Game-Labs Forum
Ned Loe

Ship paintings (Art collection)

4535jacks    8

I am big fan of naval art and in particular Geoff Hunt and Robert Taylor. I am also very fond of David Bell who is a lesser known artist but over the past few years has been painting for Bucklers Hard and has a beautiful book called a nautical odyssey. This book contains many stunning watercolours from the 'nelson age' and I am lucky to own an orginal from the book depicting the Golden Hinde. I am also the proud owner of a another original D Bell watercolour depicting a small fictional frigate action between a Royal Navy and French Navy Frigate. This particular painting was commissioned by the author Martin McDowell to be used on the front cover of his novel titled 'A Question of Duty". I would highly recommend this book. I bought this painting because I have a particular interest in small actions between non-rated ships or sixth rates.

Here is a poor quality picture of the painting titled 'a question of duty'. (Apologies for the reflections in the glass!)

post-15161-0-86634100-1447277935_thumb.jpg

Edited by 4535jacks

Brigand    762

A Dutch East Indiaman off the coast of Hoorn

That looks like a mightily heavily armed ship. I guess either lots of artistic freedom or not an Indiaman?

Nice painting anyhow.

~Brigand

That looks like a mightily heavily armed ship. I guess either lots of artistic freedom or not an Indiaman?

Nice painting anyhow.

~Brigand

It said an East Indiaman so I'm thinking it's just artistic freedom

Sella22    638

f63207f007fb8d81a69bf25d25d3ddd5.jpg

A polacre flying the Greek-Ottoman flag by Antoine Roux

17-SanNicolo-Polacca.jpg

The San Nicolo,a 400ton polacre seen drying out her sails.The painting from life by Antoine Roux was reproduced much later,as was often the case,by his son Francois.In 1882, just before his death,Francois painted a large water-colour of the same ship which is now the property of the Musee de la Marine in the Palais de Chaillot,Paris.These lean and graceful ships were solely used as grain transports between the Black Sea ports and Marseilles.Usually manned by expert crews,they were capable of quite high speeds.The San Nicolo is shown moored by the Island of Pomegue off Marseilles,at a time when quarantine restrictions were responsible for a small fleet anchored there.The crew has taken the advantage of a quiet spell to hang out their laundry.

43-Xebec-1796.jpg

Dated 1796,this picture shows a xebec bearing the Greek-Ottoman flag at anchor.The mixed rig of lateen and square rigs appears to indicate a period of transition.The crew have rigged sails as awnings to protect themselves from the heat of the sun.

29-Brig.jpg

A small brig, doubtless of Ottoman-Greek origin, is here shown high and dry ready to undergo refitting. Her hybrid design is readily noticeable in this painting of 1796.

NorthernWolves    1,309

I have this one by Geoff Hunt, signed as well, but it is on the other side of the country at a family members house. I am desperately wanting it with me here on the West coast. It was custom framed and is stunning. He is my favorite by far.

fee8a55703205c92e8b3a38c49e46a63.jpg

maturin    5,454

The USS Constitution, by Geoff Hunt.

I commissioned this painting, and the original hangs on the wall in my bedroom:

const.jpg

Sheesh, how much does a Geoff Hunt commission cost?

Haratik    229

Was looking for a specific ship and came across some rather nice paintings of ships by an artist named Geoff Hunt:

Website link

rlirwh55wr4z0555hyitas4525032005081449.j

188d0f38d25aab416296e222e75ffc0d.jpg

plmagczgld34yj45jfh4r34518052009150041.j

hunt-unite-surprise.jpg

At least I know what artist to turn to if I want a nautical themed room.

Castillon    5

Claude Joseph Vernet

He was famous for his various painting of the french harbors during Louis XV reign. Most of those paintings were made between 1754 and 1758.

Bordeaux, 

Vernet-port-Bordeaux.jpg

Marseille

Vernet-entre-port-Marseille.jpg

port-marseille-f.jpg

La Rochelle

port-la-rochelle-f.jpg

Rochefort

1280px-Joseph_Vernet,_Vue_du_port_de_Roc