Game-Labs Forum

Triangle Trade

I was wondering what kind of influence the triangle trade will have on the trade patterns of the open world.  I was also wondering whether slaves will be available to transport to the Americas. I know it's a touchy subject but it is historical. What do you think?

• Like 4

Honestly, I see nothing wrong with the transportation of slaves in a historical game. It's something I do not look at with a modern perspective but a perspective of a person living in the era. Now, if this was a modern maratime game, yea, I'd have an issue with it. But does it need to be in the game? Of course not. I could just as easily see people smuggle...like...sheep as opposed to Africans.

I see both of your points, but I think it could be fine if the developers handled it properly. Then again, I'm not sure. Maybe make it have a much higher payout but increase the chance that you will be attacked on the voyage or something like that. I mean, it is history :/ The game is meant to be as historical as possible. 

Removing slaves would be trying to forget or hide a dark chapter of our past.

This may be true, but it could also be argued that including it would be celebrating slavery. I wouldn't want to control Andersonville in a Civil War Game, of be head of a concentration camp during WWII.

• Like 1

Whats the problem with slavery? If its trying to avoid racism then it wasnt limited to a single.. "group"; Slavs such as myself were used as slaves until some pope decided u cant enslave Christians. Christians were also enslaved by Muslims and etc ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barbary_pirates ). Even nowdays ISIS is enslaving people (girls).. welcome to mankind.

• Like 1

Personally i have no dog in it, but in the "open world" version i have yet to see a precise date? But given the age of the ships, the British abolished trade within the Empire by this point, meaning the Royal Navy would be highly aggressive to any slavers found(if England isnt going to do it, they will be dammed if they let anyone else do it too was how it went), so from an "objective" view, although it would be profitable, it would also (or should) be a highly dangerous thing to do.

And as above said, slaves made up every group, the Americans, British and iirc Dutch and a few others invaded many muslim regions to free christians enslaved also.

Up to the devs, if its done well and in a respectful manner, then fine due to it being historical(and a massive part of history at that!), but dont go full racist, because that will not be good for the game or its PR.

If its illegal it could add another aspect to smuggling and piracy; Prolly unrealistic but could also add an option to enslave pirate ship crews for the incentive? edit: As pirate (Barbary Corsairs again) sell captured crews to Africa (to Muslims)? This could provide an equal balance between the groups of people being sold and slaved around instead of just an anti racism disclaimer like my previous post in this thread

inb4 you as financially struggling British navy captain capture a full slave ship and face a dilemma :)

I was thinking that if the game takes place after Britain's Slave Trade Act of 1807, then players can take jobs to deliver a set amount of slaves to a port or something in America by a given date. It's high risk due to British ships (both AI and players in the British army) but also high reward. I was also wondering what could be done in regards of AI randomly inspecting your ship looking for smuggles cargo or other things like slaves. I was also wondering what the community thought in terms of taking goods that were due to be delivered and selling them on some sort of black market. This can make you some quick dough but also can tarnish your reputation and can decrease cargo amounts and payments in the future. What do you guys think?

I think we can be historical without including slavery.  Yes, it happened, however, such a bleak spot in human history doesn't need to be placed in a game that is meant to be fun in my opinion.  Much like excluding women as ship captains, it's just an unnecessary bow to history.

In my opinion, killing of other people is a crime. XVIII-XIX  Navies were killing tools of colonial imperialism, based on the exploitation of conquered countries.

Therefore, I suggest removing PVP and PVE of the Naval Action. We, the people of the twenty-first century, we can not find pleasure in re-playing such crimes as imperialist war.

• Like 4

Europa Universalis is set in much the same time and the slave trade in both the colonies and the rest of the world is featured, no need to whitewash it here. 

If players do not like it, then they should use the sandbox to enforce it to be illegal, hunting known slave carrying ships for example. It opens more interesting situations.

I think that you should be able to transport slaves. However the Royal Navy and maybe some other nations could be against it so any ships suspected of carrying slaves could be boarded. This would make sure the game wasn't seen as championing slavery but it would still be included.

Above is totally meant to be tongue-in-cheek of course.  Actually, I think it has been shown that the pyraminds weren't built by slaves under the whip anyways.

Regardless, the debate that is going on here is constructive because it will have to be faced now or in the future.  The real problem in my eyes is the potential negative publicity that could be generated by having it in the game as part of the player/game economy.  There could/will be a backlash from segments of the public, likely outside the NA community,  and in truth the devs don't need bad press just as NA is shaping up to be something special.

This is a game, not an abstract economics simulation/computer model.  That said (and as someone mentioned) perhaps it can be 'written into' the fabric of the gameworld via NPC's.  So it is there, lurking in the seamier side of the world, and something to be stamped out.

Funny how those werent actually built by slaves to be honest :lol:

I know, I said that already but thanks for support...

Another issue along a similar vein is the conquering/exploitation of indigenous peoples.  All corners of the globe were occupied by people, some who had not developed sophisticated trans-oceanic transportation or more modern weaponry to defend themselves (opportunity for gun running then?).  To portray them as pawns in a game, as something to be beaten down in order to extract local resources more effectively is again not going to sit well with segments of the public. 

Not meaning to appear as PC here, but bad press is not needed to sell a game or tarnish its reputation before it has had a chance to be established.  I wouldn't want Naval Action to be labelled as 'that slave game'...