Game-Labs Forum

Logo%20Signature_zpsj2iwm7wx.png

Recruitment%20Poster%202_zpswcqh9jhk.png

Dear Sirs, Madams, Captains one and all,

I cordially invite you to reignite the bonds of old. In fact, possibly the oldest alliance in the world.

The Auld Alliance (Vieille Alliance) was between Scotland and France, historically from 1295-1560. Having our way with ever so slightly as historical revisionists, we are reviving this alliance for Naval Action. Though the alliance formally ended in 1560, support from France continued during the Jacobite Uprisings. Even until 1903, any Scottish person living in France could receive French nationality automatically.

In a speech which he delivered in Edinburgh in June 1942, Charles de Gaulle described the alliance between Scotland and France as "the oldest alliance in the world". He also declared that "in every combat where for five centuries the destiny of France was at stake, there were always men of Scotland to fight side by side with men of France, and what Frenchmen feel is that no people has ever been more generous than yours with its friendship."

-------------------------------

I'm an Ex-PoTBs player (Pirates of the Burning Sea). I enjoy PVP - and look forward to engaging in as much as possible in Naval Action. That said, I have a deep appreciation for missioning and PVE. And I'm always looking for help from people smarter than I with Economy / Crafting / Trading. All skillsets wanted and needed. The Auld Alliance primary timezone will be North American hours. There is, however, opportunity to have a Admiral come in and take a squadron from EU or AZ timezones.

Edit: we now have a dedicated EU Squadron.

DESIRED ATTRIBUTES:

• Respectful of your teammates AND your opponents
  • Gentlemanly like
  • No forums PVP
  • Desire to learn (skill is secondary - we're here to have fun)
The prereq's only require a commitment to the desired attributes.

FIGHT FOR FRANCE.

FIGHT AGAINST BRITAIN (whom will undoubtedly be the largest faction in the game...)

The Auld Alliance is your opportunity to be a contributor and to influence its development. Website is under construction and is open to development by Alliance members. In the interim, contact me (GRIM DEGRIM) through NA forums.

Edited by Grim DeGrim
  • Like 2

Bonjour me ami

We wish you all the best of British Luck with your Fleet!

Until then Sir a wee glimpse of the true loyalty of Scotsmen at the Battle of Waterloo:

Sgt Ewart Capturing the Eagle of the 45th Regiment

dhm0004.jpg

Sgt Ewart is shown taking the French standard from the 45th French Infantry Regiment. Ewart cut down two French soldiers and the standard Bearer to keep hold of the Eagle and standard, he was ordered to take it to the rear. By being ordered to the rear, this probably saved his life and also the standard for the regiment, as the rest of the regiment continued charging forward to French artillery positions, much further than they should have gone, now with very tired horses and unable to rally, the Scots Greys were attacked by Farines Brigade of Cavalry (6th and 9th Cuirassiers.) and later by the 4th Lancers, very few managed to return to the British Lines.

• Like 1

Aye, 1815...just out of the time period for NA. By this point both Jacobite Uprisings put down, and Nouvelle France lost (Canada). It was a "different time".

But you are right about the daring and bravery of the Scotsmen. It is a good example of when the alliance is split: France loses, Scottish unit gets wiped out. Win-win Brits.

It was a "different time".

Yes - you will have to bear with the revisionist in me.  It is an exciting time that Naval Action offers you:

Louisburg was never captured.  The Jacobites did not lose at Culloden.  Nelson did not die at Traflagar.  Nouvelle France (Canada) is maintained through the heroic actions of Montcalm.  Neopleon wins at Battle of Waterloo.  Denmark and Sweden are still at war.  That is the range of possibilities in THIS history.

The logs & journals maintained each Captain will re-write the history of their nationsHow that story is written is up to you...

Aye, 1815...just out of the time period for NA. By this point both Jacobite Uprisings put down, and Nouvelle France lost (Canada). It was a "different time".

But you are right about the daring and bravery of the Scotsmen. It is a good example of when the alliance is split: France loses, Scottish unit gets wiped out. Win-win Brits.

Alas my friend, there above is the crux of the matter, we British are not so mercenary as you Frenchmen, ;)

"It is a good example of when the alliance is split: France loses, Scottish unit gets wiped out. Win-win Brits."

Sir we British would not look upon the above so coldly... for us its a loss of a British unit, not Scottish..... the result being sadly a Loss/Loss for all!

--------

Sir throughout history our relationship between our bordering nations (England & Scotland) has been a stormy one, but with it has grown a healthy respect, and as recent history proves when given the choice to leave this glorious union, they stayed!

