Game-Labs Forum

Slightly Agitated

Saliddry

I would pick up one of the Patrick O'Brian novels from your local library or bookshop for while you wait. Also if you really want to know about what sailing these ships was like John H. Harland's Seamanship in the Age of Sail is a good book too and should keep you busy for a while.

Are you kidding?  That's less than half the price I've paid for the last two early access/pre-alpha games, Battle of Stalingrad and Star Citizen.  Fortunately I'm not alone and both are shaping up fine...   :)  

Star Citizen is not on steam and we really have no idea how that will turn out.

I've almost 40 hours, if not more, already. At $1/hr, where can you go for that kind of value?

For a game that is alpha, what is built is polished, works well (even considering the improvements coming... That's right dmg mod 4.0), and new content in the form of shops.

Even if price were to go to half or nil, I would have no regrets.

I've almost 40 hours, if not more, already. At $1/hr, where can you go for that kind of value?

For a game that is alpha, what is built is polished, works well (even considering the improvements coming... That's right dmg mod 4.0), and new content in the form of shops.

Even if price were to go to half or nil, I would have no regrets.

You would pay $1/hr for a game? :P

Game looks great, apart from the menu's, hopefully they get a graphics designer for those. I understand they're working on mechanics and the actual in game graphics first though so gui

menus probably not high priority for them right now.

You would pay $1/hr for a game? :P

Back in the day in 1999 there was a ww2 flightsim called Warbirds that use to charge $1.99 per hour to play, and yes some people would pay that and burning big holes in their credit cards before it went to a monthly fee.  Kids today don't know how lucky they are when it comes to online gaming.  :rolleyes:

The ui and chat/battle menus are all standardisd Unity and will change on release but not in alpha, main priority is the Open World Travel test so the menus can wait.  :ph34r:

• Like 1

While I really like your thinking, you probably have to add costs for power consumption, a share of the computers buying price plus interest over the years and data, if you do not have a unlimited plan (e.g. in the US).

But all in all, you are right. It is not much per hour and the 40$ are well spend!

Back in the day in 1999 there was a ww2 flightsim called Warbirds that use to charge $1.99 per hour to play, and yes some people would pay that and burning big holes in their credit cards before it went to a monthly fee.  Kids today don't know how lucky they are when it comes to online gaming.  :rolleyes:

The ui and chat/battle menus are all standardisd Unity and will change on release but not in alpha, main priority is the Open World Travel test so the menus can wait.  :ph34r:

I beta'd Warbirds (started beta when it was called Confirmed Kill) and I couldn't afford to play when it was $1.99/hr.  That was ridiculous.

the game is not 40$ its 20 for teh game and another 20$ for the current yacht and since more content will be added to the pre order price will go up but the ones who pre ordered will get it all without paying extra. but that is old information no idea what will happen when steam EA comes

I would recommend reading the forums while waiting, lots of reading to be done on how to sail, how to shoot damage mechanics etc.  Get's you up to speed a lot faster than learning on the job as it were.  I did exactly that while waiting for the paypal issue to be sorted out.

Cheers,

Alan

I'm averaged down to less than $.06 an hour if that tells you how much I like the game.

I've had more fun in this alpha and prior to sea trials than about any game i've played even with the limited content. I am anxiously awaiting open world however.

• Like 2

Prior to WarBirds, there was Air Warrior, which started the entire massively multiplayer online combat sim genre.  I first flew that game in 1989 but didn't really play it actively until about 1991. But at that time, on the GEnie network, you would pay $6.00/hr during non-primetime hours (6:00 PM --> 6:00 AM if I recall correctly), and $12.00/hr if you flew primetime....which of course no one did.

So yes, I defintiely agree, people have NO idea how good they have it relative to the way things used were in the not too distant past....and also bearing in mind that was over a 1200 baud modem connected via a crappy phone line going onto an "Internet" that was anything but robust and stable.

As an aside I still remember the day that Kelton Flinn sorted out the packet routine to make real-time play possible (it was all scaled back to "half-time" originally to allow data handling to keep up with what you saw on your screen). Every online sim player owes Kelton a debt of gratitude for that game. It started it all and Kesmai broke trail for then entrie game space. Very inspirational folks in that company.

• Like 2

So yes, I defintiely agree, people have NO idea how good they have it relative to the way things used were in the not too distant past....and also bearing in mind that was over a 1200 baud modem connected via a crappy phone line going onto an "Internet" that was anything but robust and stable.

Times have changed and technology has advanced. I've been gaming on the PC since 2003 and never remember a game that charged a daily subscription let alone a per hour one. If a game company tried to pull a stunt like that today they would be laughed at. I guess they could get away with charging $10 per hour back in the 90's because online gaming was still in its infancy.