alongside of him in the narrowest part of the channel, and fight his vessel till she sank. "I have taken the depth of the water," added he, "and when the Venerable goes down, my flag will still fly."

Enjoy :)

• Like 2

Thank you Sir, just located the essay and I will read at my pleasure....

The lion is nothing to us; he has not been taken to the hearts of the people, and naturalised as an English emblem. We know right well that a lion would fall foul of us as grimly as he would of a Frenchman or a Moldavian Jew, and we do not carry him before us in the smoke of battle. But the sea is our approach and bulwark; it has been the scene of our greatest triumphs and dangers; and we are accustomed in lyrical strains to claim it as our own.

So true!