Game-Labs Forum

Question about system requirements and DRM

Vek74

I used to avoid steam like the bubonic plague when it came out, kept away from it and didn't have any feeling of "missing out". That all changed with "Empire: Total War" (would have lasted longer, had I only known what a mess this title was at release....). Since then I aquired a bunch of games through steam and other DRMs and so far haven't run into any issues. But if given the chance, I still prefer games that I don't have to run/install through steam. Guess I'm just old school in that way... or simply: just old ^^.

Steam is Steam.  It's inevitable that something like Steam will be the distribution and payment management structure for most new games.  

My question is about min requirements.  With the Paypal debacle about to be resolved, I'm poised to get this game (the kind of game I've been waiting on for a very long time), but I want to make sure my current system can handle it at good settings.  I have an i5 system running (o/c) at 4.3ghz and a nVidia GTX 560 card.  It runs everything else I have (a lot of flight, racing, etc sims and a fair number of other kinds of games) at good or ultra settings. 

Am I safe purchasing it without fear of needing to upgrade my video card?

Given that there are laptop users playing, I'd say yes... but at 1080p and no AA. Perhaps drop the shadows a level? These are guesses from similar questions on other games (such as EuroTruck) and should result in a playable level of detail.

Your overclocked i5 should be more than enough for the game's CPU needs but the 560 would require you to turn a few things down.

Well, I bought the game...because...of course I was going to buy the game!   At any rate, I thought I'd report that I'm able to run on High settings (just clicked the one High button and made no other changes) and I get perfectly good framerates.  I haven't paid close attention, but they seem to be in the 40-60 range whenever I glance at them.  

Just so others know that my now far from cutting edge system handles it fine. 

Given that there are laptop users playing, I'd say yes... but at 1080p and no AA. Perhaps drop the shadows a level? These are guesses from similar questions on other games (such as EuroTruck) and should result in a playable level of detail.

Your overclocked i5 should be more than enough for the game's CPU needs but the 560 would require you to turn a few things down.

im currently playing on a craptop from walmart some how it has sm5 and dx11 not sure how but who cares aslong as i can play this and the other gamesi play it kill time im good with it

I got Steam when the original Half Life came out and was forced on it. I really did not like it at the time.  but as others have said, I grown to really appreciate  the convenience of steam and the ability to keep my collection together. I have not had many issues of getting games to run and the few, very few, I have easily sorted out through the steam communities advise--note that all of the issues that I have run into were the games engine and design problems and not steam. So I do not really understand the hatred towards it that a some have, but to each their own. I suspect that most of the issue is that the game cannot be pirated or cracked if on steam.

There are other game collection sites that I do consider inconvenient such as Origin. That has become an necessary evil because of a few games that I can only get through it.  And because of U Play I do not buy Ubisoft games anymore (even if the game is on Steam it still has to go through U Play, figure that one out). So the OP may not find Steam to be that big of a problem. If you do reach out to the community on steam or google the problem. A lot of people that can help.