Game-Labs Forum

Naval Action Twitch Art Contest

- Fire on the uproll -

by Charles Caldwell - SLVF RN

NATwitchArtv1.png

Sailors Wanted

First Draft

LG9J40u.jpg

My 2 favorite.  Wonderful work to everyone.  It's an education to throw one out there and then see these beautiful works.

Edited by Grim DeGrim
  • Like 1

I like the most the Spatula's old timey logo and also the second one with vic...

The Caldwell's one seems a bit "naive" to me. I don't mean any offence, still a great work :-)

Edited by marecek05

After listening to everyone feedback on what they were looking for in a cover. I have gathered suggestions and came up with this:

Sailors Wanted - Final

CHfeFzK.jpg

The Cover on Twitch:

lD3RbGH.png

Very strong text! Good job. Try a burnt edges frame. Tweak image colors, it's too yellow. You can always go through screenshots gallery here on forums to find more images for your cover. Try different ones and see what works best. 

50 Fantastic Photo Effect Tutorials with Photoshop

http://speckyboy.com/2013/01/28/50-fantastic-photo-effect-tutorials-with-photoshop/

I am biased to the cleaner version with the anchor...or even the one where you made it look older.  On a small thumbnail, the ship will not be easily distinguishable (just my opinion...luckily Devs will have many choices to choose from).

You are good at this.  I like the additional little grace notes with the reflect under "sailors Wanted" in the bottom 2 images.

• Like 1

Good Point Henry,

Attached revisions with V in place of anchor:

SkaPcvS.jpg

OGgCLG3.jpg

I really like the second one.

One comment on this one though... could the "Naval Action" title be lowered a bit? The seaspray of the ship in the background is making the "Naval" part of it get a little hidden in the background 'noise' of the seaspray, especially in the thumbnail view.

Lots of great art in this thread though :) I am just jumping on the latest one :D

Tried white out, still feel like the gold stands out better specially with the spray of water in the background, but take a look.

Also moved the naval action piece down slighty.

DWloepx.jpg

I know its silver but if it was all white it would lose the texturing. 

Yme3dkC.jpg

WFso3RU.jpg

Edited by theSpatchula
  • Like 1

Loving your work Spatula although I'm not a fan of the "bottle cap" one the rest are amazing and the text is perfect.

I call the other one the "bottle cap" one because that is what I think of immediately. It stands out in a crowd of other game artwork but there is no messaging in it. The finest thing about NA is its looks but the prominent image is an anchor and you have to look quite closely to make out the underlying ship graphic. It also says nothing about the Action part of Naval Action. Although it does stand out in a crowd, it has nothing that pulls me in.

The other two are simply fantastic and I struggle to choose which one I like best. They highlight different things. The first one, the unique world environment and a hint of action and drama with the storm waves and the second one (do i have these in the right order?) the absolute beauty of the game and the age of sail.

CHfeFzK.jpg

I still think I like this anchor as a 'v' better than the current decorated 'o'. I know you changed it because of comments, but every time I look at it, I go: 'Ah, I liked the old one better'.

Just sharing my thoughts on this very nice design.

Also, I really like this Game Labs logo by @Deathwoof:

4kbe51.jpg

Cheers,

Brigand

I still think I like this anchor as a 'v' better than the current decorated 'o'. I know you changed it because of comments, but every time I look at it, I go: 'Ah, I liked the old one better'.

Just sharing my thoughts on this very nice design.

Also, I really like this Game Labs logo by @Deathwoof:

4kbe51.jpg

Cheers,

Brigand

I dunno... when I look at the one without an anchor in the O it makes me feel like something is missing... maybe because the top of the O is still decorated so I am sort of expecting there to be... more?

Then again.. anchor-V and anchor-O both look great so I can't decide :) Need more (others) that throw in more suggestions too :)

I would, except the creativity and painting skills I possess are limited to painting the exterior walls of a house :(