Game-Labs Forum

Ship Anchors

Dropping an anchor while under sail would be an unpleasant experience. If you are lucky the anchor will just drag through the mud and you'll slow down a bit. The less fortunate would have the anchor snag and then something would break, the cable, the anchor, maybe the retaining mechanism. The unlucky will have the anchor cable dragged through the ship, carving a nice big wedge out of it.

I think clubhauling was mainly an emergency maneuver, and only done at very slow speeds to ensure the ship made stays when being blown onto a lee shore.  To do so at full sail or a high speed would likely cause the cable to part and loss of the anchor.

I guess some people watched PotC.

• Like 1

Just imagine a new player letting fall his anchor with full sails.. What do you all think can happen?

I guess there is a very high chance you take down your masts and leav yourself as a hulk with a very questionable anchor on the ground. (doubtful in terms if it holds or not)

Also you will take damage to the ship's bow. The sheer force you put on the rope and the path the anchor cable is taking to the inside.. Not a pleasant imagination.

If you came here with the impression of "pirates of the caribbean" you must view everything they do with a very critical mind. Its not representive for the age of sailing and how it was executed.

It would be nice if you go to full stop (0% sails) that it releases the anchor, which then has to be retracted before you can set sails.

An option to anchor would be great. At the Battle of the Nile Nelson's instructions were to pick a target ship and anchor next to her.  I think what some people may not realize is that it took a sizable chunk of the crew to weigh (bring it up) anchor, and took some time to accomplish, unless you were willing to cut the line and lose it of course.

In the game at the moment 0% sails or stop is depicted as a "harbor furl", but a ship would not furl her sails like that in an engagement. To slow a ship would luff up into the wind or allow the sails to luff by easing the lines. A ship could also "heave to" in order to remain relatively stationary, maybe this can be done in game with manual controls though.

• Like 1

An option to anchor would be great. At the Battle of the Nile Nelson's instructions were to pick a target ship and anchor next to her.  I think what some people may not realize is that it took a sizable chunk of the crew to weigh (bring it up) anchor, and took some time to accomplish, unless you were willing to cut the line and lose it of course.

In the game at the moment 0% sails or stop is depicted as a "harbor furl", but a ship would not furl her sails like that in an engagement. To slow a ship would luff up into the wind or allow the sails to luff by easing the lines. A ship could also "heave to" in order to remain relatively stationary, maybe this can be done in game with manual controls though.

Exactly!  A few of us have been arguing to penalize going to full stop.

I can slow down and stop just fine with my yards.  Why should going to full stop slow down and stop faster than using it with sails which is closer to how they would have done it (though not quite, but still better and closer)?

I think clubhauling was mainly an emergency maneuver, and only done at very slow speeds to ensure the ship made stays when being blown onto a lee shore. To do so at full sail or a high speed would likely cause the cable to part and loss of the anchor.

Well of course dropping anchor under way was an emergency maneuver. But there is at least one account of a ship doing so during a chase, so that the pursuer shot past. I can't imagine that this happened at slow speeds.

Same for another Nelson famous - Battle of Copenhagen. Anchor and  arty spam ;-)

Well of course dropping anchor under way was an emergency maneuver. But there is at least one account of a ship doing so during a chase, so that the pursuer shot past. I can't imagine that this happened at slow speeds.

but, was that a fictionalized account or a log?

I think it would be neat for it (depending on speed) take armor off your ship, but imagine someone is on your ass would you rather drop a anchor and turn on them. It would be up to the person to use this tactic. I think another idea would be to add rows on some ships to go against the wind not to sure how good that would be, but if the real game is open world being able to go against wind could let you run.

If it were, and I'm running with the idea... Would there be a post penalty against mobility to take it back up? As I assume it requires a crew's focused effort? (huge assumption on my part, no prior knowledge, just going off player comments)

I wouldn't want to see this as a common place maneuver... I would recommend a 70% chance of failure with damage to ship. Why? This should be a move of desperation when at high speeds. At low speeds... I dunno :) quick, someone jump in!