Game-Labs Forum

For open world it would be interesting to see a set of "rules" for players to follow and contribute to realism. There were two ideas where the concept of admiralty law could work, piracy and salvage.

The first being piracy because it is going to be popular. someone sees another player attacking someone unprovoked then they could file a report at the nearest port and get the pirate marked. The first incident nothing happens, then there would start to be increasing penalties the more reported incidents there are. Some of the penalties could include higher insurance cost and reduced prices for "questionable goods." Eventually the final penalty would be a bounty for that player and a reward for killing them and restoring peace.

The second thing is salvage. If a ship is sunk in shallow enough waters to be accessed by divers then someone could go to the wreck, identify it, and lay claim to anything of value. The player then remains over the wreck after laying claim to it and recovers the cargo while being vulnerable to attack. Once the cargo is recovered the player gets a percentage of the original value. The Spanish did this in order to recover treasure from their galleons that sank in the Caribbean so it would be a nice historic touch.

Admiralty law has a rich history and would be a nice touch of realism to the game as well as  provide structure to open world. The concept could also be expanded on to include more than my ideas but they were the first things that came to mind. 

• Like 3

As far as I remember, right now how they are planning it is that players who commit one act of piracy becomes KOS for everyone. Permanently. This will deter some people from becoming pirates, because it is really going to be a hard life being KOS to everyone else.

I AM....THE LAW! DROP....YOUR WEAPONS! THESE BLOCKS...ARE UNDER...ARREST! THIS IS YOUR FINAL....WARNING!

Ahhemm....I just hope it isn't a single, simple thing that could mark one as a pirate. Could suck massivly for an actual accident to screw over your naval career.

.... I knew they'd do that.

• Like 1

Hopefully  it's like... for example Red Dead Redemption, I know, it doesn't have to a do anything with the game, but the crime sistem was somewhat good, for example if you comited a crime you could redeem yourself by paying for what you destroyed or damaged, but if you killed someone the marshalls would go after you and give you the same treatment. This could work, you can redeem yourself for accidents and such, but if you comit piracy you done goofed.

It is a good topic.  I would also add that it be made to where we could change the national flag.  Attacking a ship flying the same national flag would make you an outlaw and all can attack you for bounty, and changing a national flag in view of others makes you suspect of outlaw behavior and are closely watched be the authorities, and a chance of being boarded by them to inspect you vessel.  In coastal regions, it is mandatory to fly a national flag.

It is a good topic.  I would also add that it be made to where we could change the national flag.  Attacking a ship flying the same national flag would make you an outlaw and all can attack you for bounty, and changing a national flag in view of others makes you suspect of outlaw behavior and are closely watched be the authorities, and a chance of being boarded by them to inspect you vessel.  In coastal regions, it is mandatory to fly a national flag.

Actually flying a false flag was perfectly acceptable for warships of the era, solong as you raised your true colors before you opened fire.

I'm pretty sure this has been covered.

There should be a deep penalty system, but I feel once you are considered vile against everyone and a pirate. The player should be able to re join society, as long as it is a long drawn out system to discourage flip flopping.

-Cannonball