Game-Labs Forum

Target Marker visual aid

There has been an awful lot of comments and posts recently about removing the name from above enemy players ships, mostly that it is a targetting aid (Though I fail to see how this is any different than using the top of an enemy mast for gauging range)

However I wish to talk about the target marker we all see on the ocean as a firing arc, that indicate your current broadside dispersion and point of aim !

I would rather have the magic sea colour cone of fire removed from the game.

Instead have a couple of midshipmen/warrent officers/gunner stood at the ship rail, holding sextan type equipment facing either edge of where my near and far cannon are currently aimed. As my field of fire becomes more concentrated, so the midshipmen slowly turn so that they point along the lines that match the left and right edge of my cannons firing 'cone'

A new whistle sound added to the game when I have reached optimum aim from the gunners so that I know any further delay will not improve my angle of fire, that my expected area of shot has reached its narrrowest area of fire possible.

Perhaps the midshipmen also raise their fists to acknowledge they have reached optimum target point. (Borrowed from gun captains raising their fists when their gun is loaded and run out - ready to fire)

look forward to discussion on the matter

There has been an awful lot of comments and posts recently about removing the name from above enemy players ships, mostly that it is a targetting aid (Though I fail to see how this is any different than using the top of an enemy mast for gauging range)

I think I know the discussion you are referring to. My understanding was that the name removal proposal wasn't because people were using the visible name as an elevation or reference marker for aiming, but that certain players due to their status or reputation, were being focused on with extreme fire because people could see which ship they were and single them out. The argument was basically for the ships be to more 'anonymous' during the battle.

I'm not arguing for or against but wanted to clarify.

Thanks Leviathan, I think the other post became off topic quite a bit during its life, I'll edit my top post to be more specific to the OP subject

Anyhow I would still like to see peoples opinion on the matter of the magic sea marker :)

• Like 1

I am no expert, but just an idea, why dont we ask the dev's nicely to remove the names for a while to see how it plays out and if people like the idea remove the target marker for a while (maybe only for certain game types?) just to, umm, you know.... Test it out?

I am no expert, but just an idea, why dont we ask the dev's nicely to remove the names for a while to see how it plays out and if people like the idea remove the target marker for a while (maybe only for certain game types?) just to, umm, you know.... Test it out?

I'm open to that, but I am advocating replacing the magic discoloured sea with some on board aiming rods.... for aiming rods assume some ingenious quirky little graphic that simulates the gun captains of the extreme broadside, telling you where their aim point currently is.

In other words instead of the sea being discoloured with cone of fire, some small graphic from the edge of the ship rail simulates the same thing, it just wont reach the enemy ship like the magic sea does, but should be adequate