Game-Labs Forum

Sound feedback needed

Feels fine, although the first cannons noise doesn't sound like a full broadside. There's a little strange noise following each damage noise, half fire half hull cracking.

Basically I'd like a fully customisable sound. Some sounds might feel pleasant to some people and annoying to others. We could change the volume of the birds, the hull, the wind, the cannons and so on... Same goes for UI sounds.

Problem: cannon shots are not real at all.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i0KE-Vo0I0E

Guys try assassin creed black flag game, they have really nice sounds,crewman talking orders and screaming, shouts. we need man talking, singing during sailing. Overall sound is good, maybe add more Wind sound.)) Also, a :) dd distant explosions and shots like in BF4.

Problem: cannon shots are not real at all.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i0KE-Vo0I0E

Guys try assassin creed black flag game, they have really nice sounds,crewman talking orders and screaming, shouts. we need man talking, singing during sailing. Overall sound is good, maybe add more Wind sound.)) Also, a :) dd distant explosions and shots like in BF4.

cannon sounds will be improved + we dont have crew sounds yet.. will be done later.

also the video you provided.. those are not cannons shooting, but powder charges near the barrels.

• Like 1

I'm not familiar with blackpowder cannon fire, but have done some experimenting with blackpowder firearms, and there the sound is more of a "thump" than the sharp, high sound from the Victory broadside. Might be that blackpowder is burning slower than todays powder charges. 

I do thing the sound provided was in all could, and would most definitive prefer that.

cannon sounds will be improved + we dont have crew sounds yet.. will be done later.

also the video you provided.. those are not cannons shooting, but powder charges near the barrels.

ah, you are right, I like these too 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FUbnMDckkSE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SbhSAyjeA74

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I4EJLaHDHlc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GaPMODiGRWk

also check this out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jcRCQ8mhVNE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JqnANzzHcLE&feature=c4-overview-vl&list=PLF9D20BB62CC1833A

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The cannon sounds have the bass but they could do with a bit more "boom". It's a bit difficult to explain in text but maybe someone will understand.

Regarding the cannon ball "woosh" sound... I think that sound effect seems a bit too canned for my liking. It reminds me of gunpowder era movies(like The Patriot). Is that really how a cannon ball whizzing past would sound?

Regarding the cannon ball "woosh" sound... I think that sound effect seems a bit too canned for my liking. It reminds me of gunpowder era movies(like The Patriot). Is that really how a cannon ball whizzing past would sound?

we are not sure as we also have not heard it in real life on the ship. we will continue improving cannons sounds as we develop the game

I like the creaking of the ships, but it makes me wander why I don't hear more of the sea.

I take it the cannon sounds are supposed to be 'recorded' from the receiving side? otherwise I miss the thundering 'thumb' a lot. I've only heard a 1/2-pounder being fired, but that made a lot more sound. The main part of that sound was not heard though, but felt, something my computer speakers will surely not be able to reproduce.

I asked about the (sound-wise) differences between blank shots and round shots and I was told that you can definately hear the difference. But since it is very diffucult to describe sounds in words, and I'm not even sure I got exactly what he meant, I'm not going to try to reproduce his explaination.

Some things to keep in mind with most video clips of cannon fire is that:

a] The sound recorded and played back from a youtube video has lost quality on several steps. Usually the microphone used in the first step cannot cope with the whole range of actual sounds produced by a cannon shot (the microphone  designed to pick up human speach mostly), so they are not your best source for the real deal.

b] The sound of a cannon fired at sea will differ a lot from one fired near solid objects or even just a sandy underground vs water, the reverberation effects the sounds a lot.

Last note, the bell sound in the sound example sounded kinda dull, almost as if the bell was not free-hanging.

Cheers,

Brigand

• 1 month later...

The wind and the waves, the working of the ship, the distant gunfire were great.  The close up gunfire and explosions seemed kind of muffled, I'd like them sharper. 

I don't know if it can be done, but if there is a way, through stereo, to indicate which way the wind is blowing, left to right/right to left, I think that would help sailing.

• 2 weeks later...

One has to be aware of where the Victory is actually placed physically. The surrounding drydock and the multiple buildings nearby will throw the sound back and forth distorting it, not to mention that the microphone with which this was captured sounds pretty weak - all that makes the sound a lot tinnier (more treble) than what it would be on the open sea.

As with everything official so far, an awful lot of promise :) Loving each an every scrap of info, keep it up!

As far as constructive stuff goes:

- More thump and crack from the cannons please :) Thump muffled to some extent (noise would be contained by the vessel herself), but the crack should really ring out. As mentioned above, it's gonna be bloody hard to get an 'authentic' sound of great guns from any given perspective. All that's certain is that they've got to be able to open the adrenaline taps fully :) For this, they need all the tonal range you can give them, and this whole demo sounds a bit too heavily compressed...

- I quite like the creaking, but on deck this would be minimal, and closely tied to the conditions - no roll, no creak as a rule of thumb. Of course, these vessels with their heavy rig always roll :)

- Wind noise - pretty good if the battle took place during a gale! I'd expect to start hearing the rig hum at about 25-30kts of breeze over the deck, sing at 35-40 and howl when it starts getting really sporting above the 50kt mark. It should also be totally pervasive. The volume and tone change a little with the gusts, but if it's blowing hard enough to happen then it doesn't really fade in and out of the background like in the clip.

- Wave noise - more please :) The single loudest and most obvious noise under most circumstances (no storms or guns going off!). Thump and slap of waves against the hull up forward, and the hiss of the hull moving through the water as you move aft to the stern.

As for the bell - are the watches going to be rung? If so that's chuffing cool :) The sound was okay, but did sound a bit dead. Reminded me more of the bells on navigation buoys than a ship's bell. Bear in mind that it was a vital inter- intra-vessel communication tool and the phrase "ring clear as a bell" and I'm sure you'll get something suitable ;)

Very promising stuff, looking forward to the next update

Baggy

As a start, this is very, very well done. Props to you Game Labs for putting in the little things like the ships bell, and the crack of the rigging. What size ship was used in the testing of this? I think Brutish is right when he says the cannons need to be a little bit crisper. That being said, as this is the first sound file I have heard in NA, and you have already promised to improve the quality of those cannons, I give this a two thumbs up. :)

Pretty badass, actually. Clearly the perspective is below decks somewhere, which makes a big difference.

Clearly? Pretty sure being on the same deck as a gun being fired, receiving roundshot through the hull etc wipes out any other noise. Would be a pretty dull soundtrack of one shot fired followed by hours of ringing ears and deafness :)

The only observation I would like to add: please make wind sound vary not just with the speed of the wind, but with the speed and direction of the ship: if you are running dead with the wind with even wuite a strong wind, you should hardly hear any wind noises, just the creak of the ship and the splash of the waves, conversely, if you are clsoe hauled in even quite a soft breeze, you should hear a lot more whistling of wind.

I realize visually modeling all the blood and gore of a genuine Napoleonic era naval battle would be expensive and time consuming, but how about audio examples of the horror of war?   Or would screams of agony be too over the top?

On a less gruesome note, I would like to hear Chips the carpenter telling me "6 foot of water in the well" and some midshipman reporting our speed.