Game-Labs Forum

Moving from cannon aim to scope and back

After firing a ranging shot from very long range, I used the telescope to see where it landed relative to my target. It hit, so I exited the telescope and immediately fired the rest of my cannon. They fell way short.

I think this is because I lowered my camera elevation when I used the telescope. But my intuition was that the guns would remain at the elevation they were at prior to scoping.

If this is desired behaviour, perhaps leaving the crosshair marker on when telescoping from an aiming position might remind the gamer that the camera movements are still relevant to aim. Preferably, though, I'd much prefer the that the game record my camera's angular vector when I enter telescope, and snap me back to that angle when I exit, preserving the aiming angle. I think that this would be a good QoL enhancement.

You can freely move around in scope view without effecting your last cannon angle, but you must be careful that you don't move going between the two views. In my experience if you were in a small ship such as a Lynx it was probably do to the ship moving on the waves or a slight change in heel due to the wind. By the sounds of it falling way short I'd say that is what happened.

• Like 1

Was it also possible that the range between you and your target was changing?  I've had a similar thing happen when the range increased slightly while I was waiting for my ranging shot to fall.

This...  I find this is the reason that I miss shots that hit on the single range shot, but the broadside misses.  

I'll fire a ranging shot, and unbeknownst to me our ships are sailing at an angle which is either opening, or closing the range... so the ranging shot hits... then the broadside misses.

I don't really have any problem with this... I just need to be a better shot!  ;)