No Scotland and the Scottish have been brave and loyal partners in Britain's wars against France throughout NA History:

1701 - The War of the Spanish Succession 

1740 - The War of the Austrian Succession 

1749 - The Second Carnatic War 

1756 - Seven Years' War 

1757 - The Third Carnatic War 

1775 - American War of Independence 

1789 - 3rd Anglo-Mysore War 

1793 - The War of the First Coalition

1798 - Irish Rebellion of 1798

1798 - 4th Anglo-Mysore War 

1799 - War of the Second Coalition 

The rest is well known history, with the final defeat of Napoleon and France at Waterloo!

History also shows us famous, known Scottish regiments being formed from the early & late 1600's. The Royal Scots date from 1633, the Royal Scots Fusiliers and the the King's Own Scottish Borderers forming in 1678 and 1689 respectively. All before and during the NA period.

So it seems my friend, despite the failed attempts of the Jacobites, the Scottish have been pretty much loyal and valued comrades in arms against France and her interests.

It seems somewhat improper that we would be having this discussion in my own recruitment thread. We can brandish intellectual swords elsewhere...

That said, you forget the heart of Scotland is in the Highlands. With the invasion of William the Orange in 1688 (9?), he deposed the true king James. The very forces you describe massacred the MacDonald in Glencoe after taking them in as guests (Earl of Argyll's Regiment of Foot). [interestingly, at the time there was murder... That was bad, but then there was "murder under trust", an even more henious crime]

***quick sub note - even 300+ years later, this event is remembered in my own community in Cape Breton... How the Campbells massacred the MacDonalds... Luckily no bad blood still exists! ***

The lowlands did transition to Britain more easily, however the dissolution of the clan system, the outlaw of the Gaelic language, and abolishment of the tartan are all remembered. I forgot to mention the land clearances for sheep, and the deportations to the carribean as "indentured surfs".

There is no denying... I'll have to find the qoute when I get home, but the English DID prefer Scottish troops as they were hardier.

For the sake of the Auld Alliance, our group allows non-french speaking individuals to engage in play for France, and maintain a connection to any roots they may have to Scotland. . And if you're French, then you fit right in as it is the 2nd half of the alliance. If you're neither French or Scottish (or of descent), it doesn't matter! We all like the drink and get along merry.

And remember, the "history" you represent has not yet come to pass in Naval Action ;) We'll write our own ending...

• Like 1

It seems somewhat improper that we would be having this discussion in my own recruitment thread. We can brandish intellectual swords elsewhere...

Quite right Sir.... my sincere apologies, the moment took me and I somewhat got stuck in irons. Perhaps if you are willing we should take this to another 'Historical' thread.

In the meantime I wish you and your no doubt honourable fleet the greatest of success, not I hasten to add, at our expense!

Salud

• Like 1

Quite right Sir.... my sincere apologies, the moment took me and I somewhat got stuck in irons. Perhaps if you are willing we should take this to another 'Historical' thread.

In the meantime I wish you and your no doubt honourable fleet the greatest of success, not I hasten to add, at our expense!

Salud

Ah, I had a feeling that you were but an excitable scholar with a passion for history! And a gentleman too.

Thank you.

So i get this right this fleet will be english speaking playing french and mostly based in North America.....

You can count this acadian in....

Indeed Ulysses :)

I have some friends that speak just French (I speak no French, but we shared comradery in another naval game fighting for France). So far one has joined. We may yet make an all French speaking squadron... It is really up to them! What I hope is to appoint a Squadron Vice-Admiral to attend to thier affairs.

I have some friends that speak just French (I speak no French, but we shared comradery in another naval game fighting for France). So far one has joined. We may yet make an all French speaking squadron... It is really up to them! What I hope is to appoint a Squadron Vice-Admiral to attend to thier affairs.

Amphore doesn't count.

*whisper* he's liable to get alpha spiked early ;)

That's sounds great.

An alliance with other clans would sound pretty logical, i guess. And would cover all the time zones.

I still don't know which clan i will choose (i prefer to speak french, since it's my mother tongue).

But i will have a close look on your clan, and hope to work with the Auld alliance, being inside or outside of your clan. ;)

• Like 1

I prefer to speak french, since it's my mother tongue.

I will have to get Amphore to come on and make a post in French.  We have 4 member so far, and 3 of them have french as their mother tongue.  Je ne parle pas Français.  That said, we are building this society to cater to both.  We currently have "Coin des Francophone " as a sub forums on our site.  Come to think on it, they are catering to me as I am the minority!  lol

You will find friends to speak French with :)