Game-Labs Forum

Prins Willem (Largest ship at the time of the Dutch East India Company)

Ned Loe

Prins Willem

The Prins Willem (or Prins Willim) was the largest ship at the time of the Dutch East India Company.

The ship Prins Willim was built in 1649 in Middelburg in the Netherlands and sank near Madagaskar in 1662.

Curiously, the name on the ship was Prins Willim. Two possible reasons have been advanced:

the ship's name is Middle Dutch

lack of space for the name caused the "e" to be changed to a shorter "i"

The ship was the flagship of Witte de With in the Battle of the Kentish Knock during the First Anglo-Dutch War.

795d4f8bc33d56c556231d20b705d3c9.jpg

5_b.jpg

abrouwer-albums-prins-willem-1649-voc-pi

Plans:

Prins_Willem_%282%29.jpg

Prins_Willem.jpg

Build Thread:

http://www.modelbrouwers.nl/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=23313

• Like 8

Well, on the plus side, it wasn't the original ship.  However, to lose such a valuable replica is awful.

well, imagen the time and efford allot of people put into building and maintaining this even though its a replica.. i bet the people that worked closely with her will feel like they lost a dear persone.

I'm not minimizing her loss, but from a true historical standpoint, it's very different than, say, losing HMS Victory or USS Constitution.

we lost a magnificent piece of history... whether it is a replica or the real deal, it was the only thing closest to the real deal:)

anyway, i know what you mean.

Don't shed too many tears for the Prins WIllim replica, fellas. I've been to the wreck after the fire, the whole thing was built on an ordinary steel hull. It wasn't a proper replica by miles. 

build on yes, maybe.. but everything else on it was made out of wood * see photos above*  and it is a piece of national history that we lost,.. and its a REPLICA for a reason, its the outside & the decks and visible details that count, not the parts no one gets to see, same for MOST replicas that can still 'sail' often have a back up ENGINE which they didnt have back in the day... are they also no proper replicas?  

you should be a little ashamed of what you said. it is tragic that we lost that replica, if you think otherwise go tell it to the people that put all their efford in it, bet you they dissagree and so do i, you are entitled to your opinion ofcourse, but telling us we shouldnt feel sad about it isn't really an opinion.

build on yes, maybe.. but everything else on it was made out of wood * see photos above*  and it is a piece of national history that we lost,.. and its a REPLICA for a reason, its the outside & the decks and visible details that count, not the parts no one gets to see, same for MOST replicas that can still 'sail' often have a back up ENGINE which they didnt have back in the day... are they also no proper replicas?  

you should be a little ashamed of what you said. it is tragic that we lost that replica, if you think otherwise go tell it to the people that put all their efford in it, bet you they dissagree and so do i, you are entitled to your opinion ofcourse, but telling us we shouldnt feel sad about it isn't really an opinion.

There were some doubts about the authenticity of it previous in this thread. All I did was disspell that by stating that it was only an exterior replica. It´s not Victory or Constitution or Cutty Sark burning down, or the Batavia replica hitting a reef and sinking. 

And telling me I should be ashamed...lol. As we say in our mother tongue: "Doe normaal, man".

• Like 1

And telling me I should be ashamed...lol. As we say in our mother tongue: "Doe normaal, man".

" Niemand moest zich eigenlijk ooit schamen te bekennen dat hij ongelijk had, want hij zegt toch alleen maar dat hij vandaag wijzer is dan hij gisteren was."

enough with the Mother tongue, we lost a piece of history, where people have put allot of effort in..  telling us we shouldnt care to much about it, equals me saying you should be ashamed. deal with it.

" Niemand moest zich eigenlijk ooit schamen te bekennen dat hij ongelijk had, want hij zegt toch alleen maar dat hij vandaag wijzer is dan hij gisteren was."

enough with the Mother tongue, we lost a piece of history, where people have put allot of effort in..  telling us we shouldnt care to much about it, equals me saying you should be ashamed. deal with it.

How is a static barge with an exterior tacked on equal to a piece of history? 

Look, I'm not saying we should take our pants off and dance on the tables because the thing burned down. It looked cool and was worth taking a peak at, but it was not an original ship, it was not a proper replica, it wasn't even an actual ship. It was more like a floating statue that was only accurate from the outside. 

Half the damn thing wasn't even wood. It's in no way comparable to a real surviving ship or a proper replica being lost. That's like saying that a wooden P51 Mustang replica burning down is the same level of tragedy as the loss of an actual, original, flying warbird.

It's a world of difference imo. Prins Willim being an exterior replica glued to a steel hull puts it into a completely different category than the one peoiple on here might've assumed it was in. Pointing that out should, rationally, lessen the hurt.